To rest or not to rest-?

Options
Hi, I'm totally conflicted... I've done 15 days of the 30 Day Shred in a row and the first week of Ripped in 30. Today is the first day I've noticed any real difference in how my body looks and I don't really want to have a rest day but I wonder if I should? I don't want to hinder my progress by being silly but I don't want to miss out on a day of endorphins either. Is a rest day totally necessary or should I do 30 Day Shred in 30 days without a break? Can anyone give me advice?

Replies

• Pilotgirl86
    Options
    #1: Listen to you body.

If you feel tired, and sore, take a rest day, if you're alert, you feel strong and are good to go, then keep exercising. We all need rest days, but I usually do this based on how my body feels, rather than a "regimen". The only time I take a rest day when I'm feeling strong is right before a race, or if I know I have a big workout day coming up.

I know that workout videos and such often program in rest days, but remember those videos are for EVERYONE, fat, thin, active and inactive. I'm quite active and run a lot, but I do 30DS just to help tone all of the flabby parts, so I never really take a break, whereas my mom when she started 30DS took a break every 2 days because she was really overweight. The healthier she got, the less breaks she took.

So listen to what your body is telling you! Sometimes it is nice to "save" your rest days for when your body needs it most!
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    always rest.

your body needs it.

you go too hard, you'll burn out.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes Rest by all means.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Don't stop for a rest... you'll regret if you do! When it doubt turn it into a 'light day' that's what I do.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred when I began my weightloss program back in January and I went for about the same amount of time before my knees were giving me a fit! So I took a day here and there to rest in between days (3 days total I believe), BUT I always got back on track the following day and finished out 30 full days (though not in a row) of the Shred. I lost 9 pounds and 2 inches from my waist during this time! :)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Listen to your elbows, knees and hips. If mild soreness transitions to ache or more, then rest.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Muscles improve and grow on rest days, not when under stress. You would be hard pressed to find a bodybuilder that worked each muscle group each day. It's just counterproductive, unless your only goal is endorphins or to eat more food. You can have the best of both worlds. Rest your muscles used in the DVD and get your endorphins some other way that day. Bike, hike, walk...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Muscles improve and grow on rest days, not when under stress. You would be hard pressed to find a bodybuilder that worked each muscle group each day. It's just counterproductive, unless your only goal is endorphins or to eat more food. You can have the best of both worlds. Rest your muscles used in the DVD and get your endorphins some other way that day. Bike, hike, walk...

Totally this! A complete rest day wouldn't hurt either. You come back stronger and you training after rest is more productive.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think you're right. I'm not overweight but this is the very start of my fitness journey so while I don't have knee pain or anything I have a little soreness in my muscles... Forcing myself to take a break for the day and maybe I'll do a little yoga or walk the dog! Thanks so much for the advice and the injection of common sense! :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have seen people post that Jillian was quoted as saying that 30DS was never meant to be done for 30 days straight with no breaks, and that she was surprised people were doing it that way. :tongue:

Personally, I always take at least one rest day per week, and sometimes an unplanned one if I wake up and the body just says no that day. Like mcarter99 said, the muscles need rest to repair and grow, and taking a day off is not going to undo any progress you've made with your workouts. If anything, it's more of a benefit. :smile:

That doesn't mean be a couch potato all day - go for a walk, take a nice bike ride or whatever, but just no strenuous workouts.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    I've never done the 30 day shread or even read about it, but when I was at Marine Boot Camp, we didn't do PT on Sunday. Granted, we still moved around alot but not PT.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm trusting that it won't undo any good I've done, thanks, I'm still new to all of this stuff, really still learning and I just want to do things the right way. I didn't sit on the couch all day though, chance would be a fine thing!!! Too much to do!!! :)