New Here and Needing Support.

Options
My name is Beth and I am from Oregon. I am about 100 pounds over weight. I really need to get rid of all this weight. My health is getting worse. I am setting small goals of 2 pounds a week. If I do more that is great. I know I can do this. One of my main problems is I can't do much exercising due to bad hips, back etc. I know I will be able to do more when I shed some of this weight. Any suggestions for exercise would be great.

Replies

• jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Pool work is your best bet.
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    Hello! I have just joined as well after NUMEROUS recommendations over the few months. Good luck with the weight loss! I recently started Aqua Aerobics and met many ladies there with various joint problems who could go at their own pace. The instructor was really helpful towards those with different ailments. I was so embarrassed to go at first but the community is fantastic! Best of luck!

:)
  • Ke1ra78
    Ke1ra78 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! Swimming, aqua aerobics are lower impact but good calorie burners or gentle waonlking if you can manage it? good luck on your journey.:-)
  • Pdavejackson
    Options
    Hi Beth, welcome, I know what you mean about the weight, I also have 100 lbs to loose, and just getting the motivation sometimes is really rough. Pool is good, but can you do any yoga, even just part of a workout. I push myself best I can to do anything, so good luck and always here for help..
  • kwoodson94
    kwoodson94 Posts: 37
    Options
    My name is Beth and I am from Oregon. I am about 100 pounds over weight. I really need to get rid of all this weight. My health is getting worse. I am setting small goals of 2 pounds a week. If I do more that is great. I know I can do this. One of my main problems is I can't do much exercising due to bad hips, back etc. I know I will be able to do more when I shed some of this weight. Any suggestions for exercise would be great.

Hi! My name iKathy and I am new too. I have only been here 3 days I think. Anyway, you and I have bad hips in common! I had 100 lbs to lose and I had a gastric sleeve performed. I lost 50 which helped a lot. I am still waiting to have my first hip done and hope to lose more so that my recovery will be faster, and my new hip will last longer. I can only walk short distances so I try to walk several times a day and I swim which really is my best exercise. Lets be pals so we can encourage each other. Friend request me if you want to do that. Best of luck to you! You can do it!!! Kathy :flowerforyou:
  • TOPsRocks
    TOPsRocks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Beth! I just joined this group but have been working on weight loss for awhile. My goal is to lose 42 more lbs to reach 100 by Dec. 31 so I can walk the stage to receive my Century award thru TOPS (Take Of Pounds Sensibly).
    I would encourage you to begin arm lifts ( low weights or Veggie cans) while sitting. Search online to get ideas. This will burn calories while building muscles ( which burns more fat while resting)
    Also, start doing agua cise. I KNOW this is the hard ~ putting on a swim suit. But it is the BEST! Super easy on joints & back yet burns calories.
    Also, start walking even if just a short distance. Keep doing it until you can go just a bit farther.
    Online Support is great but I also occassionally need a hug or someone to walk beside me . . .literally. I have found a very affordable Weight Loss Support group. I would encourage you to go to www.tops.org to find local chapter. It only cost $1/ week. Has accountability, education & fun while losing weight. They also give a lot of recognition for progress.
    Remember it is the Journey~ Not the destination.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! This site has changed my life! If you have access to a pool, that would probably be the best place to start. Does walking hurt your hips? Sorry, my knees aren't great, but I don't know what is limited when your hips are bad. I did water aerobics when I first started out, and loved it.
  • sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard!! Im a stroke victim that left my left side very weak. I do water aerobics 3 days a week along with walking and cycling and working out with a personal trainer the other days. If you set your mind to do it, you will acheive!! Good luck on your journey. you can always add me as a friend if you'd like, Im on everyday.
  • richardsontam
    Options
    Hi Beth, I hear you it's not easy...I agree with most of the other posts that water aerobics, yoga and gentle walking is a great place to start. I have found some success exercising with friends and celebrating the small successes. Remember that everyone starts somewhere and the huge successes were once small.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike! I have a bad knee and a bad back, and I love the bike. I actually use those little pedals that you can sit in a comfy chair to use and pedal to your heart's content!
  • jdmc2012
    jdmc2012 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am new to this, just signed up today. I struggle daily with over eatting and just no exercise. I am completely lost on what to eat, what to put on the grocery list, and how to start getting in shape. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Veggies, veggies, veggies =). Every week when you go grocery shopping, try something new that you haven't tried before. I strongly reccommend Laughing Cow cheese and Chobani. Those are 2 of my favs =). Lots of chicken! Lean protein is the best. I'll add you and you can check out my diary.
  • Benisma1
    Benisma1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also eat lots and lots of chicken and lots of veggies. I found a website with lots of great recipes and it's helped keep me from going too far back to what I was eating. It's called Skinnytaste.com It even gives you the weight watcher points for each recipe. Eating healthy is a lot easier when the food doesn't get boring. Good luck with your journey.
  • queenrobinsnest
    queenrobinsnest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I also have problems with my hips, I do swimming and although it does hurt, it is definitely by far the best exercise I can do as it's so low impact, it also burns fat and tones really quickly!