Sales Pitch, Truth or bit of both?

Options
Hi everyone - first time poster here.

Earlier this year I said "Enough!" and decided to get healthy. I found MFP back in May and I've been so happy to find a tool for weight loss instead of just flying blind. I'm 5' 5", 45 years old and was 212 pounds.

Since the beginning of May I've lots 10 pounds, which I've been very happy with. I figure 10 pounds over 2 months is safe and long lasting. I've been very tracking my food religiously and getting up early and going to the gym 3 mornings a week. My husband can't believe that I've actually stuck to this regimen for so long - especially since I'm not a morning person.

I've seen signs of progress - I have gone from 2 minutes walking/ 2 minutes running to 2 minutes walking / 6 minutes running. I've had to throw out two pairs of underwear since they were falling off me :wink: I spend 30 minutes on the treadmill and then 15 minutes on weights before it's time to get ready for work.

The problem? I got my body fat analysis done at the gym this morning, and while I've lost 10 pounds, my body fat percentage has gone up (from 42% to 46%). Apparently I'm losing lean muscle mass. The trainer at the gym wants me to hire her as a personal trainer at the cost of $600 a month for the next 6 months minimum. I really can't afford this.

Am I just hearing an incredible sales pitch, or am I doomed to diabetes in the very near future if I don't do her program? I did my blood pressure this morning, and it's a healthy 127 over 77. I've never been so dedicated to my health before so it was disheartening to hear her pronouncement.

I have some ideas on what I can do, but I'd like to hear from you good folks on the forum.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

The problem? I got my body fat analysis done at the gym this morning, and while I've lost 10 pounds, my body fat percentage has gone up (from 42% to 46%). Apparently I'm losing lean muscle mass. The trainer at the gym wants me to hire her as a personal trainer at the cost of $600 a month for the next 6 months minimum. I really can't afford this.

Am I just hearing an incredible sales pitch, or am I doomed to diabetes in the very near future if I don't do her program? I did my blood pressure this morning, and it's a healthy 127 over 77. I've never been so dedicated to my health before so it was disheartening to hear her pronouncement.

I have some ideas on what I can do, but I'd like to hear from you good folks on the forum.

1) Bodyfat analysis (most methods) have a high degree of error. I would also make a generalized statement that the heavier/more obese you are, it stands to reason that the error would likely be larger. I have nothing to back that statement up with, but as of now I believe it to be a reasonable assertion.

EDIT: To clarify, being that you lost 10lbs, lost inches, and you are now exercising, I would be suspicious of a 4% increase in bodyfat%.

2) I wouldn't think that your choices are "hire the trainer" or "be doomed with diabetes". It's very likely that there's plenty of middle ground there that will get you to a healthier and more fit version of yourself.

I can't comment on your specific training needs, but the fact that you're exercising and eating at a calorie deficit would lead me to believe that you will continue to reduce weight and bodyfat.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a sales pitch to me! I agree with you, you are totally losing at the right rate. As long as you feel good and continue to lose, don't worry about it.:smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    That trainer sounds awfully impressed with herself if she thinks her way is the *only* way to lose weight and bodyfat. There are plenty of people who have succeeded without paying a trainer $600 a month for their "expertise".
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Total sales pitch, and unless you were tested using a hydrostatic tank or a bodpod, it's unlikely to even be accurate. Plus, $600 a month is a ridiculous amount to pay a trainer. Do ou have the option of hiring a trainer for one session and see if you even like working with somebody? Personally, I don't need someone to motivate me to work and all I would want from a trainer is ideas and guidance on form with certain weight moves. That doesn't take multiple sessions.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You are doing absolutely fine. Do not hire a personal trainer... all he can do is suggest exercises and help with proper form, etc. He CANNOT help you with diet AT ALL. He is not qualified to do so, and diet is half the equation! $600 a month for HALF of what you need is a BAD deal.

You are lifting weights to retain muscle and are doing cardio to bump up calories used per day while reducing eating. You are fine.

Caution: Make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet! Lifting weights demands you get protein. Also ensure you are lifting challenging enough weights too.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    and to be honest, even if I DID need a trainer I would not pay one a TOTAL of 600 for 6mo much less 600/mo!!!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. I call bullsh*t.... 10 pounds in 2.5 months is amazing progress and you are doing fine on your own!

Also, as a previous poster suggested, there is a lot more wiggle room (pun intended I guess) in those of us who are larger... 4% "gain" in body fat is not a huge amount really and it could totally be from changes in how they are measuring. Also take this into consideration since it is a percentage of your total body weight... 42% at current weight + 10 could still be less total fat than 46% at current weight. Take into account you losing 10 pounds. I doubt you're "losing lean muscle mass" at a rate that would be detrimental to you or your health and you are still early enough in the journey your body is still like WTF? and adjusting. So stay the course, keep at it and you will be fine! You could have lost 10 pounds of fat but your "fat percentage" compared to your now smaller body weight goes up slightly... I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you are really worried, get a body analysis done somewhere else-someplace that doesn't have an interest in getting you to believe that you must buy their services.

Otherwise, I say trust your own eyes. Sounds like you are making great progress!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Oooh, sounds like a sales pitch to me !

Nothing against trainers, mind you :flowerforyou:

I began losing weight when I got put on diabetic meds ...... back then I'd just walk around the block every so often ..... later I upped to walking on a TM each day (no running) ..... nowadays I'm often at the gym for cardio & weights ...... as well as yoga, stretching, and Zumba ...... whatever sounds interesting & fun. I'm still losing weight & off the diabetic meds ......

My two cents ...... don't stress about this ...... smile sweetly & say "no, thanks" ...... it's only been a few months, give yourself some time ...... and a GOOD gym will help you with any questions ..... even if you didn't fork over buckets of $$ ........

Good luck to you !
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I once went to a dentist who told me I had 11 cavities, got a second opinion and only had 2. People who have needs are easy targets for those who make a living by meeting those needs. I'm not saying this trainer is unscrupulous, but I would take caution with anyone who tells you that you need to spend that kind of money to lose weight when you are doing just fine without them. Stay the course you are on
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You can pay me 600 a month. I'll tell you whatever you'd like to hear.

Rather more seriously - I think body fat is very hard to measure accurately. It's great that you are losing weight in a sustainable way, and exercising; that has to be beneficial, and I'd stick with that approach unless you get stuck.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    .... while I've lost 10 pounds, my body fat percentage has gone up (from 42% to 46%). Apparently I'm losing lean muscle mass. The trainer at the gym wants me to hire her as a personal trainer at the cost of $600 a month for the next 6 months minimum.

Oh boy...does THAT sound like a bunch of you-know-what. I agree with the consensus....if you are losing weight and feeling good, just keep on doing what you are doing. Don't feel pressured into accepting something you dont need and cant afford. :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Sales pitch. Run.

I think some gyms lie about our BF% to get us to do things. I really do. You can get a calipers and test your own BF% at home, for under $10 at Amazon.

Or just keep doing what you're doing and don't stress out over which parts of your body the weight is coming off of. It's going to be a mix of muscle and fat, regardless. Do what you can by avoiding aggressive deficits and doing some strength training and you'll be fine. You absolutely did not lose all muscle so far.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If I'm paying somebody $600, there will be a different kind of workout involved...

Are you Freaking kidding me? Goto the gym, start lifting some weights. You can typically hire a good trainer for $20-$40 per hour and I used to pay my trainer for one hour per week and she was an amazing trainer. Granted the cost of living and such is cheap here but I cannot imagine it being more than $50 in other areas. And even if it is, you don't NEED a trainer. Start lifting, ask the staff or other folks who seem to know what they're doing, "new rules of lifting for woman" seems like a good book to use for this too (haven't read it myself, just read alot of good reviews on MFP). Look up videos online and you're good.

I would personally recomend getting a trainer for a couple of weeks an hour a week mainly to learn the proper form and such but if you can't afford it, definitely don't NEED it
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Total sales pitch, and unless you were tested using a hydrostatic tank or a bodpod, it's unlikely to even be accurate. Plus, $600 a month is a ridiculous amount to pay a trainer. Do ou have the option of hiring a trainer for one session and see if you even like working with somebody? Personally, I don't need someone to motivate me to work and all I would want from a trainer is ideas and guidance on form with certain weight moves. That doesn't take multiple sessions.

^^this. Trainers are about $50 - $60 a session, so that would be approx. 10 - 12 sessions, which works out to be about 3 sessions a week. A nice luxury but not a necessity at all, and if you are layout out that much money and time you would definately want to ensure you like their style of training.

ETA: no way did you lose that much muscle mass in that time.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i would say just keep at what ur doing and u will be fine. look at ur diet and as long as its a healthy one, u are doing just fine
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

^^this. Trainers are about $50 - $60 a session, so that would be approx. 10 - 12 sessions, which works out to be about 3 sessions a week. A nice luxury but not a necessity at all, and if you are layout out that much money and time you would definately want to ensure you like their style of training.

ETA: no way did you lose that much muscle mass in that time.

I like her answer better than mine
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    the Maths of their machine are this

212lb 42% = 89.04lbs of fat
    202lb 46% = 92.92 lbs of fat

so they reckon you have put on 4 lbs of fat

join a different Gym
  • AllieBug25
    AllieBug25 Posts: 61
    Options
    For that rate, you might as well get liposuction or something.