More injuries during weight loss

Options
Andwynn
Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
Over the past month or so I've been losing weight with the aim of slimming down for the dancing concert I'm in (which has crept up and is now tomorrow afternoon!) , but ... first my hamstring went, then last week I had a really nasty cramp in my calf which has left a pain and some kind of weak spot, which is hampering me. I went to the warm up this morning and both injuries were ok, then the first jump re-hurt my calf. :-(
I don't think I'm doing any 'more' than I normally do, I'm just damaging myself more. I'm wondering if the lower intake of calories means I've taken something below a threshold that means I'm deficient in something. First thought is protein (as I'm vegetarian, so my protein intake isn't huge anyhow).
Anyone else find they're picking up more injuries whilst losing weight? (and any advice on how to cure a really nasty calf pain and a bit of an achey back really really quickly!! I think I may have to be on the painkillers tomorrow for the show)

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Yep. Calf injury, hamstring injury, groin injury, recurring achilles tendonitis. I was told it's partially increasing quantitiy, but also increasing intensity. So maybe you haven't been doing more, but perhaps weight loss has allowed you to work at a greater level of intensity.
    My calf injury was a b***h! Ended up having to stop running for about two months. That was after about 6 weeks of short resting then having it flare back up. Should have just stopped for 3-4 weeks at the beginning and would have healed quicker. It would start to feel better, until I did just the wrong thing and it would come right back. Don't push it.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Definitely double-check that your calorie goals are correct and make sure you're getting enough protein, roughly 1gram per pound of LBM.

What exactly are you doing to exercise your hamstrings and calves? Exercises, sets, reps, and training split?

I feel your pain, I did my right hamstring in really bad once and it took me three months to get back to doing leg work.
  • Andwynn
    Options
    Dancing - tap, jazz and ballet (hurt the hamstring in jazz - left leg kicked up at the back, bend forward to put hands on/towards the ground, right hamstring went 'ping', the calf injury I'm not even entirely sure how I did it, think I was running for a train when it first went but then it seemed to go into a long cramp).
  • Andwynn
    Options
    Don't push it.

Unfortunately the dancing concert is 5pm today, with a dress rehersal this morning, and I /have/ to get through it - first time on stage in 25 years and probably my last opportunity, especially if I drop out now. 6pm tonight is when I can start resting it!

Thanks guys.