Starting Body Beast 7/2/12

Options
If anyone would like to tag along and join me on my first journey through Body Beast please let me know. All the motivation and support we can give will be a huge help as I'm sure this is going to get extreme fast! I have been waiting for a program like this ever since I finished P90X 2 years ago, so I was super excited to see the release of Body Beast last week.

I picked it up yesterday and already watched quite a few of the DVDs to prep and get an idea of the workouts ahead. The nutrition guide is pretty easy to use and straight forward with how much, what and when to eat.

Hope to see others join in and tear this up with me!

Replies

• mattkosc
    mattkosc Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I completed the first day today of Body Beast which was chest and tris, it was awesome! You know you have reached muscle failure when that quiver comes over those areas of the body that you worked and you can barely complete the movement. This is how completing each set is supposed to feel.

I got a good idea of the weights to use for each exercise and I know I held back a little on some for fear of not being able to complete all the reps of each set, but I will push harder for each upcoming workout.

Legs are tomorrow and my weakness are my legs so this should be interesting.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Day 2 brought "Legs" the workout I had feared the most but it wasn't as bad as I had thought. Ya my legs were jelly afterwards and I know they will be sore tomorrow but I was able to complete each set and almost each rep.

Next is back and biceps, can't wait for that one.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Day 3 was back and biceps. Legs are sore from the previous day.

There was more for the back than biceps in this workout.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I never heard of these fitness DVD'S. Seems to be working for you, which is great. Goodluck!
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Thank you! This is a brand new program just released.

Today was all shoulders, 45 mins. of nothing but shoulders - wow, my traps are on fire! I don't think I have ever worked my shoulders as much as I did with this workout which is awesome.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Ok so today I had Beast Cardio and Abs. Ya, the cardio was intense. I think that from the beginning until the end my heart rate was up which I did not expect. The sweat was pouring this morning for sure - great workout.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am considering getting this..... In the you tube videos it shows women doing it as well! I love lifting! What are your thoughts so far and okay for a woman??
  • mattkosc
    Options
    There is no reason why women can't do it, there are many women on this site that weight lift which this program is heavy with. I think it would be a great program for anyone who is looking to get into or improve their weight lifting routine.

I am loving Body Beast because I wanted something that had a majority of weight lifting and a detailed nutrition plan that explained what foods to eat, when and why.

Good luck to you and let me know how it goes!
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Today was the second go around and I noticed I was able to up my weight because I had done the workout once and knew what was going on and what was coming. So I feel I gave it my all today during chest and tris.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Had "Legs" again today and I don't know what it is with my legs, but my thighs get so weak during any extended work with them. My calves can take just about anything and just get tight and "worked", but my thighs just burn and make me feel like giving in too early so I have to push to reach each rep goal. This is defiantly were I will be focusing most of my attention with this program, that is to make my thighs stronger.

I was able to up my weights from the first time, which is a plus so I am happy with that for now.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Today was the second time for Back & Biceps. I was pretty happy with today's workout because I upped my weights from the last time by quite a bit now that I know what this workout is all about.
    Also think I am getting the nutrition pretty close to where I want it so its a good day!
  • mattkosc
    Options
    What an awesome day today was! It was shoulders and I improved quite a bit from the first time. I was able to up my weights by almost double from the first time. I am very happy with today's workout, and all though tomorrow is a rest day I kind of wish it wasn't so I could keep moving forward and progressing like I was able to today.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    I had another awesome workout today. During chest and tris I felt as though I had an unlimited amount of energy and I gave it all to my workout today. I was very happy with today's effort and with great days like this I love this workout even more.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Legs workout in the books yesterday (forgot to post) and I tried to be aggressive with this workout because as I have said my legs are my weak point, so for bulgarian squats I increased my weights way above the previous 2 workouts, unbelievably I probably could have done even more on the 8 reps, maybe I was just holding back afraid of failing the two previous workouts, we'll see next time legs come around.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    Today - Back & Bis and I feel that I am still on goal by making myself increase weights every time the same workout comes around again.

I made the chili that is in the nutrition guide for Body Beast and I absolutely love this recipe! Honestly it is probably one of the best chili recipes I have tried.
  • scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You are doing great!

I am doing P90X right now, and may do Les Mills Pump next.... I am not ready for the level of lifting in Body Beast, but maybe after Les Mills...

If you would like a friend to cheer you on and help keep you motivated, you can add me! I'm always looking for friends that like to workout hard!
  • mattkosc
    Options
    So today was legs and I have to admit that I don't feel that I brought it as much as I could have. I felt slow, sluggish and weak for this workout, I was able to come close to most of my progress as far as weights but I just feel like this wasn't one of my better workouts.

Hoping to not have anymore days like today.
  • mikedanilson
    Options
    What kind of equipment do you need? Are dumbbells enough? Interested in the program but don't want to have to buy more equipment.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in hearing about equipment requirements. The program appears to be marketed towards men but I assume it would be effective for women also. I finished P90X and have 30 days left in P90X2 - trying to decide what next. Leaning towards lifting programs versus a program like insanity. Was thinking about stronglifts but my access to weights is primarily dumbbells.
  • mattkosc
    Options
    I am using dumbbells and a bench, also a pull up bar. The program also includes an ez curl bar but there is the option of using dumbbells instead, and if you don't have a bench you can use a stability ball.

Body Beast does seem to be targeted toward men but I see that many women are also doing the program. It is not gender specific and I think Body Beast is a great program for anyone looking to get into weight lifting.