weight loss and min calorie intake?

I just started trying to loose weight.My goal is 109 pounds.I'm using the equate ultra loss shakes two times a day and a healthy-ish dinner.But truthfully I don't know much about this at all.I've been averaging less than 1100 calories a day doing this for the last week,when my goal is supposed to be 2130.My husband says this isn't exactly healthy.So my question is how much should you eat when trying to loose weight?I thought I was doing very good but I don't want to make myself sick either....

Replies

• hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Is dinner the only meal you're eating?
  • yes it has been besides the shakes.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    I just started trying to loose weight.My goal is 109 pounds.I'm using the equate ultra loss shakes two times a day and a healthy-ish dinner.But truthfully I don't know much about this at all.I've been averaging less than 1100 calories a day doing this for the last week,when my goal is supposed to be 2130.My husband says this isn't exactly healthy.So my question is how much should you eat when trying to loose weight?I thought I was doing very good but I don't want to make myself sick either....

How much do you weigh at the moment?

Have you worked out your TDEE? try this - http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Depending on your TDEE, 1100 may well be too low for you, as it seems a very aggressive defict. Anything over 30% is considered aggressive.

have a read of this

http://davfitfitnessforum.forumotion.com/t56-muscle-retaining-factor-1-severity-of-calorie-deficit-by-tom-venuto-a-trusted-friend

It's great to see that your husband is being supportive and worrying about you - there are often threads on here about unsupportive family.

:flowerforyou:
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    I know that I ate 1,200 calories for three months and didn't lose a pound. I started "cheating" (and logging it) and eating around 1,500, and the weight started falling off like crazy. Then I did some reading, decided to never eat below my BMR, and life has been good since. :-)
  • I currently weight 240 and I'm 5'4".My husband is trying to do this with me but I've been a bit more aggressive about it than he has.And we were kind of comparing what we had done during the week and he said that he didn't think I was taking in enough calories.I will check out those sights.Thank you.
  • I just started trying to loose weight.My goal is 109 pounds.I'm using the equate ultra loss shakes two times a day and a healthy-ish dinner.But truthfully I don't know much about this at all.I've been averaging less than 1100 calories a day doing this for the last week,when my goal is supposed to be 2130.My husband says this isn't exactly healthy.So my question is how much should you eat when trying to loose weight?I thought I was doing very good but I don't want to make myself sick either....

the 1000 calorie diet seems to be the amount that is fastest for weight loss but allows you to still get all/most of your nutrients if played out well.
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Is this a part of a plan you've talked to your doctor about? Because that doesn't sound very healthy. And that means you're getting all your calories from food at one meal in the evening.
  • that TDEE thing is showing more than my min. calorie intake on myfitnesspal...?my fitness pal says it should be 2130 and the TDEE says 2549?
  • feellikerain
    feellikerain Posts: 46 Member
    Those shakes are the equivalent to Slim-fast, right? If so, Slim-fast says you should be eating minimum 1200 calories a day. You should have a shake for breakfast, a healthy snack, a shake for lunch, another healthy snack, dinner, and then a THIRD healthy snack.

Source: http://www.slim-fast.com/3-2-1plan/visitor-Plan.aspx

I just want to mention... I'm not a fan of Slim-fast's recommended snacks. When you're getting such a limited number of calories in the day, if you eat something high in protein (greek yogurt, nuts, cheese, milk, edamame, tuna salad, chicken, cottage cheese, etc...) it will help keep you feeling full longer.
  • I recommend no lower than 1800 cals a day for any woman. But I really dont count calories that much, I log it here but i really dont care. I eat clean and watch my portions not my calories. If you eat veggies and natural foods you do not have to worry about counting calories as bad. Clean Eats is the way to go! If you lower your calorie intake to much you will stall or stop your metabolism, so up your food intake but with healthy and natural foods. There's no way you are gonna eat 1000 calories with fresh veggies, and if you do its not fat. Not saying to load a salad up and then turn around and put all that cheese and dressing on it, that is silly, seen it done though. -_- silly people!
    Google Clean Eating- good recipes as well.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    The big problem when you eat under your BMR is that you may be losing muscle instead of fat. If you eat at your TDEE you will be just be maintaining your present weight so you should be eating at least 500 calories below that figure but staying above your BMR.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    I would eat as close to the calories that MFP recommended as you can.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    that TDEE thing is showing more than my min. calorie intake on myfitnesspal...?my fitness pal says it should be 2130 and the TDEE says 2549?

When they ask for your fitness level for the purpose of calculating your TDEE they are asking about your daily activity level as it relates to your job (ie if you sit at a desk all day you are burning less than a mailman or a salesclerk) not for the added exercise you are doing in conjunction with your diet.
  • I haven't been to the doctor about it.I've been told by one to loose weight and when I asked how he said count calories.And when I was like how do you do that he really couldn't tell me lol.SO I thought I would try this...I have a friend that has done body by vi and lost like 240 pounds in 270 days.But I can't afford that so I thought I would try the generic slim fast thing.
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    I am absolutely not a fancy doctor or anything like that.

I do agree with your husband that you should eat more than just 1 meal a day of real food.

Eating only half of your recommended calories is not a great idea either. I assume this is the recommended amount calculated here on MFP? I personally eat all, or close to all, of the calories it is recommending I eat (1540) and am losing weight more rapidly than what I had entered (1.5 lbs/wk).

Also, if you eat only one meal of real food per day, it is probably a better idea to do it at breakfast than dinner. When you eat more calories earlier in the day it gives you more opportunity to burn them before sleeping. This is something I picked up from Harley Pasternak's 5 Factor fitness and diet.

I think overall the concern is that your metabolism will plummet, when you want to keep it high. There are posts like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing linked to in a sticky'd newbies thread.
  • Thats basically what my husband said.That I should be eating healthy snacks in between.I'm gonna go to the store in a bit and stock up on them:)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    that TDEE thing is showing more than my min. calorie intake on myfitnesspal...?my fitness pal says it should be 2130 and the TDEE says 2549?

What did you set your weigh loss goal at - i.e. how many pounds per week?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

Yep, that would be right - the TDEE is what you would eat to maintain your weight. MFP has factored in a defict so you can lose weight.

If 2500 is your maintenance calories, you could go to 1800 and still lose weight. there is absolutely no reason to go as low as 1100.

Good Luck.
  • I am absolutely not a fancy doctor or anything like that.

I do agree with your husband that you should eat more than just 1 meal a day of real food.

Eating only half of your recommended calories is not a great idea either. I assume this is the recommended amount calculated here on MFP? I personally eat all, or close to all, of the calories it is recommending I eat (1540) and am losing weight more rapidly than what I had entered (1.5 lbs/wk).

Also, if you eat only one meal of real food per day, it is probably a better idea to do it at breakfast than dinner. When you eat more calories earlier in the day it gives you more opportunity to burn them before sleeping. This is something I picked up from Harley Pasternak's 5 Factor fitness and diet.

I work nights so technically my dinner is my breakfast,so I guess that works for me.lol
  • 6ftcuti
    6ftcuti Posts: 1
    HOW ABOUT, JUST FOLLOW THE PROGRAM. IT TAKES CALORIES IN FOR ENERGY AND CALORIES OUT. IT YOU ARE NOT PROPERLY FUELING YOUR BODY YOUR LACK OF ENERGY MAY CAUSE YOU NOT WANTING TO EXCERSICE WHICH MAY KEEP YOU AT A PLATO. SHAKES ARE BORING AND NOT GOOD TO FILL YOU UP!! YOU MAY GET TIRED OF THEM FAST! I HAVE DONE EVERY PROGRAM UNDER THE SUN AND SO FAR THIS IS THE ONLY THAT HAS WORKED FOR ME. ITS AMAZING TO SEE HOW FAST THE CALORIES ADD UP!!! GOOD LUCK:wink: