I Am A Runner

Options
I AM A RUNNER because my runs have names. I do tempo runs and threshold runs and fartlek runs. I do long, slow runs and track workouts. My runs are defined, even if my abs are not.

I AM A RUNNER because my shoes are training equipment, not a fashion statement. The best shoe for me is the one that makes me a better runner. I choose the shoe that goes with my running mechanics, not my running outf...it.

I AM A RUNNER because I don’t have running outfits. I have technical shirts and shorts and socks. I have apparel that enhances the experience of running by allowing me to run comfortably. I can say “Coolmax” and “Gore-Tex” in the same sentence and know which does what.

I AM A RUNNER because I know what effort feels like, and I embrace it. I know when I’m pushing the limits of my comfort and why I’m doing it. I know that heavy breathing and an accelerated heart rate–things I once avoided–are necessary if I want to be a better runner.

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I’ve done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won’t have to scream in pain later on.

I AM A RUNNER because I am willing to lay it all on the line. I know that every finish line has the potential to lift my spirits to new highs or devastate me, yet I line up anyway.

I AM A RUNNER because I know that despite my best efforts, I will always want more from myself. I will always want to know my limits so that I can exceed them.

I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far.

I AM A RUNNER because I say I am. And no one can tell me I’m not.

-John Bingham

Replies

• Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    dammit. I guess I'm a runner. I really dislike running.
  • jc1115
    jc1115 Posts: 22
    Options
    This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    dammit. I guess I'm a runner. I really dislike running.

Hahaha!! Oh come on now! :happy:
  • megancarlotta
    Options
    Love him! I just read his book "No Need For Speed"- it was excellent!
  • sazzydee1
    sazzydee1 Posts: 55
    Options
    "Waddle on friends!!!!"
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This is great - I love it!
  • umikap
    umikap Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!!!
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Love this. Thank you for sharing. I am excepting the fact that "I am a Runner" as well.
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Someone asked me the other day if I was a runner and I had to think for a second before I answered yes!!
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I’ve done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won’t have to scream in pain later on.

I like this one because I chose not to listen. Oh, knee injuries!:tongue:
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I did my first triathlon last month and it was designed for newbies. When you cross the finish line the race director says "Congratulations you are not a triathlete." While I am not an Ironman (yet), I am a triathlete because I say I am. Do not let anyone steal your joy!!!
  • crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this. One of these statements really struck a chord with me and I've felt very close to giving up the running today but reading this has spurred me on to carry on so thanks :) x
  • fsan1754
    fsan1754 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love...Love...Love this! I'm new to running, so new my ankles have rebelled against it for the past week but, I will not be defeated. I Am A runner! Thanks for sharing.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    This is a great read!

Thanks!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this!!
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options