Couch to 5 K/ HELP me figure out the caloires to log please!

Options
tlnurse
tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
O.K. So I'm attempting to do the couch to 5 K thing! I don't have a HRM. Ht. is 62 .5 inches weight 145. Can somebody out there please tell me how many calories are burned weekly on the plan so I can put it in my exercise log?:drinker:

Replies

• ashwe84
    ashwe84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue! I just started the couch to 5k as well. Good luck to you!
  • tlnurse
    Options
    I'm having the same issue! I just started the couch to 5k as well. Good luck to you!

Thanks....good luck to you too! Feel free to "friend" me if you want....maybe we can support each other through this!
  • ashwe84
    ashwe84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea! Thanks :)
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well, I am 5ft 4 and 188lbs. I burn around 300-325 cals per session in week 1. x
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Love c25k.
    I hope this helps. I'm 5'9 and 170 lbs. when I started c25k I was 188 lbs.
    My HRM the first three weeks or so calculated an approx 300-400 cal burn (about 100 more than MFP. I logged the MFP results.)
    Today I just ran a 5k. 35:42 running straight through and I burned 699 calories. MFP put me at prox 400. I still log MFP burn.

The HRM really has helped me keep my pace under control so I don't kill myself in the first 20 minutes and helps me analyze how I'm doing. But I do feel it's better to be conservative and use the MFP estimate for running at 5mph or a 12 min. Mile.

Since you don't have a HRM, I would follow what MFP calculates. You probably burned more calories, but it's a close estimate.

I did insanity when I weighed in my upper 180's and the calorie difference between MFP and my HRM were significantly different.

I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the speed that you are running at =) I have my HRM and it will range from 280 to 320 depending on how much I push myself.

What I recommend- However many minutes you run log that under the running exercise (so six minutes or so at the 12 min mile speed or whatever) and then log the walking minutes with whatever speed you walk at (3 or 3.5 is most common). Add them together and it will be a good rough estimate for how much you are burning. =)

Hope that makes sense haha
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    If you get a runkeeper app, it will tell you how far you run at wich speed and how many calories you burn doing it. It´s so easy. You can even programme it yourself to your C25K week, each week. It will then tell you when to run and when to walk. Can only recommend it.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I use the Nike+ app in the background. You plug in your stats and it will tell you approx how many calories you burnt. Better than nothing!
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do what Nicci does, split the run time and the walk time and estimate how fast I run (slow jog) so I would have two entries, for example on week 1 I would have 8mins jogging (8x 1min intervals) at 15kph (haha in my dreams!!!) and 20 minutes walking at 4.5kph.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do the same- run a pedometer app in the back ground and I use what it tells me. I also check my heart rate both before I start out and when I'm doing the cool down walk (app on the phone). I typically burn between 240-300 per C25k work out- just depends on how that day went.
  • tlnurse
    Options
    Hi there. Love c25k.
    I hope this helps. I'm 5'9 and 170 lbs. when I started c25k I was 188 lbs.
    My HRM the first three weeks or so calculated an approx 300-400 cal burn (about 100 more than MFP. I logged the MFP results.)
    Today I just ran a 5k. 35:42 running straight through and I burned 699 calories. MFP put me at prox 400. I still log MFP burn.

The HRM really has helped me keep my pace under control so I don't kill myself in the first 20 minutes and helps me analyze how I'm doing. But I do feel it's better to be conservative and use the MFP estimate for running at 5mph or a 12 min. Mile.

Since you don't have a HRM, I would follow what MFP calculates. You probably burned more calories, but it's a close estimate.

I did insanity when I weighed in my upper 180's and the calorie difference between MFP and my HRM were significantly different.

I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

WOW! Congrat's on your 5 K.......hopefully one day I'll complete one too! ....and thanks for the info!:happy:
  • tlnurse
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for responding!:flowerforyou:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    O.K. So I'm attempting to do the couch to 5 K thing! I don't have a HRM. Ht. is 62 .5 inches weight 145. Can somebody out there please tell me how many calories are burned weekly on the plan so I can put it in my exercise log?:drinker:

If I were you, I'd break it down into ____ minutes running and _____ minutes walking for each program and log that way. Then, whatever mfp tells you, I'd use 85-90% of that and use it.

(mfp typically overestimates my burns)
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

What I recommend- However many minutes you run log that under the running exercise (so six minutes or so at the 12 min mile speed or whatever) and then log the walking minutes with whatever speed you walk at (3 or 3.5 is most common). Add them together and it will be a good rough estimate for how much you are burning. =)

i also do not have an HRM (funny side note, i had no idea what an HRM was until i joined MFP two days ago--and being a foolish business student, i wondered why everyone was talking about human resource management on a weight loss site), but this is exactly how i log my c25k workouts. i make two entries, one for the number of running minutes and a second one for the number of walking minutes.

best of luck on c25k! i am currently attempting it for the third time, but i think this one is the charm. been at it for about two and a half weeks so far, and expect to finish this time!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5", 135lbs. I have been doing a modified C25K. Yesterday I ran 2.34 miles at a 10.20 pace, [according to runkeeper} It was about 25-30 minutes including warm up and cool-down. I burned as per my HRM approx 250 calories.
  • kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 yesterday and don't have a HRM and am using an ipod touch from 2008 so can't run any other programs!
    I just split it into walking 5+5+12 (warmup, cooldown, walking parts of session) and 8 minutes of jogging. I selected the slowest running/jogging that MFP had and I think that will be accurate enough for me.
    Not really doing it to burn calories, just want to see if I can ever run 5k.
  • tlnurse
    Options

i also do not have an HRM (funny side note, i had no idea what an HRM was until i joined MFP two days ago--and being a foolish business student, i wondered why everyone was talking about human resource management on a weight loss site), but this is exactly how i log my c25k workouts. i make two entries, one for the number of running minutes and a second one for the number of walking minutes.

best of luck on c25k! i am currently attempting it for the third time, but i think this one is the charm. been at it for about two and a half weeks so far, and expect to finish this time!

Funny on the HRM! LOL.....thanks for the advise and good luck on your C 2 5 K !:happy:
  • tlnurse
    Options
    I did day 1 yesterday and don't have a HRM and am using an ipod touch from 2008 so can't run any other programs!
    I just split it into walking 5+5+12 (warmup, cooldown, walking parts of session) and 8 minutes of jogging. I selected the slowest running/jogging that MFP had and I think that will be accurate enough for me.
    Not really doing it to burn calories, just want to see if I can ever run 5k.

Thanks.....sounds like a good plan! I'm also doing it just to see if I can....but I keep seeing where we are supposed to "eat our exercise calories back".....so needed to figure out how to log in MFP for that.