Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I Am A Runner

I AM A RUNNER because my runs have names. I do tempo runs and threshold runs and fartlek runs. I do long, slow runs and track workouts. My runs are defined, even if my abs are not.

I AM A RUNNER because my shoes are training equipment, not a fashion statement. The best shoe for me is the one that makes me a better runner. I choose the shoe that goes with my running mechanics, not my running outf...it.

I AM A RUNNER because I don’t have running outfits. I have technical shirts and shorts and socks. I have apparel that enhances the experience of running by allowing me to run comfortably. I can say “Coolmax” and “Gore-Tex” in the same sentence and know which does what.

I AM A RUNNER because I know what effort feels like, and I embrace it. I know when I’m pushing the limits of my comfort and why I’m doing it. I know that heavy breathing and an accelerated heart rate–things I once avoided–are necessary if I want to be a better runner.

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I’ve done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won’t have to scream in pain later on.

I AM A RUNNER because I am willing to lay it all on the line. I know that every finish line has the potential to lift my spirits to new highs or devastate me, yet I line up anyway.

I AM A RUNNER because I know that despite my best efforts, I will always want more from myself. I will always want to know my limits so that I can exceed them.

I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far.

I AM A RUNNER because I say I am. And no one can tell me I’m not.

-John Bingham

Replies

• Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Love this!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    dammit. I guess I'm a runner. I really dislike running.
  • jc1115
    jc1115 Posts: 22
    This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    dammit. I guess I'm a runner. I really dislike running.

Hahaha!! Oh come on now! :happy:
  • Love him! I just read his book "No Need For Speed"- it was excellent!
  • sazzydee1
    sazzydee1 Posts: 55
    "Waddle on friends!!!!"
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 313 Member
    This is great - I love it!
  • umikap
    umikap Posts: 15 Member
    LOVE THIS!!!!
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Love this. Thank you for sharing. I am excepting the fact that "I am a Runner" as well.
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Thanks for sharing. Someone asked me the other day if I was a runner and I had to think for a second before I answered yes!!
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I’ve done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won’t have to scream in pain later on.

I like this one because I chose not to listen. Oh, knee injuries!:tongue:
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    I did my first triathlon last month and it was designed for newbies. When you cross the finish line the race director says "Congratulations you are not a triathlete." While I am not an Ironman (yet), I am a triathlete because I say I am. Do not let anyone steal your joy!!!
  • crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Thanks so much for posting this. One of these statements really struck a chord with me and I've felt very close to giving up the running today but reading this has spurred me on to carry on so thanks :) x
  • fsan1754
    fsan1754 Posts: 1 Member
    Love...Love...Love this! I'm new to running, so new my ankles have rebelled against it for the past week but, I will not be defeated. I Am A runner! Thanks for sharing.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    This is a great read!

Thanks!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Thanks for sharing this!!
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Love it! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28