Need Opinion!!!

Options
I am 46 female and have been sedentary most of my life... I am at my highest weight ever! My husband has helped me get started on a diet and exercise plan. I weighed in today for the first time after a week of diet and exercise. My weight went up 1.6 but my body fat percentage went from 54 to 52.3. My husband tells me I have done great but I need another opinion....even though he is ALWAYS RIGHT!!!LOL

Replies

• mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's quite common to go up a few right after you begin a new workout regime! Your muscles retain water as they repair and that will eventually change! Just keep doing what you are doing and you will see the scale start to move in the right direction! Good for you for making this change and best of luck to you!!

And I'm sorry that I had to confirm that he is right! ;)
  • allyson_65
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement....and He is always right about everything....he actually made me post this!!! LOL
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    He is right. OH GOD WE FED THE EGO...

You can stay the same weight by gaining muscle and losing fat at the same rate (If you gain 1lb of muscle and lose 1lb of fat, you didn't lose any weight!). But, you will look WAY better.

Keep it up!
  • TOPsRocks
    TOPsRocks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know it is SO frustrating to see that scale number move or not go down on some days. Don"t sweat it. :smile: Your body weight will go up & down as you travel thru your weight loss journey. Sometimes, it will be from higher sodium intake ( water retention) from foods or new exercises. It can also be afftected by how much food is still in your body & has not passed thru normal elimination. If you find the number on the scale is greatly effecting your mood/ motivation, I suggest ( like I had to do)~ Stop weighing yourself everyday. I even had my husband hide the scale for a time.
    Hang in there. Getting healthy is all about the Journey~ Not the destination.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    ignore the scale and measure yourself with tape measure.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Welcome !

I have one of those husbands as well :laugh:

Do your best ....... eat better & move more ...... you will lose weight !

Best of luck ..... in everything !
  • AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! And yes MEASURE and be less concerned with the scale. Do your clothes feel bigger? Muscle weighs more than fat.
    GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ray50296
    Ray50296 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! It will pay off sooner than you think!! :flowerforyou:
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! And yes MEASURE and be less concerned with the scale. Do your clothes feel bigger? Muscle weighs more than fat.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat and she hasn't gained muscle in a week or moderate exercise on a calorie deficit. I wish people wouldn't throw myths around like they are fact. It doesn't help anyone.

I'd be concerned, most people tend to lose water weight at least in their first week of dieting. Are you drinking enough?

How are you measuring the body fat? There are only two accurate ways to measure it and they involve specific tests. There can be a huge variation in measurements from scales and calipers etc.

I would really review what you've eaten, be critical and accurate and keep at it. It takes more than a week to see results.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't have any other advice to add, just wanted to congratulate you it sounds like you are heading in the right direction! I also have to stay away from the scale until weigh in day.
  • hyperionfall
    hyperionfall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • hyperionfall
    Options

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat and she hasn't gained muscle in a week or moderate exercise on a calorie deficit. I wish people wouldn't throw myths around like they are fact. It doesn't help anyone.

I'd be concerned, most people tend to lose water weight at least in their first week of dieting. Are you drinking enough?

How are you measuring the body fat? There are only two accurate ways to measure it and they involve specific tests. There can be a huge variation in measurements from scales and calipers etc.

I would really review what you've eaten, be critical and accurate and keep at it. It takes more than a week to see results.

you are correct..one pound of fat equals one pound muscle...however..muscle is more dense therefore 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat...this is what people mean by fat weighs more...so you are technicaly incorrect in your statement..second yes you can gain muscle mass in a week however there are genetic limits to this for sure...for women on average it is .25 to .5 pounds a week..however there are other considerations such as you can REGAIN muscle mass at a much faster rate than gaining NEW muscle (there have been cases as much as 8 pounds a week for this) but on average it is 1 - 2 pounds a week. her increase in weight as body fat % decreased is probably do to several factors such as water retention as muscles rebuild..and her body adjusting to lifestyle changes...the trick to the measurements is not so much accuracy as consistency you are looking for trending not specifics at her stage.
    I feel she is doing an awsome job...keep it up
  • Runner50266
    Options
    All of the above is true...and you are losing visceral fat as well. The fat around your organs that you can't see that is the most dangerous.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Good grief, can we all agree that when most folks say muscle weighs more than fat, they are referring to the fact that, for the same volume, muscle weighs more? The majority of us are savvy enough at least to infer that from the rest of their comments (clothes fitting more loosely, inches lost) I swear, there are people on here who troll around just to jump in and attack anyone and everyone not subscribing to their every thought and theory...just get over yourselves, wouldja?
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Muscles are heavier than fat so he is most likely right.
    Just the fact that you are going to change your life, take up exercise and you have your husbands support is fantastic and well done. Be proud, think of this as a good result because it is and keep on doing what you have been doing.
  • allyson_65
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement!!! I just did 25 minutes on the bike instead of 20!!! I am motivated and will keep it up!!!!!
  • hyperionfall
    Options
    woot thats my girl