HELP me structure my diet and exercise routine!

Options
gayje
gayje Posts: 230 Member
Title says it all. I've done the 1200 calorie a day thing and not eaten back my exercise calories. I've done 1200 a day AND eaten back exercise calories. I've eaten at my BRM blah blah blah. I've not lost a dang pound, in fact, I've gained. Not much but even 1 pound is unacceptable when I'm trying to loose weight.

Take a look at my diary and exercise journals. I DO have lung disease so lots of pulm issues and I DO NOT have that oh so lovely TOM anymore so don't factor in monthly water retention too much. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired and fat! My doctor is no help either. He thinks that because it's been a steady weight gain (45 pounds since 9-2011) that I have made some lifestyle changes and it shouldn't be too hard to "change back" to what I did and how I ate when I was thinner. What a crock...

So look, please, and tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong. And don't bash me for the past week or so, we had family visiting and I fell off the wagon, hell, I jumped off of it for a long minute but I'm ready people, I just need some guidance and direction here. Sigh...

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    What types of food do you eat? Do you exercise?
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's a bit hard to tell without your diary open. If you open it we will be able to see what sorts of food you have been eating. Is your diet high in anything inparticular (e.g. salt, fat). Maybe you need to cut back on these things.
  • gayje
    Options
    It's a bit hard to tell without your diary open. If you open it we will be able to see what sorts of food you have been eating. Is your diet high in anything inparticular (e.g. salt, fat). Maybe you need to cut back on these things.

Shoot, I knew I was forgetting something. It's now open and I don't know why, but that open-ness makes me nervous and anxious! I guess it shouldn't since I asked for it!

Now let 'er rip!
  • gayje
    Options
    anyone?
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I do have one suggestion. Try drinking more water. It looks like you consume a good amount of sodium...that may be causing you to retain water. Your calories look good though. Don't give up! You might want to talk to a nutrionist/dietician, as your doctor doesn't sound very helpful in this case.
  • gayje
    Options
    looking for a bit more input. anyone have ideas to share? i've been an mfp member for 3 months, have been exercising regularly and watching my diet, not exceeding my base 1200 plus some exercise calories most of the time. i haven't LOST and KEPT off anything! i'll loose 3 to 5 pounds and then it comes back. kinda feels like the pesky neighborhood kid who keeps trying to sell me a dang magazine subscription lol!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hi

How accurate are your calorie measurements....are you weighing food or guesstimating? Like others have mentioned, drink lots of water.

What is your exercise routine?

ETA: What is your weekly loss on mfp at, 2lbs per week? Try 1lb a week.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating protein with every meal and that you are meeting your protein goal every day.
  • cuffs_r
    cuffs_r Posts: 41
    Options
    Looking through your food journal, I noticed that 2 areas were really high, carbs and sodium. Both of those will contribute to weight gain. Carbs turn to sugar and get stored as fat. Sodium will cause water retention. My dietitian has had me cut out all white foods, since they are starches. Rice, potatoes, flour....and so on. I do have a baked potatoe every now and then, and I eat limited pastas. It may or may not work for you. I hope you find what will work for you soon, dont give up!
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    steroid therapies, would this impact on weight?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    How long did you try out each of the methods that you described? If you aren't giving it long enough, you're not going to see results.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'd say more lean protein, less fat. Definetely drink more water with all that sodium. And if you're guesstimating, it's better to guess high than low on food calories and low than high on exercise calories.
  • oranb
    oranb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are netting way less than 1000 calories a day, which probably isn't enough food for your body.

How long did you give the eat back your exercise calories approach?

I used to not eat enough, and when I joined this site and read all the posts about eating enough and why you should eat back exercise calories, I gave it a try. BUT it took a good month before it worked, I think I gained a pound or two while my body adjusted. It might take the same or longer for you.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to get a food scale. If you're "eyeballing" portions, believe me, you're probably taking in way more calories than you think! (I certainly was!) Best of luck!!! :smile:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Your diary looks overall great,= :-) Your sodium is a little high but less than the MFP total. Your sugar, you are not logging it, seems high from me running back over 5 or 6 days.

Sugar is a `simplex carb` meaning that if you don`t burn it off when it is eaten then it will get stored as fat. (this is the short version of it)

Sodium can be bad too.

In my humble opinion I would track sugar and swap fruits for veggies

4got to add sugar is in carbs :-)
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd say increase your protein (lean protein, of course) and decrease carbs & sodium. Easy way to reduce sodium - eat nothing (or close to nothing) out of a box, can or jar. DASH diet (government sponsored blood pressure help) suggests 1500mg of sodium per day for women. Definitely drink at least the 8 glasses of water (our bodies NEED water; sometimes we think we're hungry but we're actually thirsty). Protein digests slower than carbs so they help you feel fuller longer. Also increase veggies for fiber (also helps you feel fuller). While fruits are good for us, veggies are better (less sugar).
  • gayje
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone. Since several ppl asked the same question I'll answer once rather than quoting each poster.

Yes, I have a food scale and I measure/weigh each and everything I put in my mouth. Yes, I do drink lots of water a day but I'll admit I should likely drink MORE water. As long as I don't drink it in the style of college hazings (2 gallons all at once, yikes!) I could easily drink twice as much water daily.

I really am trying to get most of my carbs from natural sources ie fruits and veggies, but that is a relatively new incorporation of eating style for me.

My "meat" proteins are from fish, chicken and vegetarian sausage, which has no fat and is very low carb.

I have a lung disease and was on steroid drug therapies for a minute but that time is passed and the doc's say have no impact on weight gain any longer. I've been done with those therapies for over 10 months now.

My irritation is mostly that I feel as if I've been working my patooty off for the past 90 days and in that time, I've gained 6 pounds. If increasing my water and lean proteins and DEcreasing my sodium and carbs is the general consensus, what are some suggestions for lean proteins?