HRM: Am I doin somethin wrong or is my expectation high?

Options
viannee
viannee Posts: 52 Member
So I bought an HRM (Oregon Scientific). It came with a chest strap. Upon recommendations I wore it under my bra strap.
I have also calibrated my maximum heart rate at 60% - 70%.

I tested it earlier while doing hulahoops for 15 minutes.

It says I only burned 32 calories.

Wait, what? Only 32? But my back was drenched in sweat. How is that possible?

Using a different calorie burn calculator it says I burned 121 calories.

Okay, I know calorie calculators are rough estimates but I expected the difference would be at least 50% but 75%?
Isn't that a bit too low? Or are my expectations just too high?

For reference I am 169 lbs.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So I bought an HRM (Oregon Scientific). It came with a chest strap. Upon recommendations I wore it under my bra strap.
    I have also calibrated my maximum heart rate at 60% - 70%.

I tested it earlier while doing hulahoops for 15 minutes.

It says I only burned 32 calories.

Wait, what? Only 32? But my back was drenched in sweat. How is that possible?

Using a different calorie burn calculator it says I burned 121 calories.

Okay, I know calorie calculators are rough estimates but I expected the difference would be at least 50% but 75%?
    Isn't that a bit too low? Or are my expectations just too high?

For reference I am 169 lbs.

Did you enter gender, age, weight, perhaps height, and ability to change the HRmax on that HRM?

If not, probably not greatly accurate.

Calc'd max HR at 60-70%? Of what? Not sure what that means, never heard of such a reference.

There may be a stat regarding your HRmax, along with your other stats, not associated with a specific workout.

And those calories depends on what your HR was. It may have been hot out and sweat was expected, but not high effort for you.

What did it say the avg HR was for the session?
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I purchased one of those from Ben's Outlet (online sale) and it was horrible even after caibrating it and entering my information the reading was off. WAY off! I spent about $21 on it, so I sent it back for a refund. I purchased a Polar ft4 and it's been great ever since (knock on wood). I would call the manufacturer or read the manual, if you did it correctly and you still feel it's incorrect. Perhaps you should look into a different brand after reading reviews or something. Sorry to hear that and good luck!
  • jchizick
    jchizick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose fat then all you need to worry about is your diet. Unless your a serious athlete or on medication there is no reason for you to use a heart rate monitor. But at the end of the day you can do whatever you want.
  • viannee
    Options

Did you enter gender, age, weight, perhaps height, and ability to change the HRmax on that HRM?

If not, probably not greatly accurate.

Calc'd max HR at 60-70%? Of what? Not sure what that means, never heard of such a reference.

There may be a stat regarding your HRmax, along with your other stats, not associated with a specific workout.

And those calories depends on what your HR was. It may have been hot out and sweat was expected, but not high effort for you.

What did it say the avg HR was for the session?

I entered the all the info required.
    The watch was also asking about target activity maximum heart rate and I set it 60-70%
    it says my
    lower heart rate limit is 84
    upper heart rate limit is 100

when I finished, it says my avg HR is 74.

I concede it was a little bit hot where i exercised.
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If your average heart rate is only 74 while working out....... That is hardly any effort at all if any. Mine fluctuates from 130 up to 175 during a workout of cardio and heavy weight training. I would say to seriously step it up a notch or look into other devices. That doesn't sound right at all.
  • viannee
    Options
    listen to bales he knows well about this stuff. Do you want to be my girlfriend?

Thanks. I'll add you up. We could be friends for sure. :)
    I purchased one of those from Ben's Outlet (online sale) and it was horrible even after caibrating it and entering my information the reading was off. WAY off! I spent about $21 on it, so I sent it back for a refund. I purchased a Polar ft4 and it's been great ever since (knock on wood). I would call the manufacturer or read the manual, if you did it correctly and you still feel it's incorrect. Perhaps you should look into a different brand after reading reviews or something. Sorry to hear that and good luck!

Oh man, I wish it won't come to that, coz I can't return it anymore. :(
    Thank you for your reply.

If you are trying to lose fat then all you need to worry about is your diet. Unless your a serious athlete or on medication there is no reason for you to use a heart rate monitor. But at the end of the day you can do whatever you want.

I just want some sort way to factor in my exercise with my diet coz I do tend to overestimate my exercise. Thinking I have worked up a sweat, I eat more calories than I should. Thank you for your input though.
  • viannee
    Options
    If your average heart rate is only 74 while working out....... That is hardly any effort at all if any. Mine fluctuates from 130 up to 175 during a workout of cardio and heavy weight training. I would say to seriously step it up a notch or look into other devices. That doesn't sound right at all.

Thank you! I guess my expectations were steep for hulahoops. lol

I'll try a different kind of workout and see if there's any change.
  • amclaws25
    Options
    Also, maybe the sensors weren't well lined up. And make sure to wet them before putting it on.
  • viannee
    Options
    I did wet them before use.

I'm sorry. I'm embarrassed to be such a dunce at this. lol.
    Thank you for your input. :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It all sounds fishy. My HR isn't 74 lying on the couch. 100 is too low to be a high.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I entered the all the info required.
    The watch was also asking about target activity maximum heart rate and I set it 60-70%
    it says my
    lower heart rate limit is 84
    upper heart rate limit is 100

when I finished, it says my avg HR is 74.

I concede it was a little bit hot where i exercised.

Wow - I'm actually surprised you didn't get higher than 74! I think I'd be up around 90 trying to hula hoop.

Anyway, yeah, that's not much effort. That's probably not a correct estimate since it's under the aerobic range. Calorie estimates are for steady state aerobic in range about 90-160 bpm. Outside that range, or anaerobic like intervals or weight lifting, is inaccurate.

So the fact you enter in the max for a workout by %, means the HRM has already calculated your HRmax in general, probably by 220-age. Which may or may not be accurate. It wanted to know for a workout, when should it warn you.

I'd enter 85%. Unlikely you'll reach it, but just in case, good warning.

Tell you what, forget the HRmax figure, forget the calorie estimates.

The Zones will still be useful. Unless you are almost 100 yrs old and out of shape, you should have it set much higher than that.

Get ready for the workout!

Lower 110
    Upper 145

Post workout, take the avg HR to this site with your stats and get your calorie burn estimate.
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If in denial try the non gimmicky method :P
    http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Pulse
  • amclaws25
    Options
    Not at all! ;) I really think it's your device. Even a light workout usually will bring your average heart rate over 100. I really think it's not reading right. Maybe borrow a friends and compare the difference if you can.
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If it helps my resting heart rate when I first turn the HRM on is around 65 then if I get up and move around I'm up near 74 so that isn't much of a HR. What is your resting heart rate?
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Also, as a very general rule of thumb, a vigorous workout should put you in the 6-12 calories per minute range. And by vigorous, I mean 60%+ of your max. Max heart rates differ strongly between individuals. A generic formula to use is 220 minus your age. Try that as your max HR to get a target HR for a good workout, and then adjust depending on your experience. For example, my estimated max HR is about 185, but I can easily hit that during a hard workout, so that means that my actual max HR is probably a bit higher.

You can get a basic idea of the relative accuracy of your HRM by comparing its results with the calculation from this site:
    http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

Your HRM results should be within 10% or so. The online calculator will also be more accurate if you know your actual VO2Max.

Here is a MFP blog post on HRM calibration:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/new-hrm-how-to-make-the-calorie-estimate-more-accurate-183102

Congratulations on getting one. Accurate measurements of your inputs and outputs are key to success at a healthy lifestyle.
  • viannee
    Options
    Wow - I'm actually surprised you didn't get higher than 74! I think I'd be up around 90 trying to hula hoop.

Anyway, yeah, that's not much effort. That's probably not a correct estimate since it's under the aerobic range. Calorie estimates are for steady state aerobic in range about 90-160 bpm. Outside that range, or anaerobic like intervals or weight lifting, is inaccurate.

So the fact you enter in the max for a workout by %, means the HRM has already calculated your HRmax in general, probably by 220-age. Which may or may not be accurate. It wanted to know for a workout, when should it warn you.

I'd enter 85%. Unlikely you'll reach it, but just in case, good warning.

Tell you what, forget the HRmax figure, forget the calorie estimates.

The Zones will still be useful. Unless you are almost 100 yrs old and out of shape, you should have it set much higher than that.

Get ready for the workout!

Lower 110
    Upper 145

Post workout, take the avg HR to this site with your stats and get your calorie burn estimate.
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Thank you! it's taking me a while to process all this but I hope I'll understand it all soon and get the most of my workouts.
  • viannee
    Options
    If in denial try the non gimmicky method :P
    http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Pulse

You know what? you're right. Maybe I don't really need all these thingamajigs. :)
  • viannee
    Options
    Not at all! ;) I really think it's your device. Even a light workout usually will bring your average heart rate over 100. I really think it's not reading right. Maybe borrow a friends and compare the difference if you can.

I'll visit the gym once (not a fan of fitness gyms. lol) and see if there are people who have better devices. Thank you. :)
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    the person saying you dont need a HRM because you are just trying to lose weight is way off...

you DO want to know where your HR falls during cardio - especially if you want to manage the fat burn and fitness HR zones, but more importantly, if you are tracking your calorie burn you want to know how much you burn - a good HRM does that.

a good HRM is a fundamental tool for exercise and fitness assessment and ongoing tracking/monitoring.

Definately check it against your pulse so you can feel confident in what it reports.

Also - make sure your chest strap is used properly - most you need to wet the conductor pads to get good body signal and readings.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    74 as a max HR is low...I use a Polar FT4 and my resting heart rate is higher than that. Polar is pretty accurate IMO. You may need to invest in a higher quality HRM.