What would you do? - TDEE / HRM Related

Options
Hi All,

Last post asking for advice as think I'm about ready to get going with it all!

I have worked out what calories I should have daily by working out my TDEE (including 3-5 days of exercise) and deducting 20%.

It allows me 1805 daily.

However, I do own a HRM that I use for exercise, should I just NET at 1,200 and eat the extra calories my HRM says I have burned (deducting rest calories) instead?

I think I prefer the set amount of 1805 daily - as its rigid, rather than be eating high amounts then dropping to low amounts on non-exercise days?

Replies

• peppapig24_
    Options
    Anyone? Thanks
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have worked out what calories I should have daily by working out my TDEE (including 3-5 days of exercise) and deducting 20%.

It allows me 1805 daily.

However, I do own a HRM that I use for exercise, should I just NET at 1,200 and eat the extra calories my HRM says I have burned (deducting rest calories) instead?

I think I prefer the set amount of 1805 daily - as its rigid, rather than be eating high amounts then dropping to low amounts on non-exercise days?

I prefer the TDEE method. Yes, you eat more on rest days, but it all averages out. I like that you can plan your calories more easily.
  • beansNboo
    beansNboo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think both strategies will work just fine, provided you really are consistent with it. Personally, I might use the hrm method, as I find it would be encouraging to see how hard I worked on gym days - makes you wanna work harder and harder each time. I also use a fitbit to track my steps/stairs and it synchs really well with myfitnesspal. Again, it helps to keep me motivated... But you should do whatever you think will be a manageable lifestyle for you! Good luck! Keep us posted.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

It allows me 1805 daily.

I prefer the TDEE -20% method, as the 1200 cals MFP gave me is too low fo rme personally.
  • peppapig24_
    Options
    Thanks. I workout (boxing fitness) 4-5 a week, should I pick moderate exercise when working out TDEE?
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Instead of going nuts over what is your TDEE, why not just pick a calorie level you think is probably about 500-1000 under it, and give it a shot? The best way of estimating your TDEE is by observing what happens when you eat at a set calorie level. If you think you can lose a pound a week at 1800 calories, try it and see what happens. If it's too slow, try lower.