Can certain foods make you gain weight?

Options
I've been on mfp everyday ,writing everything down, exercising 3 days a week if not 4 for an hour each time and i havn't really lost any weight.I had pizza last night for dinner (we do every couple of weeks ) but stayed at my calories and gained 2 lbs this morning! I was sooo hungry last night I thought it would be ok to eat it since I worked out,should I just not eat those foods anymore?It feels like I do this all for nothing!I don't want to quit but 2 months ,really!

Replies

• deb_jones
    deb_jones Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me with all that exercise, which is a good thing, you may be substituting muscle for fat which weighs more. Try measuring yourself or just paying attention to how your clothes fit.
  • kattp07
    kattp07 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel like my clothes fit good but not any bigger really?I take a boxing class and I do feel like i've gotten some muscle and i'm tighter,but how long do before weight comes off?I'm only 5'3 151lbs is just too big for me!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've been on mfp everyday ,writing everything down, exercising 3 days a week if not 4 for an hour each time and i havn't really lost any weight.I had pizza last night for dinner (we do every couple of weeks ) but stayed at my calories and gained 2 lbs this morning! I was sooo hungry last night I thought it would be ok to eat it since I worked out,should I just not eat those foods anymore?It feels like I do this all for nothing!I don't want to quit but 2 months ,really!

You're probably just bloated. Depending on how the pizza was made, it may have had a lot of sodium in it. Drink plenty of water and weigh yourself again in a few days.

You did not gain muscle after dieting and exercising for 3 weeks. It's next to impossible to gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit. And muscle does not weigh more than fat - it's just more dense.
  • melissa10666
    Options
    As long as you're under your calorie allowance you can eat whatever
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You're probably just bloated. Depending on how the pizza was made, it may have had a lot of sodium in it. Drink plenty of water and weigh yourself again in a few days.

You did not gain muscle after dieting and exercising for 3 weeks. It's next to impossible to gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit. And muscle does not weigh more than fat - it's just more dense.
    This. It's water retention.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    to me, if i eat carbs, even though i stay under my cals, i will not lose weight. at all. no matter what i do.

cut out carbs and viola. weight loss!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Salty food can bloat you quick.
    Eating pizza one night and weighing yourself the next morning sounds like water weight.

I bet if you avoid salty food today and drink plenty of water your weight will change again in the morning.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Pizza is full of sodium. It's water retention. No one truly gains 2 pounds of fat over night.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    to me, if i eat carbs, even though i stay under my cals, i will not lose weight. at all. no matter what i do.

cut out carbs and viola. weight loss!

I kind of feel the same =/ My diet is better than it was six months ago, my portions o\are smaller and overall more healthier. Fast food is limited to very very rare, when in the past it was 2-3x per week. But now I exercise an average of 5x per week, 60 min each time, and the weight is steady. Once I cut the carbs down, the weight goes... I just get so sick of the same foods!
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I join MFP in May and I've put on 7 pounds since I joined. I have a wedding to go to in August and if I put on any more weight I'm going to be totally bummed, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I work out twice a week and go for walk almost every morning, and I eat pretty clean too......SUCKS
  • LoraF83
    Options

Salty food can bloat you quick.
    Eating pizza one night and weighing yourself the next morning sounds like water weight.

I bet if you avoid salty food today and drink plenty of water your weight will change again in the morning.

Nice profile pic! I live about 30 minutes from there!!
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In my experience, a lot of restaurant and take out food is full of sodium. I'm usually always heavier from bloating the next morning, especially after pizza or Chinese food. Drink a ton of water today. I lose very slowly, so I take measurements too.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    I join MFP in May and I've put on 7 pounds since I joined. I have a wedding to go to in August and if I put on any more weight I'm going to be totally bummed, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I work out twice a week and go for walk almost every morning, and I eat pretty clean too......SUCKS

Have you figured out your BMR and TDEE?
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Our weight fluctuates daily. And not to sound gross, but how often we eliminate will affect the number on the scale as well.
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Pizza cheese is salty and it could just be that. Don't fret just keep at it. Losing weight is not as easy as gaining it and it is a process and a lesson in patience!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options

This. It's water retention.
    Agreed
  • angelica1125
    Options
    Wow I am in the EXACT same boat. I gained some weight after studying abroad in Italy and was probably between 152 and 155. Last summer I was down to 141 with mfp. I'm also 5'3 and after 6 weeks of a strict 1200 calorie diet and working out 4-5 times a day I STILL cannot break 150! It's so frustrating I know how you feel. I definitely look more "fit" than I was before, but you're right, we just shouldn't weigh this much!! You're probably like me and have a somewhat athletic build, and I'm fairly certain that after making these lifestyle modifications, we've gained muscle that's tipping the scale in the opposite direction. My clothes also seem to fit a teensy bit better, but not really. We just need to keep at it and try not to splurge to often! Stay hydrated so you body flushes out the water instead of retains it and helps to keep you full. good luck :)
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I typically have food that isn't necessarily nutritious on my weigh in day. For instance I weighed in this morning, already burned 475 cals on a nice run and will be going out to a late lunch, where I will start with a nice low cal soup and salad and then gorge on pizza, muffin and ice cream. Then Sunday I am back to my plan, till next Saturday.

This way your body will flush out the water gain by your next weigh in and you can enjoy a splurge ever now and then.
  • kattp07
    kattp07 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,i will keep it up ,I do think I need to watch my sodium more!
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    lots of salt, sugar, carbs. For me it's way to many carbs. Even if I'm under for my cals, if I have an over abundance of carbs it's bloat city and the scale jumps up at least a few lbs if not more.