Gahhh! I haven't lost a pound in 2 years o.O

Options
I started exercising on a regular basis in May 2010...by September 2010 I had dropped 35 pounds and the scale hasn't really moved since (I went from 185ish to 150ish). I continue to do the same exercise program I started with (whenever I try to change it up I get off track and tend to miss days so I get worried about my aversion to novelty and go back to the familiar). I have been doing Tony Horton's P90 (not P90 x, but the pre-cursor). I have tried to play around with calorie-counting but that hasn't changed anything either...and I eat a very healthy, balanced diet so I'm not sure there's too much I could change there. Do I need to change my exercise to kick-start a bit more weight-loss? I decided that I don't mind being at this weight...but, honestly, I would really love to have less flab and I recently gained 4 pounds so now I'm feeling pretty blah.

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Is 150 within the healthy weight range for someone your height?

How many calories are you eating?
  • tinkerbelle351
    Options
    Sounds like you have reached a plateau. You will have to change up your exercise routine to jump start your weight loss again. However, if you are at a healthy weight and just want to tone, focus on exercises to tone your problem areas.
  • smoore0411
    smoore0411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    def need to change your workout routine. Let us know what you are currently doing and maybe we can throw some ideas your way
  • sleepynyago
    Options
    I am 5'5" and I carry most of my weight in my hips/thighs/arms. I can post a pic of my current self...not a great full body shot, but you get the idea.

IMG_20120502_131530.jpg

I think I eat about 1400-1600 kcal/day (this is my average intake when I tracked with MFP). I have been doing P90 5-6 days/week for the past two years. I also bike and walk a moderate amount.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It will probably help to switch things up.

Try setting your calories to maintance for a week or two and than drop them back down. See if that works. If not, switch up your exercise routine. There are TONS of videos out there if you prefer a video workout. Switch the pace at which you walk or add some time. Change your route (if you walk outside) to add in some hills and such. Same with biking.

Your body gets used to calorie intakes and exercises after a while so you need to switch it up to burn those calories. When your body gets used to an exercise you won't burn as many calories.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    When did you last take a week off from exercising?

How often do you eat over maintenance for a day?
  • smoore0411
    smoore0411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would add 2 days of weight training for 6-8 weeks and play with your protein levels. Gotta shock your body from time to time.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement with the adding weight training. That will definitely offer benefits.

Personally, I have been iffy on the whole idea of your body no longer responding to an exercise routine, but I am no authority in this subject, so I will leave that to scientific researchers.

Also make sure your calorie intake is under your TDEE (you should recheck your TDEE every time your weight changes!).

But, I think the weight training will give you good results over a few weeks. Takes time to build muscle, so don't push it. Just add the weights to your routine and see what happens after a few weeks. Don't try to change everything up.
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    I agree, if you aren't already doing weight training I would add that. Also, head over to the group Eat more to weigh less. This was very helpful for me. I am the same height as you and I was stuck at the same weight for almost 5 months, then I started eating more (1800 cals a day) and I'm starting to see some drops on the scale and on the tape measure. I also have a protein shake after every workout and have a high protein diet. I try to get in 130-180g of protein a day. It has seemed to help, I also have more energy to workout! Hope that helps!
  • MadamaOpera
    MadamaOpera Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in this exact boat. I upped my work outs from 30 to 40 minutes every weekday of cardio on elliptical an a trainer I met with told me to make sure I eat, however little, every three hours to up my metabolism and I still have not seen any weight loss this last month. I am very curious to try the weight lifting and extra protein thing but haven't worked up the nerve yet...