Anyone else have a cut off time for food?

Options
Mine is no later than 7pm. No problem during the winter. Well, last night I was out after 8 and it was still light outside. I wanted to chow lol. I'm realizing that as it gets darker later, it's gonna be harder to stop eating when I want to. Anyone have any tips for me to not eat late?

Replies

• Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Mine is no later than 7pm. No problem during the winter. Well, last night I was out after 8 and it was still light outside. I wanted to chow lol. I'm realizing that as it gets darker later, it's gonna be harder to stop eating when I want to. Anyone have any tips for me to not eat late?
  • yvette2008
    yvette2008 Posts: 5
    Options
    I never eat after 7pm. The only thing that passes through my lips is water after that. :smile:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 7pm.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I have a small snack after a workout..... and a workout is usually after dinner for me so I eat that at around 9pm. but I'm usually up until 12ish so no biggie
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't have any rules... if I have cals left and I'm a bit hungry, I'll eat.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Nope, no set in stone time

If I don't eat enough at night, I'll wake in the middle of the night hungry
    I usually wait for the kids to go to bed so I can have a peaceful meal
    I'm usually done eating for the day by 8:00-830

Kim
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I don't have any rules... if I have cals left and I'm a bit hungry, I'll eat.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:

Same here! Usually I don't have dinner until 7-8pm (get home from work around 5:30-6:30, then by the time I can cook its usually well after that). Then I normally have a small snack before bed, like a fiber one bar or something.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have a normal enough schedule for a cut off time!
    Some nights I eat at 6. some nights I eat at 10:30. Unfortunately, I get hungry a couple of hours after on the nights when I eat early.

Basically, I'm not really looking for a time that I completely stop eating, but I think that consistency is the best way to go!
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    By the time I get home from work and make dinner, I'm lucky if I eat by 8pm. :ohwell:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    We never eat until at least 8:30 p.m.....sometimes later. Plus I usually have a snack with my daughter before bed at like 10 p.m. So, no....no cut off time here.
  • bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    I normally finish my day with a bowl of cantaloupe at about 8 pm (for some reason, unlike the water I'm drinking (about 10-12 cups a day), it acts like a hyper-diuretic for me and I'll get up 2 times in the middle of the night to tinkle :blushing:~basically how I keep water weight from sticking to my body
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything after 8pm. But I don't have any type of rules its just how it pans out. I also heard that you can eat at any time during the day/night and that to stop eating past "7pm" or a set time is just a diet myth.

I had this article:
    Myth

Food eaten late at night is more fattening.

Fact

Many diets tell you not to eat after a certain time in the evening. They say the body will store more fat because it is not burned off with any activity.

A study at the Dunn Nutrition Centre in Cambridge suggests otherwise.

Volunteers were placed in a whole body calorimeter, which measures calories burned and stored.

They were fed with a large lunch and small evening meal for one test period, then a small lunch and large evening meal during a second test period.

The results revealed the large meal eaten late at night did not make the body store more fat.

It's not when you eat that's important, but the total amount you consume in a 24-hour period.

Lyndel Costain adds: 'It is true that people who skip meals during the day, then eat loads in the evening are more likely to be overweight than those who eat regularly throughout the day.

'This may be because eating regular meals helps people regulate their appetite and overall food intake.'

Anyone know if this is true???
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think it matters when you eat or how late you eat. Your body will burn and retain calories based on how much you give it and how much you exercise. There is no magic time to stop.

However, that being said...I do tend to avoid eating anything heavy after 7 or 8, just because I like to have my digestive system winding down by the time I go to bed. If I eat something heavy at 9 pm and go to bed an hour later, I have that weighed down, bloated feeling and that can keep me from falling asleep.

I usually eat dinner between 6 and 7 and have a light snack around 8 (like 1/2 a cup of light ice cream or something like that).
  • robynlee
    robynlee Posts: 13
    Options
    I try not to eat after 8pm, but sometimes you can't help being hungry.
    My nutrionist suggested I eat a fruit source bar if I'm ever hungry late at night. They are so delicious! And it's okay to eat later at night, just don't make a habit of doing it every day!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    No cut off time for me. As long as I have calories left and I'm hungry I eat.
  • Liana25
    Liana25 Posts: 31
    Options
    I don't eat past 9PM but most of the time I'm done with my last meal by 8:30PM
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatley, my husband does not get home from work until 7 so that's when we eat dinner. Then after we go for a walk before coming home and tucking my kiddos in for the night. & would be my ideal time for a cutoff, but it is important to me that my family eat at least one meal together a day. We don't eat anything past 8, but do occaisionally make exceptions.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything after 8pm. But I don't have any type of rules its just how it pans out. I also heard that you can eat at any time during the day/night and that to stop eating past "7pm" or a set time is just a diet myth.

I had this article:
    Myth

Food eaten late at night is more fattening.

Fact

Many diets tell you not to eat after a certain time in the evening. They say the body will store more fat because it is not burned off with any activity.

A study at the Dunn Nutrition Centre in Cambridge suggests otherwise.

Volunteers were placed in a whole body calorimeter, which measures calories burned and stored.

They were fed with a large lunch and small evening meal for one test period, then a small lunch and large evening meal during a second test period.

The results revealed the large meal eaten late at night did not make the body store more fat.

It's not when you eat that's important, but the total amount you consume in a 24-hour period.

Lyndel Costain adds: 'It is true that people who skip meals during the day, then eat loads in the evening are more likely to be overweight than those who eat regularly throughout the day.

'This may be because eating regular meals helps people regulate their appetite and overall food intake.'

Anyone know if this is true???

hmm I don't know, but having a cut off time works for me because if I didn't stop myself I'd just keep eating and eating...the bad stuff :ohwell:
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth I've been told calories can't tell time :tongue:
  • Sherona
    Sherona Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get home from work at around 4:30 so by 5:30 i normally finish eating for the day. But that is during the week. On a saturday and sunday i eat as long as i am hungry, even if it is late.