Always over my daily sugar allotment?

Hey everyone :)
So I am on a 1200 calorie a day plan, but it seems that i'm always at about double my daily sugar allotmen. The food I eat is pretty much healthy in itself. I don't eat snack food or many carbs. My diet consists mostly of fish, poultry, vegetables and fruits. I know fruit has quite a bit of natural sugars in it, but it seems absurd that I am always so far over my recommended amount. I guess I want to know if anyone else has this issue, or knows what I can do to overcome this.

Replies

• Ignore it? Sugar turns to fat in the body...
  • I do too! seriously I've gone over in breakfast from fruit and skim milk. as long as it's not added sugar, you're fine
  • Okay thank you :) It seems like MFP gives you such a small amount of daily sugar!
  • andreyat
    andreyat Posts: 3 Member
    When I was getting ready for my fitness competition I was not allowed the following foods because od sugar which turns into fat: Alcohol, Fruit, Refined Carbs, Honey,Agava Nectar, Yogurt, Dairy, or Wheat. Hope this helps. You may want to consider cutting back on these foods to cut your sugar and lose more fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    When I was getting ready for my fitness competition I was not allowed the following foods because od sugar which turns into fat: Alcohol, Fruit, Refined Carbs, Honey,Agava Nectar, Yogurt, Dairy, or Wheat. Hope this helps. You may want to consider cutting back on these foods to cut your sugar and lose more fat.

DNL isn't that common and only happens under certain conditions
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Ignore it? Sugar turns to fat in the body...

sort of...
    the body does turn sugar into fat as part of the metabolic process when excess sugar is present. However, several thresholds much breach before this conversion takes place. Cells must first absorb glucose to capacity for immediate use, then muscles must absorb glycogen to capacity for later use. Only then will the body resort to converting glucose into fatty acid for storage in adipose tissue, if blood glucose levels remain too high.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/408673-does-sugar-turn-into-fat/#ixzz20hqauN7W
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

Irrelevant under conditions of calorie deficit. Fat oxidation will meet or exceed fat storage over time. Any fat storage that would occur (and I'm not claiming that it would) due to some sugar is just going to be oxidized

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member

Irrelevant under conditions of calorie deficit. Fat oxidation will meet or exceed fat storage over time. Any fat storage that would occur due to some sugar is just going to be oxidized

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

listen to him. he knows his stuff.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    It looks like you are new, so here's some advice.

This topic has been covered over and over and over and over and over again, as are many that newbies post.

Search the forums with the key word "sugar" and you will find a TON of helpful threads.

This goes for just about any basic topic.
    '
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    For females, it's recommended to keep added sugars to 20mg a day. But that's just added sugar. I wouldn't worry too much about the natural sugars found in things like fruit, plain yogurt, etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

How exactly would that happen with a calorie deficit?

OP: Ignore it unless you have a pre-existing medical condition where you need to limit sugar.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    For females, it's recommended to keep added sugars to 20mg a day. But that's just added sugar. I wouldn't worry too much about the natural sugars found in things like fruit, plain yogurt, etc.

That's exactly what a nutritionist friend told me!
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    I personally don't worry about my sugar intake. I KNOW I take in a lot less sugar since I started my new diet, so I don't bother counting any of it in my food diary.