Green Smoothies

Options
AegyooSasoou
AegyooSasoou Posts: 23 Member
Hi everyone, i wanted to add green smoothies to my diet (fruit/veggie combos). Has anyone tried these? And do they help with weight management? And what are some of your favortie recipes? (I do not like the taste of veggies that much) Thanks

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Why only green? There are loads of varieties that are tasty and give you a feel-good boost! Google Mr Juice or something like that - there's a guy who basically lives on smoothies and juices and has done books on 'em. Plenty of recipes.

I just had mixed berries, water, milk and aloe vera juice in a protein shake after my workout :drinker:
  • leserpent
    leserpent Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1/2 avocado
    1 cup spinach
    1 tbsp agave nectar

blend and serve!

you can also add kale, nectarines, etc... i've been drinking this in the morning. soo delicious ^o^
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was doing them for a few months. I'm a gainer, so they actually got in the way of me getting enough calories - I switched to banana-based fruit smoothies instead and just have the greens as salads. However, for one who is trying to lose or maintain, they would be great for weight management! Green veggies make you feel full without adding many calories, and they come packed with many necessary nutrients.

I'm not sure on the fruits because I never added fruit to mine - just couldn't find fruit that combined well with all the greens.

Great things to add to green smoothies:

Celery (lots of fiber, filling, very low calorie)
    Dandelion greens (just a tiny bit because they're bitter, good for the liver and digestive system though)
    Spinach
    Hemp protein powder (fiber, protein)
    Flaxseed (fiber, omega 3's)
    Liquid Stevia (to sweeten)
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking them a few weeks now, and I love them. 1 cup milk, sprinkle of chia seeds, 2 handfuls of spinach, a frozen banana. Sometimes it's called a green monster. You don't taste the spinach!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Visit http://greenmonstermovement.com! Tons of good recipes. The website owner, Angela Liddon, has some more recipes on her other website as well (ohsheglows.com).
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies & make one everyday, however, I do not use milk. I like to try & keep the integrity of the fruit & veggies so I only use water! Read a book called Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko and it gives a lot of insight on this!

Here are some recipes.
    http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes

My new favorite is spinach, apples and cilantro blended with water. The cilantro makes it taste fresh! I love it!
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i make mine with water but do use coconut milk at times
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have made homemade ones in past but not really for weight loss- I used pineapple juice frozen berries banana and spinach, blend it all up and drink. I didn't say amounts cause I didn't measure I just threw stuff in.

yesterday i just bought Nature's Plus fruitein high protein energy shake revitalizing green foods- it is yummy and easier to make just blend with water. it is vegetarian and has fruits and veggies and green foods. I got mine at GNC.
  • linderlou25
    Options
    bump green smoothies
  • kreader625
    Options
    I have a green smoothie every morning before my workout. I do 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, two handfuls of baby spinach, a banana and whatever other fruit I feel like having. they are delicious and so good for you. my favorite one right now is mango and banana. one whole banana and about 1/3 of a mango. blend the spinach with the almond milk first so you dont have any larger bits of spinach then add in the other fruits. I just order iso natural protein and will be adding that to my smoothies as well as chia seeds. the iso natural doesnt have any added sugar or flavoring.
  • adrrianna
    adrrianna Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a green smoothie every morning before school! They are so easy & convenient. I include; red seedless grapes, an apple (core and all), a whole pear, broccoli, sage, parsley, an orange and pineapple and cabbage! SOOOOO GOOD :)
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    BUMP

:flowerforyou:
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk, banana, protein powder, ice and a big handful of greens-blend til smooth. You dont taste the greens, and they make it a lot more filling :)
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just had my first one today and it was simple.

3/4 cup unsweentened almond milk (or similar)
    1/2 cup non fat greek yogurt
    1 TBS. Chocolate PB@ (doesn't have to be chocolate)
    2 C fresh spinach
    small frozen banana

It was great! I was honestly surprised!
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1/2 cucumber, peeled
    handful of kale
    handful of parsley
    some mint leaves
    juice of one lemon
    some fresh ginger
    some fresh raw beet, peeled
    some water
    a few ice cubes
    one scoop unflavored, unsweetened protein powder

Delicious!
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love them. Great for loss too as a meal replacement! I hate bananas in mine though :)