low carbers

Options
I've decided to go low carb for a bit, for my own reasons. Not so much for the weight loss aspect. Other reasons.

I'm having trouble doing low carb while maintaining my calorie goal. I'm falling under pretty bad. Just wondering if any low carbers could give me an idea of the things they eat, and help me with my grocery list.

It's looking like I may need to add more meat into my diet.

And yes I know carbs are not the enemy, that's not why I'm doing this, so please don't reply with how they aren't the enemy and yaddy yadda, I'm not asking what you think of low carb diets, I'm asking people that are already doing low carb for their input.

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Are you talking Atkins low or just reducing your carb intake? If I have trouble meeting my calories at the end of the day, I'll have some peanut butter and/or a low carb protein bar.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I'm just starting a low carb diet myself, so I am also interested in the input.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Are you talking Atkins low or just reducing your carb intake? If I have trouble meeting my calories at the end of the day, I'll have some peanut butter and/or a low carb protein bar.

I don't follow atkins. Just reducing carbs in general. I have an idea of how many I'd like to be under in a day.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Any kind of nut or nut butter will add a lot of calories. I really like Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter), but since I don't have any trouble maintaining my calories, I don't eat it that often. 200 calories per serving. :)

Saute vegetables in oil.

Meat, obviously. Cheese. Vegetables with cheese. Fake cheese can work, too.
  • fatfighter1979
    fatfighter1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have done low carbs in the past my diet consisted of chicken salads tuna salads omlettes and veg and nuts thats pretty much it in a nut shell x
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    best bet: increase healthy fats & protein. If you can find Kalona Supernatural they make a grass fed heavy cream that's really yummy. I always add it to my morning smoothie. It packs on an extra 400 cals, and keeps me full a loooooong time. Avocados, coconut, and cheese are good options too. Feel free to check out my diary. I try to stay at 50g carbs or less, mainly b/c it helps me control my diabetes
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I do low carb. What is your calorie intake goal each day? Mine is at 1200....small framed short gal:) And I just eat alot of salads, fruits, veggies, with lots of cheese, sour cream and of course lean meats:) really depends on how low your taking them. Feel free to look at my diary if you like to get some ideas!:) Eggs, cheese and turkey bacon, turkey sausage are my usual breakfasts, for snacks you can do string cheese, fruits, PB, nuts, stuff like that:)

~Carrie~
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well, this is where I am right now:

I started Atkins induction on Tuesday. Today is Day 6 of Induction. Days 2 and 3 were the hardest, I felt tired and had mild headaches. Those symptoms have resolved, and I now feel pretty fantastic :) I am following the Atkins Phase 1 rules closely, counting my net carbs, and eating lots of green vegetables (for me, mostly romaine lettuce and broccoli - I just don't like vegetables, so this is a huge step for me!).

I embarked on this as kind of an experiment. So far, it is going well. I have nothing against low-carb eating at this point. I do believe it has to be done correctly, if you're going for actual ketosis and all the fat-burning stuff, but regardless, I feel good overall :-)

Drinking "clear soup" is one of the recommended remedies for not feeling too good when you first start low-carb. I think I only had to do it for one day. I use an organic chicken broth (NOT the low-sodium kind, you want the sodium here) and drink about 1/2 cup when I felt tired.

That's my experience so far.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I do low carb. What is your calorie intake goal each day? Mine is at 1200....small framed short gal:) And I just eat alot of salads, fruits, veggies, with lots of cheese, sour cream and of course lean meats:) really depends on how low your taking them. Feel free to look at my diary if you like to get some ideas!:) Eggs, cheese and turkey bacon, turkey sausage are my usual breakfasts, for snacks you can do string cheese, fruits, PB, nuts, stuff like that:)

~Carrie~

Mine is at 1200 also. I felt really short of that yesterday. I wasn't hungry at all, but I don't like to be as low as I was. Today seems to be falling short also. Part of that is because I have no food in the house LOL. It's grocery shopping time so I'm also looking for low carb stuff to add to my list.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    When I carb cycle, I aim for 65 grams of carbs on my low carb days. I consume my carbs in the morning. I start out with egg whites, a slice of ezekial bread and natural peanut butter. After working out, I'll have homemade low carb protein bars. The rest of the day, my carbs come from vegetables. For the rest of my meals I'll have about 6 oz of lean protein per meal with a side of green beans, brussels sprouts, or broccoli. I also increase healthy fats at this time and add avocado and olive oil to some of my meals. This way, I usually end up having 65 carbs, about 170 grams of protein and about 35 grams of healthy fats.