Logging Treadmill Runs

Options
So, I usually do my running outside, but sometimes it is just too hot, cold, wet, or dark. When trying to log a treadmill run there is only one option in the tracker "stair-treadmill ergonomic..."

How do you all log your treadmill runs? Just like running outside with the speed of the treadmill? This is what I have been doing but I want to make sure I am not over-logging my exercise calories.

Thanks

Replies

• Inspired2run
    Inspired2run Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I created an exercise called "Treadmill" under the "My Exercises" section on the Exercise tab and invested in a Heart Rate Monitor so that I know exactly how many calories I burn.
  • junepinktigger
    junepinktigger Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i did the same, but i nicknamed mine torture machine in bedroom (treadmill) i logged what it said on the counter screen for cals and speed and now i know its exactly the same reading as i get from the treadmill itself :):flowerforyou:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just use the one that is listed and change the calories to what my treadmill says I burned for my weight. That seems like the important thing anyway.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I exclusively use the treadmill, but i choose the option that says Walking 3.5 mph pace (or whatever is closest to what i really did) i have since bought an hrm so i change the calories now to what my polar says.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I created an exercise called "Treadmill" under the "My Exercises" section on the Exercise tab and invested in a Heart Rate Monitor so that I know exactly how many calories I burn.

This is exactly what I have done too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I log it by pace, same as running.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    If you'd like accuracy, I would suggest invest in a heart rate monitor. It's not exact (nothing gives a perfect measurement, IMO), but it gives you a much better idea of calories burned by using your heart rate and weight as measurement. MFP numbers are typically inflated.
  • imalikat2
    imalikat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am always on the treadmill and use a HRM. My treadmill shows a greater calorie burn than my heart rate monitor so I would be cheating myself if I went by the treadmill reading, although I like that number better!
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I log it the same as running outside (by speed) but always put the incline on .5 or 1.
  • Ready4Change05
    Options
    If you put in the search engine: running, it will come up with the different speeds and you can choose the one that fit your workout. That's what i do
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am always on the treadmill and use a HRM. My treadmill shows a greater calorie burn than my heart rate monitor so I would be cheating myself if I went by the treadmill reading, although I like that number better!

My treadmill reading is the same. To show how much of a difference, the other day I did interval training on it for 70 minutes - my treadmill showed I had burned 872 calories, but my HRM showed 562 calories.

A massive 310 calories difference! I used my HRM calories to log even though the TM one was a lot more attractive lol.