Baking, broiling chicken breasts?

Options
eclare87
eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
I want to start making a few chicken breasts on Sunday evenings to eat during the week. I don't have a grill so I was thinking broiling or baking would be a good option. I could pan fry but I was hoping to cut down on oils.

I do have a roasting rack and cookie sheet so I guess I could use that to faux-grill it in my oven? Anyone done this before? Do you need to use oils if you are just broiling or baking?

Planning to use the chicken in wraps and salads and with quinoa as go-to meals throughout week. Thanks for any ideas as far as what is yummiest and healthiest and easiest, of course! :)

Replies

• nofatpants4me
    Options
    You could do it in the oven, but the best investment we have made is our George Foreman grill. We started out with the small one and it was really a hassle to clean. After we finally wore it out, we got one a bit bigger and the grilling plates are removable so you can take them off & wash them. We cook everything on them. Cooks on both sides so it is a lot faster, and the meat is moist and not greasy. Just use your favorite seasonings.
  • eclare87
    Options
    Thanks but I don't have a grill. Any ideas for baking or broiling?
  • HeatherTransformed
    HeatherTransformed Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a baking pan that I fill with water and then stick the chicken breast (mostly covered by water) in it and bake in the oven. I will shred the chicken when it's done and add salsa for seasoning.... great on a salad.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've been bbqing all summer but I bake a lot in the winter. My best advice for you is to sear the chicken before baking it. Heat up a frying pan and quickly brown all sides before putting it in the oven. This keeps the meat juicy and reduces baking time :) One of my favorite meals is to cut up veggies (potato, carrots, onions, parsnip, eggplant, cucumber) throw on chicken and spices and bake for awhile. Very easy cleanup and can be stored for a few days :)
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love baking chicken, but I usually use a marinade - which does involve some oil. My goal isn't to cut oils out (they help you absorb nutrients from your foods), but to make healthier choices when it comes to oils. I typically use a vinegar or citrus juice along with a bit of olive oil, garlic, and fresh herbs. It adds flavor and helps keep the chicken from drying out while baking. If you're looking for a way to crisp it, try putting some foil down on your cookie sheet. Good luck!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use some seasoned chicken stock....Put chicken in and poach until cooked....Let cool...put on salad, sandwiches...I'm not even turning the oven on in this heat.....
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    I broil a lot, the trick with chicken breast is being careful to not cook for too long or they will get dry. A broiler pan came with my oven so I use that and I'm always either marinading them before hand or picking up some new seasoning to use on them. I love lemon pepper or using italian dressing to marinade. I realize you're going to pick up some calories with the marinade but not enough to not do it! There's all kinds of marinades from bottled to packets of powder that you mix with vinegar or oil. Good luck!
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    I wrap mine in foil. If you keep oven at perfect temp they actually brown nicely and are juicy. Try 375 and see how that works. For mine that takes about 35 minutes but you may need to experiment! I sprinkle spices on before cooking. You can put the tin foil wrapped chicken on baking sheet for easy removal from oven. Careful when opening foil!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yup, I poach chicken all the time - makers them lovely and moist!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot. Throw all of them in, add a jar of salsa or peppercinis and cook all day. Then I shred it all up and portion it out for meals. Doesn't heat up the kitchen and I don't have to watch it so it doesn't burn.
  • eclare87
    Options
    great tips, thanks everyone! for healthy marinating is it best to just spray some olive oil and sprinkle spices? or you do actually put in ziplock baggie and let it sit in the fridge?
  • Kiswinning
    Kiswinning Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use some seasoned chicken stock....Put chicken in and poach until cooked....Let cool...put on salad, sandwiches...I'm not even turning the oven on in this heat.....

I do the same thing and season the water with onions and different seasonings.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    Hi, I cook chicken breast a lot. I marinade it with lemon juice, a little olive oil and red wine vinegar, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and use my grill pan or broiler. It's really good! I usually let it sit in the fridge in a freezer bag with the marinade for half an hour but if I don't have time I'll cover it in a container on the counter for like 10 minutes. You can find a lot of other ideas online too, I go to cooks.com or food network a lot for recipes
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal - cutting back on oil completely or consuming small amounts of healthy oils (like the ones you find in almonds and olives). I marinate a few breasts in a Ziploc bag with about 4 tablespoons of citrus juice or vinegar and 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the herbs. Another option is to brine the breasts in a mixture of kosher salt and water, just watch your sodium intake for the day. If you brine them you could still make the marinade for flavor. You'd just boil it to release the flavor of the herbs and garlic, maybe throw in some green onion, and brush it on to the breasts as they bake. Ohhh a good alternative I just remembered: I've let chicken breasts soak in skim milk over night before (no additional oil or fat needed just what's already in the milk). The lactic acid in the milk does the job and keeps them moist - but I would add some spices or flavor to the milk as well. If you just brush it or soak it in milk and then add flavor to the outside of the chicken, the inside will be really flavorless.