Shin pain when jogging , running and rope jumping .

Options
Hi ,
Was wondering if anyone could help me , I started jogging about three weeks ago as well as a bit of rope jumping too for aerobic exercise and have been getting very sore shins when i do it.
Is it because of my weight as i am still around the 280 pound mark or is it the trainers i have been wearing or just the way i jog ,
or a combination of these things .
Dont want to give up the jogging as i am really enjoying it , the shin pain apart ... any advice is most welcome

Thanks in advance

Gary

Replies

• historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Ohhh the shin splints. How terrible they can be. Ice them for now to help with the pain. Did you get "fitted" for your shoes? They do this at some stores where they look at how you walk and the wear on your old shoes. Having shoes for your stride really helps to keep your body in the best position and puts less strain on your body. Also, make sure you are stretching really well after a warm-up and I also stretch at the end of my run. It may take awhile for you to build up the muscles you need to build up to keep them from hurting so much. Good Luck!
  • Lillouns
    Lillouns Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Very likely shin splints. I use to get them when I first started working out. They do go away eventually but can be very achy. With your heel on the ground, lift your toes up. This should help them. There might be other things you can do, so maybe do a google search! :) HTH!
  • imogen11
    imogen11 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Gary,
    Sounds like Shin Splints! It's very common to suffer from them when you start running and, yes, you are right, it can be due to improper technique and/or simply the wrong shoes. You don't have to give up jogging. Just do some googling and figure out what you can do to reduce the likelihood of it occurring. I think it is also a matter of building up strength in your legs. When running, you're giving your legs a hell of a pounding and if they aren't used to it, you're going to know about it. :-) Best thing to do is take it SLOW - don't go too hard out too soon, take it really easy and build up distance and speed little by little. Do some reading on technique and try to keep it in mind as you run. If you also have the correct shoes, things will definitely improve. When I started running, I suffered from shin splints a LOT. I'm now regularly running 10k+ and haven't had shin splints in a very long time. Good luck! Enjoy the running!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This condition is called splints. I'd be very interested to see responses - I got it badly when I tried to take up running. Eventually I saw both a physio and a personal trainer, and they each said to just do some other form of cardio exercise. I can and do walk quite long distances, and the crosstrainer in the gym never caused me any problems either.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    OH NO!

I can totally relate to what you are going through! It sounds like shin splints (which is really a catch all bucket for a lot of exersize induced shin pain).

I have been dealing with them for the last 6 months- feel free to check out my posts about them. I've been ordered by the ortho to cease all impact activities for another (yes I said another, which means I've done this before) 6 weeks because I went so far as to actually tear a muscle in my shin. Not running and training is literally driving me mad.

In a short answer- yes it could be all those things you listed as reasons why. Your shins/calves absorb much of the impact from those activities and it is magnified or made worse by weight, poor form, poor shoes etc.

Things that may or may not help - really rest is the best way to go, (lessoned learned) try making sure you have atleast 48 hours inbetween activites- don't do things back to back.

Ice
    Stretching
    Foam Rolling
    Compression Sleeves/Socks
    Ibuprofen
    New shoes
    Gait analysis/Form correction

There is a crazy amount of information out on the internet- you have to decipher what seems the most appropriate to your situation and what works for you. Best of luck to you- I hope you get some relief- being in pain sucks!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Having the right shoes is definitely a must. Most shoes sold and sports stores or places like footlocker don't carry "wide" shoes. You feet need room to expand and you will see a difference in the discomfort you're having with shin splints. Everything is relative so doing the right stretches would will help a whole lot.

I suffered from shin splints and knee pain but when I learned the stretches that effect those areas it went away!
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    what has helped me with my shin splints is hooking my toes (with my shoes on) under something like my couch while i am sitting on the floor and then try to lift my toes. It is a way to strengthen the muscles on the front of you lower leg.
  • chunkyjeff
    chunkyjeff Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for the advice ...
    Think a trip to the sports store for some properly fitting trainers and maybe a little research on my technique is in order ... thanks for pointing the way !!!
  • cleorh
    cleorh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The main thing I noticed when I started running was how important my trainers were. I was just wearing a pair that I went to the gym in. I was getting hip pain, infact pain everywhere. I then went and got fitted for a 'real pair of running shoes' and boy I could tell the difference straight away. My advice would be to treat yourself to a good pair of shoes that have been fitted for your feet. Enjoy your running...I love it !!!
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi ,
    Was wondering if anyone could help me , I started jogging about three weeks ago as well as a bit of rope jumping too for aerobic exercise and have been getting very sore shins when i do it.
    Is it because of my weight as i am still around the 280 pound mark or is it the trainers i have been wearing or just the way i jog ,
    or a combination of these things .
    Dont want to give up the jogging as i am really enjoying it , the shin pain apart ... any advice is most welcome

Thanks in advance

Gary

Gary - don't give up the jogging if you love it. I used to get shin splints until one of my runner friends told me how to stretch. Before you go out for a run, point and flex each foot about 30 times to help elongate the muscles. This should really help a lot. Here are some other great pre-run stretches...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kju1-DGUro8

(Oh - and as you build the muscle, it will get better.)

Good Luck! Feel free to add me if you want. :)
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I get this!!

Thanks so much for all the advice and tips everyone!! :drinker:
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Wu Shin Splints aint nothing to f___ with