Tingling in toes on elliptical?

Options
Each time I go on the elliptical and the stationary cycle at the gym I get a tingling in the balls of my feet and toes after about 5 mins. I can only stay on them for around 10 mins before my feet feel like there have gone numb. I wear running trainers, which are tied not tight and not loose.

Its really frustrating. Does anyone have a solution to the problem?

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you're pressing down with your heels and not just your toes.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you're pressing down with your heels and not just your toes.

I also get it when on the recumbent cycle and the pedals have the straps over them which means the pedal only goes up to the arch of my foot at most.
    This makes near impossible to press with anything other than the ball of my foot.

I will try the elliptical again though tmorw and try and push more with my heels. I think maybe I'm leaning forward? I've never used these machines before I started the gym a couple of weeks ago so I'm learning all the time! :smile:
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    mght be your feet are getting squished in your shoes from how youre "pedalling" the machine. I find standing further back on the foot rest and making sure i'm using my heels as a way to walk helps.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i get tingling toes when i am running if i don't stretch my calves before working out. i spend a good 3 minutes per calf doing different stretches (which in stretching time seems like FOREVER).... i repeat the same stretches when i finish but for only about 2 minutes. apparently tight muscles can put pressure on a nerve near your Achilles tendon, which can cause numbing.. if that doesn't help, then i'd go see your doctor because numbness can be a sign of a few different medical conditions... hope that helps.
  • yvo2002
    yvo2002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've got exactly the same problem! It is really frustrating! I don't know why it happens, but I'd love to know...
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i get numb feet every time i go on the elliptical i've tried different shoes, socks, standing positions and nothing helps i just lift one foot off for a few secs as i start to feel the tingling and then it seems to go away
  • sera799
    sera799 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have this problem too but when I'm running, and when it happens I just stop and stretch my calves and circle my ankles. If it affects you actually being able to exercise then I'd go to see a doctor, if not, work out what relieves it and just do that.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I get this if I use a running motion with my feet (ie, lift my heels on the up pedal) so I make sure my entire foot doesn't lift up off the pedal now.