Turkey Burger Help!!

Options

Replies

• Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I am amzed how this stuff ever got popular. turkey bacon....YUCK...turkey burger? YUCK

there is absolutely nothing wrong with ground sirloin

there is nothing wrong with real bacon

there is NO advantage to using turkey for a burger other than less taste

dont be afraid of fat...saturated or not

Until you have had two strokes at the age of 24 year old from blood clots that went to the brain due to a blocked artery from eeating red meats and fatty foods... I have a legitimate fear of fat.

sorry that happened to you

:heart:
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Turkey burger, extra lean has 2g of fat to 6 oz.
    I suggest you check the USDA for this. The following are the USDA numbers for raw ground turkey:
    Fat Free Ground (obviously not really fat free) Turkey has 3.32 g of fat for 6 oz.
    Lean (93/7) has 14.9 g for 6 oz. (what I quoted earlier)
    Regular (85/15) has 21.33 for 6 oz.
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    I am amzed how this stuff ever got popular. turkey bacon....YUCK...turkey burger? YUCK

Until you have had two strokes at the age of 24 year old from blood clots that went to the brain due to a blocked artery from eeating red meats and fatty foods... I have a legitimate fear of fat.
    Then why are you eating turkey? Ground turkey has 34.75 g of fat per pound, lean ground beef (95/5) has 22.68 g of fat per pound.

not the extra lean. =) and im eating it because its heealthier for your heart all around. I do eat red meat, but VERY seldom. it was recommended by my doctor, who also treats me for several other medical conditions... as you may understand.. im what you call high risk. expecially after the strokes starting at age 24. =) Thank you for the information! :drinker:
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Salt, Pepper, and Worcestershire sauce always makes them taste beefy to me.
  • no_stemz
    no_stemz Posts: 47
    Options

Then why are you eating turkey? Ground turkey has 34.75 g of fat per pound, lean ground beef (95/5) has 22.68 g of fat per pound.

There is 99% fat free ground turkey available. Also, turkey has more grams of protein per ounce than beef does....not much more but still more.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    There is 99% fat free ground turkey available. Also, turkey has more grams of protein per ounce than beef does....not much more but still more.
    Please read my last post in this topic, there is no such thing as 99% fat free. Completely fat free turkey still has fat in it.

I am not sure who started this whole thing about turkey being better for you, sorry, but injecting fatty foods is something I am avoiding and one of the fatty foods I am skipping is turkey.

As I said in my previous post, don't believe me, don't believe some knucklehead that has gotten this whole hatred on of red meat, believe in what you read from unbiased sources. Don't go by what someone has entered here a MFP, heck, don't go by what the staff has entered, go by what you can find, on your own.

Here is the USDA foods list, just start typing in the box: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

ETA: I just noticed the comment about protein; again, not according to the USDA, in fact the opposite seems to be the facts according to them.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I personally love ground turkey. I can't tell the difference between that and beef, and the awesome thing? My kids can't either!! I make nachos with it, sometimes hamburger helper as well. I haven't tried to make burgers from it though. Try some salt and pepper if you're not too concerned with your sodium. Even some type of Mrs Dash stuff too, my hubby swears by that!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try that one!

Meanwhile, this recipe has been my absolute fave for turkey burgers: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/grilling-asian-turkey-burgers-with-sriracha-mayonnaise-recipe.html?ref=search

Super tasty burger, and the sriracha mayo is optional (but delicious if you like spicy stuff!). I skipped the cilantro since I can't stand the stuff, but followed the rest of the recipe - whole family loved them.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i like using easy stuff like chili, taco, ranch flavor packets you can at any grocery store. It hardly adds any calories and it really helps with the turkey flavor. I love it, but my family doesnt so...
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I buy fat free Ceasar garlic croutons and crush them up and add them to the turkey. Then I add some egg white to make it all stick together. I also like to smear a wedge of Laughing Cow Lite Swiss cheese (or Garlic and Herb) on top for only 35 more calories. If you like southwest seasoning, go to Penzeys.com and look up their Arizona Dreaming spice blend. No salt and tons of taco flavor to make taco burgers. My husband likes these the best.
  • ReinaAvila
    Options
    I've added meatloaf spices, taco seasoning spices to turkey taco burgers and such. I add egg, onions, bread crumbs, chopped mushrooms, etc. to the meat also then make the patties. The egg and bread crumbs hold it together nicely. Just play with it and you'll find all kinds of ways to spice up the burgers. :tongue:
  • ReinaAvila
    Options
    Some people can't eat pork. It makes them sick. Some people can't eat pork for religious reasons. In those cases, Turkey burgers and turkey bacon are the obvious choices and it's healthier. It's got a lot less salt and fat. I'm one of those people who got deathly ill from eating pork and back in 2005, I was baptized in the Seventh Day Adventist church and, like Jews, we don't eat pork, shellfish, muscles, fish that don't have both scales and fins, animals with paws, animals that don't chew the cud and have split hoofs, snakes, insects and certain birds are considered unclean according to God. Like the Jews, we follow the Leviticus diet. Many are strict vegitarians. A study done a while back showed that 7th Day Adventists are healthier and live longer than the general population and they credited the diet and lifestyle that we keep. Unlike Jews, we abstain from alcohol as well. I, personally, like a nice all beef burger or hot dog or even a nice steak on occasion. Those are clean meats according to God. I just try to do it in moderation. One thing I love is salmon burgers. Those are tasty and really healthy. A great alternative if you get sick of turkey burgers.
  • ReinaAvila
    Options
    I forgot to add that, instead of bread crumbs (seasoned or plain) also try matzo meal. If I'm not mistaken, there are fewer calories in matzo meal. It's used in many Jewish recipes. One of my favorites is matzo ball chicken soup. Add veggies and chunks of chicken to the broth and it's a nice, light dinner. For vegitarians, use vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth. I used matzo meal in my meat loafs as well.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I usually add a finely chopped onion (which also helps keep it moist) and then a sprinkle of no sodium beef bouillon. Sometimes I go crazy and add other minced veggies too. The only constant is the onion and everything else I change up a bit.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Tony Chachere Creole Seasoning or a taco seasoning packet.

I love ground turkey. I don't digest most beef very well. It seems to stay with me too long and makes me sluggish.
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You might want to do a little less relying just on one government site's stats and pick up some medical research journals, etc. You are entitled to your opinion, but coming into a thread asking about recipes for turkey (which you refuse to eat) and harping on people who eat it is absurd. Then blaming it on them just going by what others on MFP say? Relax. We aren't all mindless drones. Believe it or not, a lot of MFPers are here because we ALSO care about our bodies ;-) We just like some variety once in awhile...same as liking some dessert here and there. The healthiest choice or not...yeesh!
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    Please read my last post in this topic, there is no such thing as 99% fat free. Completely fat free turkey still has fat in it.

I am not sure who started this whole thing about turkey being better for you, sorry, but injecting fatty foods is something I am avoiding and one of the fatty foods I am skipping is turkey.

As I said in my previous post, don't believe me, don't believe some knucklehead that has gotten this whole hatred on of red meat, believe in what you read from unbiased sources. Don't go by what someone has entered here a MFP, heck, don't go by what the staff has entered, go by what you can find, on your own.

Here is the USDA foods list, just start typing in the box: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

ETA: I just noticed the comment about protein; again, not according to the USDA, in fact the opposite seems to be the facts according to them.

Im am asking a specific thing here, and its not to get your opinion on ground turkey. Until you are MY doctor, who has overseen me for TWO strokes from blood clots to the brain due to blocked arteries because of the way i ate in the past.. AT AGE 24...... YOU ARENT MY DOCTOR.. YOU ARENT ANY DOCTOR, SO PLEASE STOP ASSUMING YOU ARE CORRECT ON EVERYTHING THAT COMES TO MY HEALTH!!

I didnt ask you for your damn opinion!! Im far too smart to ask for something like that on here. I WAS ASKING FOR A RECIPE!!! SEE THE CATAGORY??? take your preachin *kitten* somewhere else! Im tired of being nice about it.

BY THE WAY... 99% fat free does NOT mean 100% fat free.. so your entire first sentence was just stupid! /endrant.
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    And now for the reason I actually popped onto this thread...I know it's not a burger, but a great recipe for ground turkey that is great if you want to change it up! These meatballs are absolutely to DIE for- with or without the noodles (which are also good)!!

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/turkey-meatballs-with-asian-noodles-and-herbs
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Get one of the new kraft first tastes packages. They're found in the dairy section and it comes with shredded cheese and breadcrumbs. All you do is dump and mix with the ground turkey. SUPER easy, right!?

My personal favorite is the Chili-Lime panko. It's SO good in the turkey burger! PS--I think that when I added this, it came to maybe 300 calories (maybe a bit more) for the bun AND the burger.
  • mail704m
    mail704m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    EVO with rosemary and garlic.... or oregano and garlic.... or basil and parmesan and garlic.... delightful!