Directv channels gone

Options
2»

Replies

• couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Well I can say from a Time Warner perspective when the whole NFL network thing happened. TWC thought NFL would cave in about the slight increase it wanted. Well that was about 5 years ago and they still don't have NFL network, but they did manage to have 6 increases in rates in that time span. So the whole argument about "we don't want to raise your rates" is bogus because they will ALWAYS raise your rates.

Directv has always had problems with this. Usually we'd lose a few channels and then they'd resolve it. At the end of the day these companies need to switch to a la carte service or something. Who really watches 18 shopping channels and 30 religion channels? I paid extra for the "sports" package because those were specialty channels I wanted. If these channels are part of an upper tier package you're already paying extra, so where's the argument?

Oh and Directv's argument: "well go watch it on viacom.com. They stream it there free." Viacom's response - they pulled the free streams because Directv was literally advertising it as an alternative.

I'd tell them that they breached my contract by not providing the channels promised and switch to someone else. Good thing I'd switched out a long time ago.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    These issues are one of the reasons I ditched DirecTV. Well, that and the fact that nearly 1/4 of their programming is infomercial channels. Plus, their bill was NEVER the same from month to month - ever. One month it is low and the next month it is nearly double and NOTHING changed on my account. Plus, they were impossible to have a conversation with on the phone.

My first choice is my cable company (though they are expensive at their stuff is reliable, the bill is the same and they are somewhat friendly to speak with on the phone) and next is Dish. It'll be a cold day before DirecTV or UVerse is in my home again.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I love my Dish Network
    Me too until I miss the Walking Dead cuz Dish is dropping amc then I'll be a Directv customer I guess.

I also have Dish and Breaking Bad starts on Sunday. I was trying to figure out where I was going to go to watch it. This morning on the news, it reported that Breaking Bad will be shown on AMC.com. Whew! Maybe they'll show your Walking Dead too.
    [/quote

amc will only be showing the first episode and it's on a different site specially set up to show the premiere.
    you also have to sign up for the site .
    here's info :
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57471585-93/amc-to-live-stream-breaking-bad-premiere-for-dish-customers/
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    We have DirecTv and we love it. We've never hadany major issues with reception- we'll lose it once in awhile in severe weather, but we used to lose cable for hours for no explanation. Wouldn't trade them in a heartbeat. Our bill is always the same down to the penny. We don't buy movies or anything.

This whole Viacom thing is both companies having a pis*ing war. I don't think we'll have the true story out of either sides mouth. We heard that Viacom pulled the channels, yet we read on Direct's website that they were "forced" to remove them. They had no control over Viacom scrolling their side of the story on those channels. Take those channels off and you get one side of the story. Viacom is raising their prices by "pennies a day". DirecTv doesn't want to buy all their channels as a package, claiming ratings are dropping on some channels. Both of these companies have such high profits it shouldn't be an issue for either one of them.

We called DirecTv last night. They've offered free Encore channels (snooze) and we told them that wasn't good enough. We now have $10 off our bill for three months. If the first rep won't help you, ask for their supervisor and keep going up the ladder until you do. My husband threatens to cancel every year the football package increases. He gets the price cut every year.

EDIT: spell check fail. : )
  • tcbutler
    tcbutler Posts: 146
    Options
    This is getting ridiculous! My wife and I have talked before about getting rid of any type of satellite or cable and just watch through NetFlix, HuLu or something like that. Now might be the time to do it.

We have DirecTV and my three little hooligans had a fit when their Nickelodeon channels went off. They are 8, 6, and 4. We explained to them what happened and they are complaining, wanting to know why those people have to be so greedy. LOL!

They are adjusting, but it would be nice to have those channels back.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i dont watch many viacom channels...i only miss my Daily Show & Colbert...i had to watch ACTUAL political news the other day :( lol