Shoes orthotics

Options
I thought I would post this because maybe it will help one other person out there.

I LOVE to run, I love feeling the wind in my hair and the stretching of my muscles, I even don't mind getting winded. BUT my shins were killing me....BAD! I work for a Chiropractor and he told me about a product called superfeet (a sort of insole that helps support the arch of your foot). So I put that in my shoes and was about 60% better. I could run farther and longer but then my shins started hurting again. So I talked with the Dr again and he examined my feet and told me that I have EXTREMELY high arches and that I would need custom orthotics. I am getting casted for them on Tuesday after work. I'll let you all know how it goes after I get them but he says he has yet to have them fail to "cure" shin splints.

If you have any experience with them feel free to let me know about your experience. I am looking forward to years of pain free running. :bigsmile:

Replies

• AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Really ..... no one?!?!?
  • Blueleaf
    Blueleaf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have extremely high arches, and I've sprained my ankle many times by rolling them outward. I've wanted orthotic inserts, but they're so expensive. Let me know how they work for you!
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've worn prescription orthotics for years, and I can't imagine not having them. Mine were originally casted because I had more flat feet, but keep in mind that you will probably need to replace them every few years. I am actually overdue, but moved away from my old podiatrist. There is nothing like a custom fit orthotic. I know that for me, I carry my weight more evenly when wearing my orthotics. (I have one leg that is minutely shorter than the other, so it throws off my weight balance.)
  • bairborne
    bairborne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great advise! I am in the same situation, runnig 10-12 miles per day 5-6 days per week. I have ortho's made from a cast as well, fiberglass. A little trouble finding running shoes that they fit into and I didn't have slipping going on in the back. Wanted to leave the cushioned soles in the shoe for shock absorbing. Works great, Running is great, I am deployed in Kosovo with the Army and it's nothing but hill after hill. Can't wait to get back to the states and see how I do on a flat road....Thanks