Could my hrm be right....

Options
2»

Replies

• tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    HRM is more accurate but you need to minus from it what you would normally burn if you were doing nothing. Someone on here once told me to minus 15 or 20% and enter that as my calorie burn. That would give you around 880 calorie burn. Which is probably more realistic than the MFP. I don't get anti HRM comments either. I researched and researched before I spent the money on one. They are going to be more accurate than any online calculator. Good Luck!!
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    I burned 5225 calories today over a six hour period, that averages out to about 870 calories per hour.... so it's not out of the question that you can burn 1,000 an hour.

Assuming your calorie burn is accurate. What were you doing? Running a marathon?
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    I was actually covering a local event on foot in 90 degree heat and had quite a bit of gear, as far as I know my HRM is accurate and I have calibrated it, you have to remember that this is over an extended period of time so if you break it down into hour long chunks it's a more reasonable a number.... I do P90X and I can burn over 1,000 calories in one session which is usually an hour. I think the added element of heat and stress can increase these numbers. I have had similar results when doing things like manual labor around the yard that required both strength and stamina, I think the lesson is it's not just traditional exercise that can burn calories but also just being active can help you reach your goals.... the next time you have yard work to do, strap on the HRM and see for yourself! :)
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    As was stated above, they are designed to be used during strenuous cardio activity, and when done so, can give a general idea of your calorie burn, but don't rely too heavily on it. If you wear it over the course of the day, over long periods of time, during strength training routines, or doing yard work, they become extremely inaccurate. Many things can increase your heart rate other than physical activity but that does not mean you are burning additional calories as a result of the high heart rate. For this reason, they need to be used during short, controlled, periods or the readings are worthless.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Another way to think about it is this, your heart rate increases when you are stressed, but being stressed doesn't cause you to burn more calories, but it will cause your hrm readings to suggest you are. Increased heart rate doesn't necessarily mean increased calories burned.