do you pull yours in ?

Options
I am always sucking my stomach in & it fools alot of ppl.... until i sit down & oops it appears !!! i go to the gym 3 x weekly but just can not shift my baby belly :((

Replies

• lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I suck my tummy in a lot, but it's more out of habit. I was always taught growing up that keeping your core tight like that was good for the low back, so practically in a permanent state of suck-belly-button-to-spine :-P
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think holding in your tummy is a form of exercise or strength training. I don't do it but know I should.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I do too. It's was what we used to say before taking the field at halftime---

Stomach in, Chest out, Big beautiful smiles....lol
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Men usually pull theirs out...hehe
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    Yeah, tightening your core is actually good for you. Your abs will stay flexed and look more toned due to muscle memory. In fact, a lot of people who go to the gym and have great bodies never don't do direct work on their tummies, but just keep them flexed the whole time. :) Although flexing and sucking in your stomach are two different things lol
  • sugerfree2
    sugerfree2 Posts: 69
    Options
    mine looks fab until i breath out, done it for years & cant say its strengthened it as its still as prominant :((
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Yep. I hope there will be a day when I don't have to do that. Working hard on it!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I was always taught to suck in to have good posture.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Yup, though I always thought it was just good posture... but good point with the constant ab exercises!
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I was always told to pull out...
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was always told to pull out...

If you pull out the bacon too quick it get soggy when you put it in your mouth. Everyone knows this man come on!
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i stopped doing that when i turned 40...i just don't care anymore....i want to be healthy and fit...i'm in my early autumn years looking squarely at winter...i am no spring chicken....so i'm working on enjoying life ... i started to exhale when i was 39...and refuse to suck anything in moving forward....
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    i do!! normally when out in public and wanting to be a touch smaller!! xD though i know sometimes it doesnt always work lol
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be better for your posture. I think they encourage it in the likes of Yoga and Pilates.

It's also why you inadvertently do it when doing heavy weight work eg squats, deads, bent over rows, pull ups.

Plus when you're standing around waiting in a queue, it's mildly entertaining to "strum" your abs. :o)

Oh, and after a heavy core session, I am finding it difficult to relax that area.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I used to all the time, not that it helped much.
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    Up until a few years ago, I lived with mine sucked in to the point where I would sit to eat and it would HURT to relax it. I would have to push it out to stretch it, almost. It was the strangest sensation and I hated it so I got out of the habit. I love the way it feels to pull it in. It tightens my core and I can even feel it stretching my back in a nice way. I need to do it again.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    No. I've never really been able to suck it in like other people do and keep it there. When I stand up straight though, I naturally hold my abdominal muscles differently and it makes my gut stick out less. So yeah, good posture is important! :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    No. I've never really been able to suck it in like other people do and keep it there. When I stand up straight though, I naturally hold my abdominal muscles differently and it makes my gut stick out less. So yeah, good posture is important! :)

Funny you say that. Now that I've been doing crazy-arsed ab work for the last few months, just standing up straight keeps everything nice and firm!
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've always done that just out of habit. I took gymnastics, tae kwon do and dancing when I was younger so that probably has something to do with it lol