Night Eating Syndrome

Options
Does anyone else suffer from this? I haven't done it in several months, all the sudden I've done it three nights in a row. It's not like the stories you see on TV - I don't eat sticks of butter or anything, but I don't eat anything good for me either. I'm not completely asleep, I'm in a dream-like state, I remember doing it when I wake up, but I'm not 100% sure until I find the "evidence' (wrappers, suspicious tasting burps).... it's like I'm awake but I have no control over what I'm doing.

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Every night at 11pm I go looking for something. I know it's going to happen and I'm usually helpless to prevent it. Last night I just had a hand full of peanuts. You can brush your teeth chew a sugarless stick of gum or just go to bed. I know this and I still eat.
  • Gwynhyffar
    Gwynhyffar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from this personally, but my mom does. She really struggles with it and can't leave things like pie or cake in the house because she never knows when she'll get up in the middle of the night and eat a piece or three. She doesn't have much memory when it happens either, but she'll see the containers or wrappers. Have you talked to a doctor? Or maybe tried to deal with it through lucid dreaming and tell yourself while it's happening that you need to stop? I don't know if those things will work but probably worth a try.
  • holpan11
    holpan11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes I do this occasionally. It is usually when my boyfriend is working nights, so I don't know if it's an insecurity thing?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would lock myself in my room and tie myself to the bed.
  • ExtraordinaryMachine80
    Options
    I don't suffer from this personally, but my mom does. She really struggles with it and can't leave things like pie or cake in the house because she never knows when she'll get up in the middle of the night and eat a piece or three. She doesn't have much memory when it happens either, but she'll see the containers or wrappers. Have you talked to a doctor? Or maybe tried to deal with it through lucid dreaming and tell yourself while it's happening that you need to stop? I don't know if those things will work but probably worth a try.

My doctor has put me on a heavy-duty sleeping pill that is supposed to work, and it has worked in the past but no longer. I'm thinking it might have something to do with my horrid carpal tunnel syndrome - I wake up slightly when my hand is asleep and I think I don't go fully back to sleep.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My pschology professor in college also had a thriving practice helping people lose weight. He had a woman who kept a journal, but never lost weight. Eventually, the husband found her in the kitchen at 2 in the morning eating. She never knew she was doing it. The psyologist hyptomized her and she stopped doing it.
  • ExtraordinaryMachine80
    Options
    My pschology professor in college also had a thriving practice helping people lose weight. He had a woman who kept a journal, but never lost weight. Eventually, the husband found her in the kitchen at 2 in the morning eating. She never knew she was doing it. The psyologist hyptomized her and she stopped doing it.

Hypnosis may be my next step. I'm at a loss, I don't know what else to do.
  • ExtraordinaryMachine80
    Options
    Yes I do this occasionally. It is usually when my boyfriend is working nights, so I don't know if it's an insecurity thing?

I do the same thing! When I stay at my boyfriend's house I NEVER do it. I think it might be a loneliness thing.