I need help...badly.

Options
Recently, I have added friends. They are wonderful motivation and supporters. I have just been finding it hard to be motivated. I haven't lost any weight in the past week or more because I have been eating horribly. I am gonna go to the store after I get off of work to get some fresh fruits and veggies. I want to start a thing where that if it isn't fresh, out of the ground, or from a tree, I don't really want to eat it. I want to live off the land. Well, minus a few things, hehe.

Comments would be wonderful. And I would love to add more people to see how great everyone is doing and to support as well. I just need some help. I want to do this. I am just lacking the willpower and motivation. I need help... :ohwell:

Thank you for reading.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i just force myself. once i start feeling good, i no longer have to force myself, and i just want to do it.
  • zzzkitty
    zzzkitty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP last week, and before joining I had the same problem with motivation. I have dieted so many times, it just seemed impossible. I just couldn't get started, and considered several options, but then my daughter sent me an invite to MFP. I am so happy with MFP because it is easy to keep track of everything. My motivation is now high, and I think it comes from several sources. (I lost 3.5 pounds this first week.) First, I have spent a lot of time on the site, customizing the options, which keeps me focused on the goal. I put in measurements for arm, bust, and everything else I could think of, so that I can see small changes in body shape (lost 1/4 inch on upper arms this week.) Any positive feedback is great! Just spending time on the site helped, too.

I also was looking around for a way to reward myself, and figured that I can spend the money that I would spend on weightwatchers on myself. I found some cool trollbeads (which are more money that I would normally spend on myself) and made out a schedule for how much weight I have to lose to get each one, as they are sold separately. (Got to lose 10 pounds to get the bracelet to put them on first.) I think that I am more excited about this than other rewards that I have used in the past, because I can collect them like trophies and wear it to remind myself of my success. Look for something that you really want!

Hope these suggestions help as I certainly felt similarly last week. You can do it!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Im really getting into eating fruit. I wonder how I ever ate ding dogs and other crap when i could have been eating fruit. I have to buy fruit like 3/4 times a week, but it's worth it...because even if they it's the same carbs or calories as some sugary junk food, I know they are better calories.
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to add me :)
  • rlee3787
    rlee3787 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to ease into it. Having a self-sustaining plant based diet is ideal, but is it currently realistic? Doing a total revamp of a diet and routine over night takes a lot out of you. Maybe take a step back, breath, relax and take it one step at a time. Remind yourself that this is something you are capable of doing, and that there is no need to stress. Take it slow. Add veggies to every meal. Then the next week cut down your added sugar intake to 30 grams or less daily. By continuing that way you will be making serious changes in your life, without the added discomfort. I hope that helps!
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I know that it can be tough. You can do this and you are worth it! I found that the first couple months are the hardest, but over time it will get so much easier. I am with you on living off the land....that is my dream. Feel free to add me. I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.
  • modelesque
    Options
    Hey it's fine to pig out sometimes, I'm trying to stay healthy and sometimes I do binge, and I feel terrible. So I take a drink bottle and go for a walk, it clears my head and makes me feel good. The next day I'm back on track, I'm not letting anyone down but myself which motivates me. The sooner I get back on track the sooner I lose the weight, sometimes you may feel TERRIBLE but just imagine how your going to look. Hope this kind of helps :)
  • greeniam
    greeniam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You guys are wonderful! =] Thank you for all of your help and support! And I really like the suggestions!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, you have to really want it. No one can truly motivate yourself but you. You can add a billion supportive mfp friends, but in the end, if you don't want to do it, you won't. So you just have to force yourself. After you start losing weight, that will help fuel your motivation. But until then, think of what you want to be and do it.
  • bellabijou
    bellabijou Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know it can be really tough, motivation is my biggest issue anytime I have tried to lose weight in my entire life. This time round I have tried setting myself small weekly goals to work towards, and help my feel like I am making small accomplishments each week, even if the scale doesn't blow my mind :-)

This weeks goal is no Pop/Soda ( even no diet soda). So far I am on day 5 of the week, and amazed I got through work the last few days with out my daily diet coke! I haven't felt bloated once, haven't had any headaches, have slept better and generally feel more motivated knowing I am only a couple days away from reaching a goal of mine.
    Not sure what next weeks goal is going to be - maybe an extra serving of veggies everyday, or make time for a walk every day.
  • mc5daisies
    mc5daisies Posts: 14
    Options
    you can add me ... :)
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have become a logging junky. The game is to stay below my target amount of calories. I log EVERYTHING. It's fun if you make it that way :) Make sure to keep busy too. I'm always running around doing something. I'm scared for when winter comes and I'm cooped up inside :S
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Right, friends can only do so much.
    They can encourage and offer support but won't hold you down and sew your mouth shut.
    Seriously, it's all on you.
    True motivation is all internal.
    We either have that drive or need to find a way to ignite it.

To light that fire, be honest, and answer for yourself:
    Why do I want to be healthy and fit? Discover the real answer, and attach great pleasure to that as you set your goals.
    Feel and experience that joy when you think of being healthy and fit.

And then ask yourself why do you NOT want to be fat?
    Connect with that reason burning pain that you can really feel every time you think about being fat.

This is the key to internal motivation.
    Few people can actually do this which is why most people fail in their efforts over and over.
    Take the time to do this, and you'll touch off a powder keg of determination and drive.
    Sure, you may have challenges; we all do, but you'll keep punching and reach your goals.

All Is Possible!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I really try to limit the opportunities for making bad choices. This way even if I am not 100 percent on my resolve, I still stay on track most of the time. Thanks to this philosophy my kids are eating better too, fewer treats are available in my house and we don't go whole-hog when we do get ice cream or something. The new standard is across the board and everyone is adjusting.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    To reiterate what has already been said, first of all, you have to really, really want to make the change. It can't be a half-hearted hope that maybe you can do it. Some people have to be practically struck by lightning to make the commitment: suffer a major health problem, grow out of every last piece of clothing in the closet, feel awful at the slightest exertion. Whatever bottoms you out.

For me, it was important to clear the house of everything I was not planning to make part of my new food plan. Then I had to prepare things in advance for those times that I needed a food fix. I also want to eat mainly food that either comes from the ground or had a parent. But sometimes those require preparation that in the heat of the moment, I won't do. So I cut up bins of watermelon, roast veggies that can easily be reheated in seconds, make bags of air-popped popcorn, pre-bag serving sizes of things in snack bags so I don't mis-measure later.

And I also make a game of it. What kinds of yummy things can I create today that stay under my calorie goal? How many different foods can I eat and stay under my calorie goal? I take note of my nutrients and pay close attention to the fact that I feel a whole lot better than I did a month ago.

And finally, I get on with my life and try not to make food and especially appearance an obsession. I focus on my career, my hobbies, my relationships, my home and take it on faith that even though I'm not going to lose 20 pounds a month, that every day, I'm doing what's good for me.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Regroup, refocus, pick yourself back up, and get on with it. You will have to regroup many times in your journey...it's part of making changes! You will run into things which seem to stop you...they are simply the old boundaries you had when you were doing things your old way. Tear down the old boundaries and get your good food and good exercise going. You can do it! Don't overdo every little detail and then get stuck on them...just do the right things you know you can do right now.
  • Kalola11
    Kalola11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here's something I came up with and it's helpful and true (at least for me).

I've noticed that when I do four things, I lose weight. I decided to make an acronym.

P.E.N.T.

P is for PLAN my meals
    E is for EXERCISE
    N is for saying "NO" to things.
    T is for TRACKING.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I go through ups and downs with eating and motivation too. I had a bad week last week with eating, so I have made a goal for this week to not eat after 9pm (I tend to binge eat at night). Also, I am doing my best to get 5 servings of fruits and veges per day even if it means I go over on my calories. I just started doing the Insanity workout, and seeing the results people just like me have been able to achieve, it has given me some extra motivation! I also bought some clothes that were a size too small, and that helps motivate me to fit into them; they are sooooo cute! Remember, NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS! Just forget about the past and focus on the now. There's nothing you can do to erase bad food choices you've already made, and beating yourself up for lack of exercise is counterproductive. TODAY is when you make a choice to exercise and eat right. Do your best, and remember the future is NOW! If you make more good choices then bad, then you are a SUCCESS!! Good luck to you :)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on losing weight, focus on your health. Thinking about what I COULD do with my future if I recover is what gets me through the difficult times. I want to do so many things with my life, I want to own my own nursery and run a charity too but I can't do that if I'm ill. I'm not saying you are, nor am I trying to patronise you so I hope you don't think that but when you feel unmotivated, think about the good things you are doing for your body(providing your eating enough). Focus on your health, eat a good balanced diet and I believe the rest will fall into place. You're strong, you've got this xxx
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    feel free to add me im on here daily, eat a fairly healthy diet and exercise most days, Im always willing to offer support and motivation, good luck on your weight loss/fitness journey, stay positive and keep smiling!! :smile: