Possible blood glucose issue (not sure, just guessing)

Options
Hey guys,

So I have been having some issues lately and unfortunately I don't have the money to go to the doctor or cover any expenses related to it and I'm trying to find ways to do some self diagnosis, monitoring, and fixing of the problems.

Background, I used to eat lots crap - way too much sugar, fat carbs, preservatives, fast food, alcohol etc and I have made many changes to my diet and lifestyle - although I admittedly have many areas to improve in.

Probably a few weeks ago (although I don't know for sure) I started getting lightheaded and seeing "stars" anytime I got up. I had thought that it was related to water intake as I hadn't been tracking it since I thought I was drinking more than enough. I started tracking it and drinking and it seemed like my problem was relieved. Well, it's back with vengeance.

Pretty much every time I stand up I get lightheaded and my vision fades a bit. On Saturday I had a Zumba class and had overslept and didn't have time for breakfast (my guess is this is directly related to the severity of that incident) and during my cool down my vision started whiting out on the edges and I tried taking deep breaths and closing my eyes but it got worse and worse until I almost couldn't see so I went and sat down. I kind of crept off and once everyone was finished one of the ladies who works at the center my class was at came over and I told her I thought I had a problem. She gave me a glucose tablet and that definitely helped but it scared the crap out of me. She had been talking about blood sugar levels, the effects of past eating habits and all these things that were probably really helpful but I was in a bit of a panic and I probably missed some really helpful things.

I experience tingling in my hands from time to time and I've noticed that I get ridiculously irritable "randomly" and I go from my happy go lucky self to some demon from depths of mordor without much of a provocation.

My diary is open and all are welcome to take a look (yesterday sucked, didn't even much good stuff and had a margarita). I changed my macros to 40, 30, 30 and seem to always go over carbs (which I've heard can cause some sort of spike). I am going out of the country for three weeks in August but once I get back I plan on implementing lots of changes but I guess I don't really know what would be best.

I do plan on going to a doctor when I get back in the country but it's just not something that can happen right now. I know they sell all sorts of medical testing stuff at Walmart and wherever and I was thinking I could scrape up some money and find some sort of monitor / testing device just to see where my blood glucose is - but I have no idea what I should be looking for and don't want to spend money on the wrong thing.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I could be way off here, and there is no replacement for true medical advice, but it sounds like a blood pressure issue. You mention that this happens when you stand up, which causes a shift in blood pressure. Have you tested your bp? There are plenty of places where you can test it for free and can hopefully rule it out as a cause. Also, with the hands tingling, it could signal poor circulation. I struggle with (too) low blood pressure, and it sounds like the problems I have when I'm not active enough. Either way, it is best to get your blood tested asap from a professional.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    First, if any of this continues, I'd see a doctor. Your health is worth whatever you'd have to pay. Sorry that you're in a situation where the money is even an issue.

Second, feeling lightheaded when standing up sounds like low blood pressure, not anything to do with blood sugar. Is there a drug store with a free blood pressure machine around? I don't think blood pressure a little on the low side is a big issue, but it will cause lightheadedness on standing.

Third, are you irritable all the time or just when you're hungry? Irritability when hungry could be low blood sugar. Again probably not a big deal if you just make sure to eat regularly, preferably slowly digested foods with lots of protein, fat, and complex carbs, as opposed to simple carbs like sugar.

Fourth, if any of this continues, I'd see a doctor. Your health is worth whatever you'd have to pay. Sorry that you're in a situation where the money is even an issue.
  • littlemom1983
    littlemom1983 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Now. It could be glucose levels. It could be blood pressure issues. It could be serious. Or not. Go to the doctor BEFORE you go out of the country for three weeks. Here you have the ability to deal with the familiar (your own doctor, local medical facilities and familiar medical practices) If you have insurance, will it cover emergencies overseas? If you don't have insurance, can you afford the costs if you become unconscious while doing something and are taken to the local emergency room while you are out of the country? The last thing you need is to wake in a hospital in a foreign country, only to find they want to run all kinds of tests and many of them need follow-ups. If you get it checked out NOW, then you won't have to worry about it, and can deal with whatever it may be. Just my opinion, of course.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    This is probably really stupid - but when I go to the doctor and they strap that thing on my arm - aren't they testing for blood pressure with that?

I did have that done when I went for my "womanly" check up a few weeks ago and they said everything was fine (although that could not be blood pressure reading so this could be a moot point).

I could go to a walgreens or something and I believe they all have those testing machines - good place to start to get a reading. I think I will try this in a bit when I go for a walk.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It would be irresponsible for me to try to diagnose you, but blood pressure was my first guess as well. I have tons of tingling and numbness in my limbs. I thought I was diabetic, but the test said otherwise. I know it's scary, but try not to think about it being blood sugar issues too much. It can drive you batty, for sure.

That said, the CVS minute clinic does blood sugar tests. Walmart makes the cheapest glucometer on the market, but when you factor in the test strips, it's a minimum investment of about 40 bucks.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    I'm going to stop at a pharmacy on my way out and see if I can find one of those blood pressure machines and when I get back in the house I am going to call my mom and see if we can go see my former primary and ask her to help me cover the costs (at least any initial ones that have to be paid immediately). I fly out of GA on the 26th and will be back at my parents for a week before my mom and I head out of the country the first week of Aug.

Thanks guys
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    the whiting out of your vision and dizzyness can also becaused by ocular migrains.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    the whiting out of your vision and dizzyness can also becaused by ocular migrains.

I get headaches from time to time but as far I can tell there hasn't been any head pain when these whiteouts or dizzyness occur. I don't know anything about ocular migraines so does no pain more or less rule it out or no?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know u asay have no money for the doctor, but your health is THE most important thing you have....
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Both of those sounds like blood pressure to me actually. For me, if I don't drink enough and start retaining water, it makes my fingers swell and tingle. I get irritable, I'll have headaches and I'll be really dizzy, especially when exercising or when I stand up too fast. I'd definitely get that checked.

One way to check glucose--when it happens, drink a glass of orange juice. If it helps, your BG was probably low. On the other hand, some drug stores occasionally offer free testing for diabetes and other things, or you can probably find a cheap BG monitor somewhere if you don't want the trip to the doctor.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    I know u asay have no money for the doctor, but your health is THE most important thing you have....

I absolutely agree and I assure you I am not taking this lightly. Like I said, I will reach out to my mom and see if she can help me cover some of the costs when I get back up north.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When blood pressure is tested we are sitting down. Gettting light headed when standing sounds like blood pressure. The irritability can be blood sugar. Getting enough fat and protein to help stabilize carbs is important. Small frequent meals help me to feel better.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    Both of those sounds like blood pressure to me actually. For me, if I don't drink enough and start retaining water, it makes my fingers swell and tingle. I get irritable, I'll have headaches and I'll be really dizzy, especially when exercising or when I stand up too fast. I'd definitely get that checked.

One way to check glucose--when it happens, drink a glass of orange juice. If it helps, your BG was probably low. On the other hand, some drug stores occasionally offer free testing for diabetes and other things, or you can probably find a cheap BG monitor somewhere if you don't want the trip to the doctor.

I'm going to speak with someone at the pharmacy near me in just a few minutes - I will definitely ask if they offer free testing. Thanks for the tip!
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    You can also go to most staffed fire stations and get a bp check...at least I know they do that around here.
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I agree with the others you do need medical advice. It could be one of a whole range of issues.

Your diet can help though. Try not to leave very long periods between eating. Ideally something every 3-4 hours can help balance normal glucose levels (though it wont 'solve' any underlying problems). For instance if its usually 7 hours between brekkie and lunch a healthy snack like fruit and yoghurt, or cracker bread and cheese will keep you going. Leaving long periods between meals plays havoc with glucose levels.

Also, dont know how long you have been 'dieting' but coming off a high sugar high fat diet can bring on side effects, along with reducing coffee intake. Again this can be helped by eating small amounts regularly. You dont have to go back on the chocolate to feel better!

Once you have been to a doctor a dietician might be able to help. They can help tailor a diet to any underlying issues (if any, or even if you have health issues due to being overweight, which is real for many of us). What suits me may not suit you so its great to get individual advice
  • Fannyannefeisty
    Options
    My thoughts are that your hormones may also play a part in moods, appetite and general well being. But I think your BP is probably a big factor too, only a doctor who can examine you will really be able to help you.

I am eternally grateful for the NHS... having to self diagnose that sort of thing in this day and age borders on barbaric. I hope you find the cause and feel better soon.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can also go to most staffed fire stations and get a bp check...at least I know they do that around here.

I live here locally with her and have just sent her to my husbands Fire Station. He said they will do blood pressure and blood glucose check for her. Thank you.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    www.symptoms.webmd.com/

plug in the things that are happening to you...its a great site...

it does to me sound like bp problems....All Walmarts have blood pressure machines that are free..

i saw a commercial the other day on TV that said if you come in to the pharmacy, someone will check your blood pressure free...it was Walgreens or CVS....not sure which...call them on the phone..

i have heard of tingling of the fingers and light headedness as a symptom of low blood sugar.....

good luck
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have just been diagnosed with Hypoglycemia, which is low blood sugar. On the brochure she gave me about Hypoglycemia they list the following as low blood sugar signs and syptoms:

Sweating
    Headache
    Extreme tiredness and paleness
    Trembling
    Hunger
    Blurred vision
    Dizziness
    Mood changes

I have been instructed to eat at least six small meals a day, to combine a protein with a carb and to keep some kind of sugar source with me at all times to take when I feel faint.

You really do need to see a Doctor as soon as you are able. I live in Canada so I am lucky that money is not an issue when it comes to medical needs. I hope you get the attention you need as soon as possible.
  • soontobesam
    Options
    Woop woop for local Fire Departments and amazing friends!

I went to Walgreen's to get a reading and my BP came back at 101/78 (the pharmacists had me sit down for 5 minutes before she took and then spent a few minutes fumbling around) and when I got out to my car my amazing friend (who I met on MFP) called me and told me she called her amazing husband (also on MFP) and explained my situation and he had said I could come by the FD so he could take some readings.

He took my glucose and it came back at 90 which and he also retested my BP and that came back at 125/85 - normal!

So not only did I get to meet another fellow MFPer but I also determine my blood glucose and BP are normal which relieved a lot of my anxiety.

Thanks everyone for the tips and well-wishes and thanks to some really great friends for helping a girl out. :flowerforyou: