Quick fix?

Options
I am 39 yrs old, approx 5'9" tall and 156lb. I would like to shift 16lb in the next 7 weeks. First of all, I am not looking for a lecture; I am well aware that this weight loss will not be sustainable and that to lose weight that quickly is deemed unhealthy by many. I am, however, going on holiday and really want to look my best and feel confident in a bikini for the first time in a very long time.
What would all you experts recommend would be the best way to go about losing this kind of weight in 7 weeks? I am prepared to work hard but I do not have a gym membership and cannot afford a trainer right now so anything I do would need to be under my own steam. Diet wise I tend to work well with a low carb/ high fat solution but am open to ideas. Help is appreciated!!

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Well if you aren't interested in doing it the healthy way, then just eat 500 calories a day and run on the treadmill for a couple hours a day. That should take care of it.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well if you aren't interested in doing it the healthy way, then just eat 500 calories a day and run on the treadmill for a couple hours a day. That should take care of it.

Sorry - I don't know where exactly in my question I said I wasn't interested in doing it the healthy way. My question is simply can anyone make recommendations on losing 16lb in 7 weeks to someone who is prepared to work very hard to achieve something I know is difficult in such a short time. Difficult but not impossible. I appreciate it may not be sustainable but as it is only 7 weeks out of my entire life I am prepared for that. I specifically said I did not want a lecture; replies are appreciated only from those with something constructive to add.
  • Marquism123
    Options
    Bump! Anyone?!
  • jealous_loser
    Options

Sorry - I don't know where exactly in my question I said I wasn't interested in doing it the healthy way. My question is simply can anyone make recommendations on losing 16lb in 7 weeks to someone who is prepared to work very hard to achieve something I know is difficult in such a short time. Difficult but not impossible. I appreciate it may not be sustainable but as it is only 7 weeks out of my entire life I am prepared for that. I specifically said I did not want a lecture; replies are appreciated only from those with something constructive to add.

I think they were giving you what you wanted to hear. It is hard to do that. There is no miracle here.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Here is some constructive advice: Your goal is unreasonable given your current stats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss doesnt make you look good in a bikini, its fat loss. Figure out your tdee, cut 20% and do 4 days os strength training, 2 days of HIIT. Also, eat clean natural foods. If you want to drop some water weight cut carbs to 30%, protein to 50% and fats to 30%. Also get all your carbs from fruit and veggies, eliminate grains, breads and all processed carbs. Also eat lean meats that are high in fat but low in saturated fat. Also add fish a few times a week as they have plenty of omega threes whicoh aid weight loss. Also minimize dairy.
  • Marquism123
    Options

I think they were giving you what you wanted to hear. It is hard to do that. There is no miracle here.

I am sorry but it is perfectly possible to lose just over 2lb per week in a healthy way. Challenging, difficult and requiring significant commitment and dedication, but possible. It is not requiring of a miracle and I was not asking for one. Eating 500 calories and running 2 hours on a treadmill is unpleasant sarcasm, not constructive advice. I will repeat myself; I would appreciate some constructive suggestions
  • Marquism123
    Options
    Weight loss doesnt make you look good in a bikini, its fat loss. Figure out your tdee, cut 20% and do 4 days os strength training, 2 days of HIIT. Also, eat clean natural foods. If you want to drop some water weight cut carbs to 30%, protein to 50% and fats to 30%. Also get all your carbs from fruit and veggies, eliminate grains, breads and all processed carbs. Also eat lean meats that are high in fat but low in saturated fat. Also add fish a few times a week as they have plenty of omega threes whicoh aid weight loss. Also minimize dairy.
    Thanks for this - what is HIIT?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

What effects are you presuming will occur by eliminating specific food items given that you have no knowledge of the users individual intolerances? EDIT: I'm being presumptuous. Perhaps you DO know something about her individual intolerances? I don't see otherwise why you'd suggest food avoidance.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I am sorry but it is perfectly possible to lose just over 2lb per week in a healthy way. Challenging, difficult and requiring significant commitment and dedication, but possible. It is not requiring of a miracle and I was not asking for one. Eating 500 calories and running 2 hours on a treadmill is unpleasant sarcasm, not constructive advice. I will repeat myself; I would appreciate some constructive suggestions

You don't have enough to lose to go down 2lbs a week in a healthy way. Why don't you forget about the scale and just work as hard as you can and be happy that you will have at least shown improvement?
  • jealous_loser
    Options

You don't have enough to lose to go down 2lbs a week in a healthy way. Why don't you forget about the scale and just work as hard as you can and be happy that you will have at least shown improvement?

That was kinda my point. I am 157 pounds right now, and shorter. I have been losing about 0.8-1 pound per week. This is with eating at 1600 calories a day and running C25K three times a week and strength training 3 times a week with a little tennis and walking thrown in there. I guess if I cut my calories a bit more, I might be able to lose more, but I don't think it will stay

OP, you are looking for a quick fix to feel better about yourself? There is no quick fix. You might lose that 15 pounds, but chances are pretty high, you will just gain it back and more. Please just consider trying to do this the right way.
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have heard of a cabbage soup that is good.. I have never tried it.. Also if you lost 2lbs a week that would be 14 lbs in 7 weeks which is suppose to be healthy. I think you can do it. Go high protein, healthy low carbs and lots of water..:drinker: and run.... Great luck!:bigsmile:
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    honestly what will help you look best in the bikini is gaining muscle which you can do in 7 weeks but the scale may not move much. look up bodyweight exercise routines on youtube and do those along with HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training where you run or bike switching from moderate to oh my gawd my heart is going to pop out of my chest and back to moderate intensity again. You burn more calories in 15 minutes of hiit than you do in 30 minutes of single speed exercises because you're jacking your heart rate up and letting it drop and jacking it back up again. Google that, you'll find some good workouts.

But if you want a short term diet and you understand that there's a good chance you'll gain some, if not all+ of the weight back after you stop it, check out the 17 day diet. its 3 phases, each 17 days long that starts out very low carb, high protein & veggie and gradually increases your carb intake to a healthy level. If you can stick to it you'll drop weight, but you will get ridiculously sick of eating basically the same foods over and over!

With the 17 day diet you can't really do much exercise in the first two phases because the calories are too low which is part of why you can wind up gaining weight again quickly.

Good luck to you and enjoy your vacation!
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    If I had 7 weeks to make as much change as possible I wouldn't even think about weight loss as the solution. I would purchase a workout video like p90x or whatever and work my but off. The difference you are going to see in 7weeks of just weight loss may not be the look you are going for. Did I miss the part where you told us your current weight etc?
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    If I had 7 weeks to make as much change as possible I wouldn't even think about weight loss as the solution. I would purchase a workout video like p90x or whatever and work my but off. The difference you are going to see in 7weeks of just weight loss may not be the look you are going for. Did I miss the part where you told us your current weight etc?

First post. 5'6" and 156 pounds.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

5'9 and 156 which is precisely why this goal isn't a good idea.
  • Nikiki
    Options

yep, in the op she says she's 5'9 and 156lbs which is perfectly reasonable to expect to be bikini ready in 7 weeks with something like p90x or insanity and lots of protein.
  • Nikiki
    Options

the weight loss goal may not happen the way she wants but the bikini ready goal isn't totally out of the ball park.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

the weight loss goal may not happen the way she wants but the bikini ready goal isn't totally out of the ball park.

I absolutely agree, but this is not what the OP wants to hear, and the strategies for the above goal differ from her original goal.
  • Marquism123
    Options
    honestly what will help you look best in the bikini is gaining muscle which you can do in 7 weeks but the scale may not move much. look up bodyweight exercise routines on youtube and do those along with HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training where you run or bike switching from moderate to oh my gawd my heart is going to pop out of my chest and back to moderate intensity again. You burn more calories in 15 minutes of hiit than you do in 30 minutes of single speed exercises because you're jacking your heart rate up and letting it drop and jacking it back up again. Google that, you'll find some good workouts.

But if you want a short term diet and you understand that there's a good chance you'll gain some, if not all+ of the weight back after you stop it, check out the 17 day diet. its 3 phases, each 17 days long that starts out very low carb, high protein & veggie and gradually increases your carb intake to a healthy level. If you can stick to it you'll drop weight, but you will get ridiculously sick of eating basically the same foods over and over!

With the 17 day diet you can't really do much exercise in the first two phases because the calories are too low which is part of why you can wind up gaining weight again quickly.

Good luck to you and enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for this! Will google all of the above. I suppose you are right; weighing 140lb is probably just an arbitrary number when what I really want is the solution that will give me the best results in inch and fat loss between now and then. I am sure I will re-gain some but I am prepared for that in exchange for feeling relaxed and comfortable during the vacation I have worked hard for.