Vegetarian Recipes

Options
dj_phx
dj_phx Posts: 115 Member
I have wanted to become a vegetarian for a long time, but I whenever I don't eat meat for a day I get really light headed. The only meat I currently eat is poultry, and I'd like to cut that from my diet. The problem I usually have is a lot of vegetarian dishes seem to be bean based, and as hard as I've tried I just don't like beans (except refried, but those aren't healthy). Does any one have any tips for becoming a vegetarian or any good recipes?

Replies

• AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Make a list of protein sources you like and are willing to eat. Eggs? Fish? Some refried beans are fat-free or vegetarian. Do you like hummos? What about soy products? Tofu? Once you have your list of proteins, you can find lots of recipes without eating beans. I hope this helps. I have two vegetarian daughters, but they like beans. I eat everything, but not a whole lot of meat.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You might try looking into using Boca crumbles or textured vegetable protein (TVP) as a substitute for ground meat. I use TVP (approx 2/3 cup = 1 lb of ground beef or turkey) & a can of Manwich to make vegetarian sloppy joes, and like them just as well as the traditional meat version.

I've seen recipes using TVP as the basis for taco filling, but I just didn't care for it too much. But Boca crumbles make delicious filling for vegetarian tacos. Can't tell any difference between them and meat.

I am not a vegetarian, but my boyfriend is (much to my chagrin, lol)--so I've been forced to do some vegetarian cooking. Hopefully these tips will help you out. Good luck!
  • halarson24
    halarson24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lentils are a good "gateway" bean because they cook faster than other dried beans and are smaller and so are easier to hide with other recipes. I have a recipe for a lentil confetti salad that is loaded with good flavors that I hope you'll like

http://hollylarsonrd.blogspot.com/2012/06/lovely-legumes-confetti-lentil-salad.html

Good luck!

Holly
  • dj_phx
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I have been meaning to try lentils, I'll have to look into them more.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Bean Fan.....so wondering why would you not like Beans......please explain what you do and how you cook them, and why and what they do to you....there is so many different Bean Variety's.....hmmm Potato Beans and the list goes on and on
  • dj_phx
    Options
    I'm a huge Bean Fan.....so wondering why would you not like Beans......please explain what you do and how you cook them, and why and what they do to you....there is so many different Bean Variety's.....hmmm Potato Beans and the list goes on and on

It might sound weird but a lot of it has to to with the texture of the beans. I don't like the taste/feel of breaking then in my mouth. I've them in a variety of different dishes. I've tried pinto, navy, black beans and I'm sure others I can't think of. I can't eat soup that has them in it, or chili. When I bite into one I have a gag reflex. I'm going to keep trying them, because I'm sure I would get used to them, but I can't rely on eatting them, sinceI usually can't bring myself to finish a meal with beans in it.
  • jbaran4
    jbaran4 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 20 years and there are so many more options now than when I was 8. Boca burgers, Morningstar veggie nuggets and goodlife hotdogs are all great items to have in your fridge. If you don't like the texture of beans, try mashing them and adding them in as a combining agent. You vould mash up some black beans and add in some mexican ingredients to top a veggie burger.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    mushrooms of any sort are a great "meat replacement" but i would steer clear of thinking of it that way. in any case, when a recipe calls for meat, i will often use mushrooms.

edit: also many mild peppers are very "fleshy". you may have to seek better ones outside of the grocery store, as groceries tend to have the worst peppers around. check at farmer's markets & stands in your area if you have them.

regarding beans: you may want to try working with chickpeas. they are unbelievably versatile and can be mashed, ground or minced into a bizillion different "meaty" things.

basically, any fruit or vegetable that has a nice, thick, fleshy wall will make a good "meat" and then certain grains can help bulk them up. don't forget oatmeal as a "filler" or quinoa.
  • flickerflynn
    Options
    I just had a salad with black beans sprinkled over it. With a fruity vinegarette, you get full, without tasting beans. Also humus is a great bean source, used as a dip or spread in a sandwich of lettuce, tomato, onion, mushroom, green&/or red pepper.
  • dj_phx
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Mashing up the beans might work, I'll try that. Also, I don't like mushrooms either, but the peppers sound like a good idea. I'll try that.
  • andreakoder
    andreakoder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been vegetarian for almost 20 years and you have to experiment until you find options to fit your lifestyle. Pasta becomes boring quick! Check out brown rice, bulgar wheat, quinoa, wheat berries and other grains. The veggie based burgers available in supermarkets are great options too. I've saved tons of great recipes via Allrecipes.com and Eating Well. Also check out Everyday Food for options.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    I get a lot of my recipes from cooking light. Lots of pasta (which is getting boring) but they have lots of others as well..