Homeopathy/ aromatherapy- brill or b***ocks?

Options
Picola1984
Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
After looking at all the essential oils and their fabulous claims to calm and create well being in the health shop, I can't help but be tempted to give them a go

But each tincture is about £10, which is expensive stuff if you have to mix them like some mad witch of the west.

I get awfully bad feelings of depression and stress, so I'm kind of willing to give anything a go, but since this maybe a waste of money I thought to see if anyone else on here is into this natural alternative/ hocus pocus

Replies

• cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    They only work if you get the magic crystals to go with them and wear a titanium necklace and copper bracelet.

Otherwise they are just another crock of horse****, marketed by people trying to get more of the money out of your pocket and into theirs.
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can't say much about aromatherapy, but I struggled with depression and anxiety for years - in the past year and a half my life has totally changed and I attribute a great deal of that to the naturopathic clinic I went to. They focused on my diet and sleep, gave me homeopathic medicine and teas to help me sleep or to calm my mind, acupuncture and acupressure to help with stress.

But I do attribute most of my progress to therapy, and not to go get preachy, but to God and my faith. If you don't have a therapist you should get on that. You don't have to go to a $600 dollar an hour psychoanalyst, especially if you're interested in more natural therapies a counsellor will do you. Mine charges $90 for a 1 hour session. Not to mention yoga and meditation - meditation has been huge for me.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,160 Member
    Options
    Absolute BS because I was scientist!
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've used homeopathy since I was a baby and they work fine on me, regardless of whether it's medically sound or not.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I will attest to some of the essential oils being effective for certain things. Lavender is very soothing and can be very helpful for sleep. Mints do help settle a stomach and make a headache go away. But they only work for simple things like that. I wouldn't entertain the idea that they could actually help your depression or anxiety. Those I would see a real doctor for help.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    If aromatherapy and whatever calming mantra people wanted to throw at you improved your sense of well being I'd say it's alright.

But homeopathy is utter nonsense. Water pills, nothing more.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    scent is the one sense that our brains cannot conjure. that makes it a fairly powerful thing. so long as you don't have any negative connections to a scent (say a disliked aunt wore lavender - a calming scent for most would not work on you b/c your brain links that scent to her) then aromatherapy can work wonders.

but you don't have to pay that much for it.

srsly. go to a local "head shop" or a co-op; pretty much anywhere where the owner is white but has dreds, and you can get essential oils for cheap. if you're just looking to relax, you can spritz some of the oil on a candle and then the room will get the scent. if you're looking to sleep, that's not the best way to go - burning down the house: not relaxing - but you can dab it on your own pulse points or spritz your linens before bed. as long as you're not using enough to give yourself a headache, it will work.

and much as i adore Brett, i say he's wrong on this. as long as you go to someone who is an actual doctor (OMDs and integrated medical practitioners are usually your best bed, Naturepaths are ok, but do your research. stay away from anyone who is just out for a buck) there are a lot of ppl who have WONDERFUL results from holistic medicine
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I've used both and found improvement from both. I've also had "remedies" in both areas that didn't work. I also have a chronic intermittent condition that Western medicine doesn't offer much help for. My intention is to go to a professional homeopath if that doesn't get worse.

If you feel like you might get a flue soon, oscillococcinum is amazing. That's homeopathy. Arnica gel is amazing for muscle pain. Calendula gel is great for inflamed skin and bug bites. I swear by all the above.

I personally own an embarrassingly large number of essential oils. Mostly because pleasant aromas make me happy. Ginger helps me when I'm dizzy. Tea tree for real will kill viruses and bacteria. All of it can be an important part of a calming ritual. I have clients enter my office and immediately comment on it smelling nice. Olfactory memories are some of the strongest memories people have. If you can associate a particular smell with feeling safe and accepted, such a thing can remind you and bring you back to that same feeling.

So really the question for you is, what do you want to use them for?

BTW, I understand that some HCG supplements claim to be homeopathic. That's a load of crap and a waste of money. If you buy homeopathic remedies, do so from a reputable source. Boiron is one. The process of creating a homeopathic remedy is exacting. It ISN'T throw in a bit of his and a bit of that. It's precise. Get a remedy from someone legit.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    The smell of chocolate chip cookies baking makes me feel good. The smell of rosemary makes me think of tree frogs(long story), the smell of dusty grease on a Cat D-8 reminds me of my young childhood... so yes scent can help relax/calm you. It can also send you somewhere you would rather not be.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I thought, and was hoping, for advice for and against the notion and people have given just that

Some really good responses thank you, and no 'use Google' idiots! Yey

I agree with the scents of something having a relation with a memory or soothing affect, and have read a few articles regarding meditation and mindfulness. I even bought a book called 'Get some Headspace' however I got thought a couple of chapters and got bored. Maybe time to pick it up again and pay attention

I will definitely look into some of these ideas a bit more, thank you
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the power of placebo.