Can certain foods make you gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• dnhames
    dnhames Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen to me. I am carb sensitive to high glycemic carbs such as white flour, pasta, sugar, fruit juice etc.

To loose weight I have to give all of these up, and get my carbs and calories from sources that are healthier for me. For me a calorie is not a calorie, it matters how that calorie impacts my blood sugar. I was insilin resistant, but so far I have corrected the blood sugar problem with diet. It is still very hard to loose weight even with counting calories and logging exercise. For some people the quality of the carbs really matters and health low glycemic ones are better. There are other people that can just count calories and not worry about the source of their carbs. If we have pizza I never eat the crust. I often add something else for me to eat because I know the consquences of pizza crust for me.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I join MFP in May and I've put on 7 pounds since I joined. I have a wedding to go to in August and if I put on any more weight I'm going to be totally bummed, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I work out twice a week and go for walk almost every morning, and I eat pretty clean too......SUCKS

Have you figured out your BMR and TDEE?

I looked at your diary and 5 days out of the last 2 weeks you ate over your calorie limit, and you didn't log 5 other days. So I'm going to say you're not eating at a deficit.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wow I am in the EXACT same boat. I gained some weight after studying abroad in Italy and was probably between 152 and 155. Last summer I was down to 141 with mfp. I'm also 5'3 and after 6 weeks of a strict 1200 calorie diet and working out 4-5 times a day I STILL cannot break 150! It's so frustrating I know how you feel. I definitely look more "fit" than I was before, but you're right, we just shouldn't weigh this much!! You're probably like me and have a somewhat athletic build, and I'm fairly certain that after making these lifestyle modifications, we've gained muscle that's tipping the scale in the opposite direction. My clothes also seem to fit a teensy bit better, but not really. We just need to keep at it and try not to splurge to often! Stay hydrated so you body flushes out the water instead of retains it and helps to keep you full. good luck :)

This happens to me, however that is your body telling you, you need to change it up. Try 5 days with no exercise, then go back to your regimen. I lost 2.6 lbs this week by doing just that. You should change things up like exercise and calorie intake every 4 to 6 weeks as your body will adapt. Its not science, but this works for me and I have continually lost weight since Jan 2012.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Salty foods can cause a short term gain or going over your daily calories over time will make you gain.
  • kculp73
    kculp73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How are you determining your exercise calories? Do you have a heart monitor that is set to measure your calorie burn? I saw in your diary that you typically adjust your intake to include exercise calories. It is possible that you are over estimating calorie burn and therefore eating more than you should to lose. I also noticed you don't currently have any MFP friends. Feel free to add me for support;)
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    to me, if i eat carbs, even though i stay under my cals, i will not lose weight. at all. no matter what i do.

cut out carbs and viola. weight loss!

So how many carbs is "too many" carbs? Fruit has carbs, and I don't want to cut out that. Not sure with all the material I've seen which is correct? I eat around 1200 calories and I do exercise. Thanks!
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS show a gain the morning after having pizza even when I don't go over my calories for the day. I believe it is the high level of sodium. Just stick to your calorie allotment for the day, drink lots of water, and you will see the scale go back down.
    It's not permanent, just bloating from too much salt/sodium. Btw, I notice 'the bloat on the scale' any time I have fast food.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @Katt 1394, the answer to your question is yes most definitely. It is more than a question of calories in versus calories burned. You need to be thinking in terms of a lifestyle change rather than a diet. People can diet and then regain weight when they stop their diet and regain the weight lost plus some more. A whole industry is predicated on this fact with some people becoming rich on the backs of others. Changing your lifestyle means getting more exercise, which you are doing. It also means educating yourself regarding the impact of food on your body. This means keeping an honest food diary of what you are eating and logging this on MFP. You need to understand what happens when you eat. Everything you eat is converted into glucose eventually. Your body then produces insulin to lower the level of glucose to a normal level. Insulin is a hormone which is a fat storage machine. By managing the amount of carbohydrates you eat each day you will reduce the amount of insulin your body produces and thus the fat being stored in your body. As you exercise you will begin to burn the fat already stored in your body leading to controlled weight loss and a better state of health. Assuming you have input your details to MFP and have been given a target, the next thing to do is to try and reduce the number of carbohydrates you consume each day. Have a look at the number of carbohydrates in your portion of pizza and you will be amazed. The basic micronutrients you want to focus on at the begining are CARBS; PROTEIN; and FAT. I suggest you try for no more than about 45 gms of carbohydrates per meal and allow say about 20 for snacks. Try for a total around say 150 for the day. Try to eat foods rich in protein which will avoid those hunger pangs. Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible because they are full of carbs and fat. You can, with practice, have a really nutritious and enjoyable diet by using these principles. Lastly and most importantly, remember MFP is a lifestyle change programme designed to lose weight slowly but steadily. It needs patience and persistence. if you employ these principles and keep up your exercise you will succeed. If you plan what you will eat and how much you will eat before you eat it you will be well on the road to success. I wish you well.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    @Katt 1394, the answer to your question is yes most definitely. It is more than a question of calories in versus calories burned. You need to be thinking in terms of a lifestyle change rather than a diet. People can diet and then regain weight when they stop their diet and regain the weight lost plus some more. A whole industry is predicated on this fact with some people becoming rich on the backs of others. Changing your lifestyle means getting more exercise, which you are doing. It also means educating yourself regarding the impact of food on your body. This means keeping an honest food diary of what you are eating and logging this on MFP. You need to understand what happens when you eat. Everything you eat is converted into glucose eventually. Your body then produces insulin to lower the level of glucose to a normal level. Insulin is a hormone which is a fat storage machine. By managing the amount of carbohydrates you eat each day you will reduce the amount of insulin your body produces and thus the fat being stored in your body. As you exercise you will begin to burn the fat already stored in your body leading to controlled weight loss and a better state of health. Assuming you have input your details to MFP and have been given a target, the next thing to do is to try and reduce the number of carbohydrates you consume each day. Have a look at the number of carbohydrates in your portion of pizza and you will be amazed. The basic micronutrients you want to focus on at the begining are CARBS; PROTEIN; and FAT. I suggest you try for no more than about 45 gms of carbohydrates per meal and allow say about 20 for snacks. Try for a total around say 150 for the day. Try to eat foods rich in protein which will avoid those hunger pangs. Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible because they are full of carbs and fat. You can, with practice, have a really nutritious and enjoyable diet by using these principles. Lastly and most importantly, remember MFP is a lifestyle change programme designed to lose weight slowly but steadily. It needs patience and persistence. if you employ these principles and keep up your exercise you will succeed. If you plan what you will eat and how much you will eat before you eat it you will be well on the road to success. I wish you well.

Solid advice!!
  • krystalhaze
    krystalhaze Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    While it has a lot to do with what you eat, it also matters WHEN you eat. If you are eating pizza at say 9pm one night and then waking up at your normal 6am to weigh, your body likely hasn't had enough "down time" to recharge itself and burn all of the calories that you intook (intaked??) the day before. I was reading about the importance of having a "fast" time between dinner and breakfast ("breaking the fast!"); it is important to give your body enough time to recharge itself... for instance, if you typically eat late dinners (8pm), try to wait 12 hours before your next meal. During the day, space your meals about 3-4 hours apart. And make sure that you're getting ample sleep (at least 6-8 hours). Sometimes, just not getting enough sleep and eating meals too close together can make a big difference in how your body burns the fuel you're feeding it!
    Hope that helps! Stick with it and don't give up... eventually you'll find the right recipe for your healthy self! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    While it has a lot to do with what you eat, it also matters WHEN you eat. If you are eating pizza at say 9pm one night and then waking up at your normal 6am to weigh, your body likely hasn't had enough "down time" to recharge itself and burn all of the calories that you intook (intaked??) the day before. I was reading about the importance of having a "fast" time between dinner and breakfast ("breaking the fast!"); it is important to give your body enough time to recharge itself... for instance, if you typically eat late dinners (8pm), try to wait 12 hours before your next meal. During the day, space your meals about 3-4 hours apart. And make sure that you're getting ample sleep (at least 6-8 hours). Sometimes, just not getting enough sleep and eating meals too close together can make a big difference in how your body burns the fuel you're feeding it!
    Hope that helps! Stick with it and don't give up... eventually you'll find the right recipe for your healthy self! :)

No, you can eat whenever you want. Time isn't a big deal. Sorry.

I ate dinner the other night at 10pm, then got up and had breakfast at 7am. I weighed myself at 8am and I was down a pound.

I also snack all day long, and eat when I'm hungry. Your body is a fine-tuned machine and knows how and when to process food.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is a whole bunch of nonsense. Meal timing makes no difference. The only way meal timing can effect your weigh in is the fact that FOOD HAS WEIGHT. If you eat 3 pounds of food, you will weigh 3 pounds more while your digests. Drink a pint of water, boom, you just gained a pound. See how ridiculous that sounds?

Sleep deprivation can affect weight loss, because it slows your metabolism, but meal timing doesn't matter at all.
  • krystalhaze
    Options

No, you can eat whenever you want. Time isn't a big deal. Sorry.

I ate dinner the other night at 10pm, then got up and had breakfast at 7am. I weighed myself at 8am and I was down a pound.

I also snack all day long, and eat when I'm hungry. Your body is a fine-tuned machine and knows how and when to process food.

Just advice that I read about, so apologies are unnecessary... and not everyone's bodies are "fine-tuned machines" yet because of how we abuse them with processed foods and excess stress and lack of sleep. The original poster sounded like she was having difficulty even though she has been eating the right amount of calories, so it might have to do with her habits/cycles. I also don't think that eating late is "bad" but it does make sense that it'd be important for your body to have enough time to recharge itself at night. And I snack also, but there is still roughly 3 hours between all of my snacks... that seems to be when my body says "I'm hungry" so it made sense to me when I read that that was the recommendation for keeping your engine revving.
  • krystalhaze
    Options
    This is a whole bunch of nonsense. Meal timing makes no difference. The only way meal timing can effect your weigh in is the fact that FOOD HAS WEIGHT. If you eat 3 pounds of food, you will weigh 3 pounds more while your digests. Drink a pint of water, boom, you just gained a pound. See how ridiculous that sounds?

Sleep deprivation can affect weight loss, because it slows your metabolism, but meal timing doesn't matter at all.

I wasn't talking "timing" but just giving your body enough time to burn calories... if you eat 1200 calories in one meal, it's harder for your body to efficiently burn those calories to provide you energy throughout the day, than if you were to eat 1200 calories spaced out over the day.

Again, just advice that I read, so I'm certainly not saying it's "proven". Just made sense to me.
  • tigersword
    Options

I wasn't talking "timing" but just giving your body enough time to burn calories... if you eat 1200 calories in one meal, it's harder for your body to efficiently burn those calories to provide you energy throughout the day, than if you were to eat 1200 calories spaced out over the day.

Again, just advice that I read, so I'm certainly not saying it's "proven". Just made sense to me.
    Again, not true. The body is adapted to digesting large meals. That's how humans evolved. Eating one large meal every day or every few days. If humans had to eat several times a day to survive, we'd have gone extinct a few million years ago.

How you space your calories makes absolutely no difference in how your body digests food. People only started eating more than once a day about 100 years ago. Before that, only the very rich rich people could afford the luxury of eating more than once a day.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Again, not true. The body is adapted to digesting large meals. That's how humans evolved. Eating one large meal every day or every few days. If humans had to eat several times a day to survive, we'd have gone extinct a few million years ago.

How you space your calories makes absolutely no difference in how your body digests food. People only started eating more than once a day about 100 years ago. Before that, only the very rich rich people could afford the luxury of eating more than once a day.

Tigersword knows the deal. I looked at your diary as well. You are most likely not losing because you are inconsistent with logging your foods, inconsisent with your caloric intake, probably not consuming enough water and probably over estimating your burns. Find out your BMR, TDEE, read about what they are and eat at a deficit of your TDEE. Take accurate measurements, eat at a deficit, try to meet our macros more accurately and you should see both the scale AND tape measure moving. This is a lifestyle change not a diet and it takes some serious focus, dedication and patience. It's not the weight loss race, it's a journey......
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds. I'm fairly thin now, but I'm naturally kind of petite. I say kind of BC I def have curves, bigger legs, bigger *kitten*. But although I've lost a lot of weight I def am skinny fat.

I eat a lot of frozen Amy's Organic Meals, Smart Ones,. Canned Soup and take out. I always go for healthy options but I eat way too much sodium. I bloat A LOT and I eat a lot of carbs, which is basically sugar...so I feel like even tho I've lost weight, I'd have better luck and less body fat if I ate cleaner.

Home cooked meals are best, but my family isn't one for home cooking. Minus grilling and I don't eat meat!

So I'd try and stay away from highly processed things. I'm really trying to get better about that. Really trying to pay attention to sodium and stay under wen I can. It can just be really tough eat veg in a house full of carnivores. I'll eat chicken sometimes bc I'm not morally against it or anything, it's just a life style choice/red meat/pork/fish make me sick but I'm really try to get away from the frozen food stuff, as convenient of an option as it is...
  • tigersword
    Options
    Being "skinny fat" has nothing to do with your diet, and everything to do with your exercise regimen.