Faint and Nauseous When I try to Jog

Options
Hi I'm 17stone 2 and 5ft 6. Not at all fit. The exercise I prefer is walking and I can do that with a good heart rate going I can push myself and feel the burn as they say!
But when I try to run or jog, I feel extremely sick after 60 seconds, I feel like i'm going to faint, get blurred vision and my heart goes bananas. The couch to 5k programme is a disaster for me.
Does anyone else get this? I'm just going to stick to walking and try to get fitter and try jogging again.

Replies

• selanders
    selanders Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You might want to see a doctor to be cleared for high-intensity exercise. I've never felt that terrible while running, even when I'm really out of shape. If you want to ease into running, try HIIT, but keep in mind that your "high intensity" could just be jogging for 10-30 seconds before walking until you feel ready for another quick sprint. Whatever you do, I would advise NOT to push yourself to that level of sickness again until you see a doctor. Fainting while running is serious business.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    jogging and running is something to work up to. If you're having those issues when you try, then it's your body's way of telling you it's not ready for that type of exercise. (I'm sorry, I don't know how much a stone is) but I would feel the same way when I tried to jog, up until I was about 190lbs from 205lbs. I still can't jog very far, the furthest I've jogged at once is a half mile so far. As you lose weight, your body will reward you with bein able to do more strenuous exercises.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    First talk to a doctor, feeling faint is never good.

Second hydrate, I drink a 16oz bottle of water in 30 minutes on the treadmill and I'm unfit too.

Third, Something I got from C 2 5k, Go for the stamina first then add the speed, week one is 5 minutes walk, 60 seconds SLOW jog, 90 seconds walk, 60 seconds SLOW jog, 90 seconds walk etc. I struggled getting to the 60 seconds but the 90 second walk helps a lot, its only taken 4 days to reach the point that 60 seconds is not killing me, next week it wants 90 seconds at a time. So do the walk, then add quickie jogs then back to walk, just don't let the heart rate drop.

Just my opinion, see the First piece of advice :)
  • kero2012
    kero2012 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will stop for now and see the doc. I'll probably walk for now until I lose more weight and up my fitness level and maybe try C25k or HIIT again.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    WEES. See your doctor, then modify the programme to start with. What abut 10 seconds run / 10 seconds walk x10, then increase 5 seconds to each interval when you feel ready. The whole idea of C25k is to ease you in. Start slower if you need to.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to see your doctor, but to emphasize something else that one of the other posters said, because MANY people make this mistake: if you're new to running, your running intervals with C25K should be quite slow to begin with - when I first started, I felt like I was barely going faster than a walk. The point of C25K is to build up your body's endurance and cardiovascular fitness so that you can gradually run/jog longer distances. Speed isn't what is important.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running for the run intervals? A lot of people go to fast you should be going at a pace just above the fastest walk you can do.

Walk really quickly until you have no choice but to jog or fall over.
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running for the run intervals? A lot of people go to fast you should be going at a pace just above the fastest walk you can do.

good question. why not walk a treadmill and increase the incline and work on speed later? The calories burned isn't that different. Stay hydrated, also.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Drink enough water for starters if you have not been, and not just during the workout, but being properly hydrated requires you to refule before and after all throughout the day. avoid extreme temperatures, and just pace yourself, i can jog easily on the treadmill because of the controll speed, but i find myself jogging quicker and getting more tired if not on the treadmill, so just pay attention to that, and give it some time. if all you can do is 60seconds then good. then start alternating and adding more time. eat plenty fruits and veggies you should be fine.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I am 204lbs, down 23lbs, but I still can't jog. I walk 2 miles a few times a week. I usually try to jog a little during each walk, but when I jog (even very slowly) if I go over 60 seconds I feel like passing out. And I have been to a doctor and I'm completely healthy. So I guess it is just something that will come with time.
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Definately definately see your doctor! This can be a symptom of diabetes. Also get your heart checked. And if you enjoy walking then walk! It burns loads of calories, is low impact, kind to the joints and easy to do anywhere. Even at home- search leslie sansome on youtube. She's not well known here in UK but Im addicted to walking at home!!!! Good luck x
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 17stone 2 and 5ft 6. Not at all fit. The exercise I prefer is walking and I can do that with a good heart rate going I can push myself and feel the burn as they say!
    But when I try to run or jog, I feel extremely sick after 60 seconds, I feel like i'm going to faint, get blurred vision and my heart goes bananas. The couch to 5k programme is a disaster for me.
    Does anyone else get this? I'm just going to stick to walking and try to get fitter and try jogging again.

17 stone is 238 pounds. Think of the strain you will be putting on your ankles, knees, feet and lower back if you run. Plus you say you are not in shape as yet. It's not worth the potential injuries.

Lose weight, walk more, build up endurance. Your body will let you know when it feels okay to run.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    May seem like but an obvious answer but STOP !

There is a big thing on MFP about running. It isn't for everybody. Even some people who are relatively fit can't handle the physical and mental makeup needed to run distances. There are a million things people can do. Don't force yourself to do something you don't enjoy and your body hates. I'd even say that to people who regard themselves as runners.

My body and mind seems to like running. Not everybody is the same.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anything a 1/2 hour before your workout? I know I get light headed if I don't eat before a run. Maybe just a couple rice cakes with a tablespoon of peanut butter or toast & peanut butter. 1 carb & 1 protein kind of thing. But like others have said definitely something to check with your doctor on before continuing. Best of luck on your journey!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    when I started I was 17 stone 3 lbs and went to the gym and was give a workout plan and was told if to much then slow the pace and build up to it and after a year got down to about 15 stone then I found this site and with the support of all my friends and more have supported me and not near to my level I want to be but like others have said see your doctor first take his advise and good luck
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    If your July 14th food log is an indication of your usual food intake, you are NOT eating enough. You will not be able to run if you don't feed your body the fuel it needs. I would say it's no wonder you feel faint. Eat more!
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Keep walking until you you have trouble getting your heart rate up. Then you'll know when you're ready to start running. Chances are, you were starting out too fast and doing too much too soon.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    May seem like but an obvious answer but STOP !

There is a big thing on MFP about running. It isn't for everybody. Even some people who are relatively fit can't handle the physical and mental makeup needed to run distances. There are a million things people can do. Don't force yourself to do something you don't enjoy and your body hates. I'd even say that to people who regard themselves as runners.

My body and mind seems to like running. Not everybody is the same.

Great advice!

And let me add my two cents here....

As a fat girl trying to run, I've learned a few things:
    1. I do better on an empty stomach.
    2. 60 seconds may not sound like a lot, but IT IS A LOT!! if you are determined to run, follow a program like Couch to 5 k....Obvioulsy a full minute of running is too much right now, so try 25-30 seconds at a time.
    3. WATER! I cannot stress enough the need to be well hydrated!
    4. While you may be a fabulous, fast walker, the mechanics of running are different enough to throw you for a real loop- both physically and mentally.
    5. And like the other poster said, if it's too bad, you might need to stop and do something else instead.
  • millieb73
    millieb73 Posts: 12
    Options
    PLEASE see your doctor straight away. Do you feel faint at other times? For example if you stand up quickly? This could be a blood pressure issue and I can't stress enough the importance of getting it checked out.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    1. See a doctor, make sure it is not something big.
    2. Assuming the doc clears you, slow way, way, way down.
    3. Slow down some more. Speed will come with endurance, you should feel the running is a challenge but not killer.