Flax seed and farting

Options
hailzp
hailzp Posts: 903 Member
Hello people.

Right straight to the point. I added in flax seeds and chia seeds to my diet, mostly because they are both said to help with hormonal imbalances and who doesn't need extra omega 3, zinc and Vit B. The day I started eating them I made some energy balls with peanut butter, raw honey, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, raisins, chia seeds, flax seeds and a few oats.

These were very small, about a tablespoon of each thing and it made 10ish. My stomach has felt pretty rubbish since then, passing wind that is very smelly (usually when I fart it doesn't smell terrible), this smells like something has died up my bum.

Is it because of the fibre? Will my body get used to it? Shall I stop eating it for a few days to see if my stomach settles?

Has anybody else had this issue?

Replies

• xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have never had a gas issue due to flax or chai.... Sorry
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Normal for adding a lot of fiber all at once. You're system will adjust or you cut back and add slowly. It happens to be if I'm off the ground flax seed wagon then jump back in.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Flax does give you gas because it takes so long to digest. Start off with a little less and work your way up, and always always always drink lots of water with it!
  • Piglet_26
    Piglet_26 Posts: 104
    Options
    Any chance I could get ur recipe for these, they sound yum :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get the same effect and doubled when I add whey protein into my mix, lol. I have greek yoghurt with whey and some flax and seeds, you can imagine the effect that has. I actually had people shifting to the other side of a charity shop today, it was so bad, lol. I found that emptying out a probiotic pill into whatever I have the issue with can help quite a lot, though not always.
  • RES2333
    RES2333 Posts: 36
    Options
    Been there...done that.

That happened to me when I started to eat flax seed. I would eat cereal in morning that contained flax seed and by afternoon would be all cramped up and gassy. I asked my friends about it and they said yeah the flax seed does it. I have gotten used to it so that no longer feel the gassy cramped feeling after eating it.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    So how much is a little bit? About half a teaspoon?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    In on 20 page thread.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I'd try a half teaspoon and work up to a tablespoon or two a day.