When do you start logging food and excersise for a new day?

Options
I was just wondering when people started counting calories for the new day... I have really bad insomnia so I am up until 5-6 AM most nights... I have not been starting a "new" day until around 4-5. Once midnight hits should I start a new day or wait until I wake up next?

Replies

• Marrhet
    Marrhet Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the same issue. I normally just pick a time and stick with it for roll over. I feel consistency is your best friend. I do mine at midnight because I don't sleep much and that is a good marker for me to remember.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Midnight, when MFP rolls over...
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    I wait until I wake up the next day. I stay up until like 6:00 AM every day =/
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I count anything after 12am as a new day. That way I don't eat a lot and then blaim it on yesterday. I hold myself accountable for late night snacking.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter so long as you stick to it consistently.

Personally a new day starts when I wake up after sleeping. I also have insomnia and may or may not eat after midnight (if I'm under my calories for the day I will) and if I log it with the rest of the day. Then a new day starts when I get up the next morning.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I wake up between 1:30 and 2:00pm I start mine then and log all day until 6:00 to 7:am when I go to bed as (1)one day. I'm a night shifter though so it goes with my schedule. For me that is a normal day. You might want to decide what a "normal" day consists of for you, and go with that.
  • afgivens4
    afgivens4 Posts: 117
    Options
    I work nights, but I always start over at midnight when MFP auto rolls any way. I also have my meals listed by time of day rather than breakfast, lunch, etc... Feel free to look at my diary.
  • kris10stew
    kris10stew Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am an insomniac too, but I have found that a 12 hour fast is necessary for weight loss for me. No matter how hungry I am, I don't eat in the middle of the night. I only eat between 8 am and 8 pm.
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like this question for those who are up late/early. Seems like it's good to just pick a time as far as food and stick to it, as others have said.

I've been thinking about the exercise part of this equation. Often I am hungrier the next day after having exercised, and I've thought about logging whatever exercise I do for the next day. I would still eat back my calories, but not until later.

So...this isn't really the question you asked. I am usually on time with MFP, even though sometimes the time difference makes the "day" finish earlier than it should.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have that issue too-- my sleep schedule changes a lot. I've just been logging my food and exercise under the days I had a particular meal or snack and did my exercise. It's just easier to log and keep track of in my opinion.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself and measure body fat % each day when I wake up. Therefore, anything I eat after midnight I record for the previous day because of its impact on those numbers.

Parenthetically, I rarely eat anything after my dinner, which usually is over by 7 pm. What is now called "Intermittent Fasting" is something grandmothers and mothers have been preaching for generations -- I now listen.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering when people started counting calories for the new day... I have really bad insomnia so I am up until 5-6 AM most nights... I have not been starting a "new" day until around 4-5. Once midnight hits should I start a new day or wait until I wake up next?
    Do you really want to have that schedule? Girl, you need to take the reigns on your sleep/wake cycle...no excuses. Your body will adjust if you start asking it to...like plan to go to bed at 10pm, for example. So you would begin the wind-down process at 9am, shower etc. Cup of Chamomile tea. Yes midnight is the start of the new date. Breakfast at 7am or whatever.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I am an insomniac too, but I have found that a 12 hour fast is necessary for weight loss for me. No matter how hungry I am, I don't eat in the middle of the night. I only eat between 8 am and 8 pm.
    Yes, it's good to keep a schedule, or you get haphazard, can mess up hormones, etc. I eat between 10-11am and 7pm.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    new day starts after my night sleep
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Do whatever works for you as long as you are consistent. I work third shift, and I log from midnight to midnight.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I start usually the next day
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    I work nights, but I always start over at midnight when MFP auto rolls any way. I also have my meals listed by time of day rather than breakfast, lunch, etc... Feel free to look at my diary.

This is exactly what I do as well!
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I log my food by MFP's clock- makes it easier. I just had two cheese sticks- ugh... I had room for more on Saturday, but it is Sunday now for me, so it goes on Sunday.
  • Brittni__duh
    Brittni__duh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't start a new day until I wake up. I'm a college student who doesn't get off work until 1-2 AM. This means I'm usually eating dinner around 11 PM or even after I get off work at 2 AM. If I started a new day at midnight, logging my dinner before my breakfast would just throw me off completely.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    A LOT OF MY STUFF I PUT ON IN ADVANCE, i know what im going to have so i log it the day befor often. that way i tend to keep to it but yes i can still change things on the day if i wont to.