C-section scar and sit-ups

Options
I've had two c-sections and just started doing P90X. Anytime I do the sit-ups and even some of the push-ups I have tremendous pain around my c-section scar. I'm afraid to work really hard because I don't want to do any damage. Anyone out there have this issue? Is this scar tissue that I need to work through or something else?

Replies

• eemorton
    eemorton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since your last surgery? Sounds like adhesions to me. Its been 5 years since my section and I still get stabbing pains when I sneeze.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Depends...when did you have the Csection? I had two csections, one in 2006 and one in 2008. I started really exercising full force in 2010. You do have pain with the scar for quite some time. You should be able to do some abs work, but I wouldn't over do it especially if you are even 6mos out. Anything sooner, I would really be careful. Just my opinion. Always listen to your body and speak with your post pregnancy doctor to be sure.

Good Luck!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? My scar area is okay and doesn't hurt, but I probably waited a full year before really getting back into a routine. I am now 2 years out.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've never had a c-section so I can't give advice but I did wonder about a hernia?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    ask your doctor. seriously.
  • rachelkeyes
    Options
    My first c-section was in 2005 and my second in 2007.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    a group of strangers will have no idea whether you have a weakness, how well it's healed, if the best thing is to work it or rest it, if the pain is something that can be ignored or a sign of a more serious issue.
    don't gamble your health and risk injury.
    you need a doc who has read your notes and can physically examine you.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections and have only ever had very mild pain from the scar. I even started exercising again (following the advice of a physio) within 3-4 months of my 2nd baby. Even then I didn't have pain (was under strict instructions to monitor any pain)

Given that, I'd recommend seeing a doctor because you should not be in so much pain.