Hypothyroidism isnt stopping me

Options
jadesign19
jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
I gotta brag.
I just ran my first official 5k race. (35:42 no walking ran the whole race. Yea me)
Finished c25k last week.
Since I started MFP 20 months ago, I lost 26 lbs.
Since I started running and new dietary lifestyle,I am down. From a size 14 dress U.S. (pants size 16) to a comfortable 8(pants 10).
I still have to total my inches lost but I know I'm healthier.
I'm no longer gaining 5lbs every time I step on the scale, it's either a loss or I am the same.
I understand now my body's cycles.

Most of all, I'm no longer focused on the weight. I'm focused on increasing my running distance and improving my time. That's a major milestone, since living with hashimotos hypothyroidism, weight has been an obsession. I've done all the tricks; Jenny Craig, weight watchers, Atkins, south beach. But now I feel confident that I have a lifestyle.

What's next. I have another 5k planned in September. Than I'm gonna start training for a 10k next summer. I plan on running a 5k whenever I can to get experience. It's definitely a mental challenge running with all the young lads and lassies. But also inspiring to run with folks older than me who kick my *kitten*. I definitely wanna be them in my 50's and 60's. Very humbling and inspiring to be where I'm at today.

Replies

• hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The fact that you ran the whole 5K is an achievement in itself! I am so proud of you and I can tell you are very proud of yourself which you absolutely should be! Congrats on all your success and best of luck to you on your future milestones. I have no doubt you will accomplish them all. WAY TO GO!!
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    I have had Hashimotos hypothyroidism for 22 years. As long as your synthroid Meds are the right dosage the disease should not affect you. One new thing I did learn this year is that your drshould also check your T3, not just your T4. My dr gave me another med for my T3 levels and it made a difference. I take 200mg of levothyroxin and 25mg of another med for my T3. Don't let Hashimotos be an excuse, it is easily remedied with the right dosage of replacement Meds. CONGRATS on the progress. Loosing weight and getting fit is a challenge for anyone.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    Wow! What an inspiration! I have hypothyroid and have struggled with weight for 16 years. I'm just getting started on my new lifestyle and am having great luck with mfp. I am losing weight finally and exercising every day. Your story makes me see a light at the end of my very long tunnel! Thanks for sharing!! Keep up the great work!
  • faerie_queen
    Options
    Amazing thanks for sharing! I have Graves' Disease which is the opposite of Hashimotos...it made my thyroid OVER active. But since doing RAI I now am considered hypothyroid as well. It's a struggle when my medicine has to be adjusted but we can fight it. :)
  • nsalerno90
    nsalerno90 Posts: 68
    Options
    Awesome -- I am hypothyroid as well and am still working with Dr. to adjust my meds right. However, I have stopped gaining and am losing inches since I upped my exercise. Your weight loss is awesome - consistent and will stick. It is a lifestyle - not a diet. Congrats to you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!