Help! why is the scale moving up?!?!

Options
I've started eating more and the scale is moving upward! I've been measuring too and the measurements havent really changed!! Along with increasing my intake, I've tried to watch my carbs, and increase my protein. I thought I have been doing pretty good, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any extra advice is much appreciated!!

Replies

• kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    any particular reason you started eating more?

PS: If you are trying em2wl you must do their reset and you will gain weight during it most likely
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost and how fast have you lost it ?
    How many extra calories have you started to consume ? If you were loosing a lb a week and eat another 1000 cals per day you will gain 1 lb per week etc.
  • wboswell88
    wboswell88 Posts: 31
    Options
    i should have clarified, i started eating up to what mfp set for me. i was told i needed to do that. i was taking in like around 1200-1400, but its set for like 1600. plus with my workouts i was netting low like 800-1000 cals a day. not a huge increase but an increase nonetheless. i havent lost very fast at all. ive lost 6 pounds and this has been over months with lots of plateaus. i have hypothyroidism so weight loss is a struggle for me anyway.
  • wboswell88
    Options
    im not sure what em2wl is?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    EM2WL | Eat More 2 Weigh Less - no idea what this means though lol

Regarding the weight I don't really have an idea. as a rough guess When we loose weight we loose energy stores in our muscle which also contains a lot of water. It could be that you are starting to replenish these. I'm not sure what hypothyroidism would do though. It may be worth speaking to your medical adviser and explain what you are doing. It may be that they can modify your medication to help you out a little :-). good luck. I'm sure if you persist you will get there but I bet it is going to take a lot of learning before hand :-)
  • littlechuck99
    littlechuck99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First thing's first: It's ok! It's not that you are doing anything wrong. Muscle is a lot more dense than fat is, which is why your measurements have not really changed but the weight has gone up a little. The truth is, your body has to build muscle first in order to be able to burn fat more efficiently. So while you may gain a few pounds in the beginning, your body will find an optimal balance as you keep going. Then it will start to switch gears and the fat cells will begin to shrink. The reason MFP wants you to eat more is based on your body being like a machine. The more work you put it through, the more fuel it is going to need to keep up. The main issue with eating more is QUALITY foods and quantity. Try to spread your food into about 5-6 meals a day, with your heaviest meals being in the middle of the day. Sounds weird, but it works to keep your metabolism burning hotter, longer. Keep working and stay focused and you will see the change soon enough. Hope this helps!
  • wboswell88
    Options
    ok thanks very much guys! i guess I'm on the right path just need to be patient. I feel like my food quality is pretty good. i try not to deprive myself too much, but still keep a good balance. I have my diary open if anybody wants to take a look. I usually do great during the week, but have more trouble on the weekend. I actually have an appt tomorrow with my endocronologist so maybe i can talk to her about what I'm doing and if its right for me.