Obese people and their overweight pets...

When I was with my ex I she overfed our cat, the reason was that if we put the cat on a diet "she'd stop loving us" so she wouldn't let it (to the point of sneaky hidden feeding when she was on holiday) and when I asked her to put the cat on a diet, she said no. My ex was morbidly obese. I'm just wondering if there is a link between her overfeeding the cat and the issue with her overeating (2-3 blocks of chocolate a week was common).

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I over fed my cat- on high carb kibbles and now he is diabetic. (cats are obligate carnivores, mind you) For me, I just thought he was sooo cute being fat. I didn't truly understand how detrimental to his health it really was. I felt like the worst person ever knowing his little body can't produce enough insulin now.... And it's my fault.

I don't think it directly correlated with the way I was eating, but instead, ignorance on my part. In my opinion you can be fat and treat your body like ****- but don't do it to a poor defenseless animal.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    All of my dads pets have been greatly overweight, he has had a problem with overeating but has made great strides in recent years and has lost a lot of weight and is eating healthier. He is a great big softie and will do anything for his pets (and kids, he overfed us as well LOL, we were always well stocked with candy, ice cream, cookies) He can't resist the begging, meowing etc, I once came home from college to find him bringing the cat breakfast in bed! He just loves doting and spoiling people, my mom has put her foot down by not eating the unhealthy stuff he gets for her, so now he gets her flowers instead.
    I think some people express their love through feeding.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    I need to lose weight but my dogs don't. I take my dogs for a walk almost every day.
    My friend is in good shape but her cats are fat. She told me they are just fat , she did not feed them much.
    I can see why those cats don't move much.
    Too answer your question, I don't think it's related.
  • artemisabauer
    artemisabauer Posts: 4 Member
    Hell, I know I like to feed people that I love haha. I'm notorious for finding things friends love and making people their favorite foods.