HELP!! I'm discouraged and really impatient

Options
Hey ya'll....

So I've lost 23lbs since May 1, 2012 which is about 10lbs a month that i've been loosing :) I have completely changed my diet and exercise and i LOVE LOVE LOVE my new lifestyle! I've been inspiring my family and friends as well which makes me feel so incredible. Well, as of July 1st, I have gained two lbs and have not lost since then, So with today being the 14th, I've been steady at this weight for 2 weeks. I'm happy i'm not gaining but i've very discouraging seeing the number unchanged each time I weigh in.....Is this a plateau or am I expecting too much too quick and need to be more patient? It's so discouraging and I'm finding myself not as strong minded about this as I was a few weeks ago when I was steadily Loosing...

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Same boat with you, lost 25 but started P90x so been gaining a lot of muscle so been stuck for 2 weeks now but I keep telling myself Rome wasn't built in a day. I say go with measurements and see if there is lose there, also don't get stuck looking at the number on the scale ( it can be daunting) as long as you are doing your best and sticking too it results will show up :)
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Try to stay strong and keep doing what you're doing. Everything I have read about plateaus, suggests switching things up to help break them.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Congrats on losing such a big number so fast ;-)

You can expect to reach a halt at a certain point due to water weight etc. It is always so hard to try help without seeing a diary?
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You need to take regular measurements to go along with the weighing. Muscle is heavier than fat so although your weight may not change your dress size may well be. So don't be discouraged. And well done all.
  • JeffInBuckeyeNation
    JeffInBuckeyeNation Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was there, too. I have been stuck twice...once in the 20-30 pound loss area, and once at 54 pounds.

It happens, you get stuck.

My most recent breakthrough came about because I stepped it up a bit in the exercise and general sweating department. I started running for longer periods of time, a little longer distance, etc. Also, I went to two outdoor concerts on back-to-back nights (Jane's Addiction and Weezer), and the sweat from being in the crowd helped a lot.

I dropped 5 pounds in the last eight days and am back on pace again.

Basically, you changed your life to drop the first set of poundage...you might need to step it up a little notch to push through again. Only a small change will get you over that hump, trust me.

Also, one key I learned early on....just because MFP says you have extra calories because you exercised, don't eat beyond your normal day's goal. If you are supposed to eat 1,500 calories, stay at that amount, even if you earn another 800 through exercise.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    If you're over reaching in a crash diet, expect results to stop as your metabolism is stifled.
    This is very common.
    Just make sure you're following MFP recommendations for safe, lasting and healthy weight loss.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.
    Good Luck!
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You have to learn to develop patience or you will never get through to your goals. Patience is probably the biggest virtue to have when losing weight anyways. Because it certainly isn't going to happen overnight. Just remember that. Because if it did, everyone else would be doing it.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    i lost really fast at first too, and then much slower. i upped my calories for a few weeks - didn't lose during that time, but when i dropped them again the weight started coming off again. change up your calories or your exercise and see if that helps.

as for the discouragement, all i can say is i hear you. i'm in this for the long haul and sometimes it seems SO SLOW and i want it now, now, now! but i keep reminding myself i'm in it for the long haul and that's just how it's going to be. *sigh*
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up! My scale went up 2 and down 2 for a time, and then didn't move for a whole month. After 2 weeks in a row of no loss, I skipped a week so as to not let the scale affect me negatively. Suddenly, yesterday, I had a 4 pound loss. So, just keep your focus on your goal & keep going in that direction! :)
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    You need to take regular measurements to go along with the weighing. Muscle is heavier than fat so although your weight may not change your dress size may well be. So don't be discouraged. And well done all.
    [/quote

While your sentiments are really encouraging and it is nice for you to comment on the OP`s post muscle does not weigh heavier than fat honey!

A 1lb of at is the same as 1lb of muscle fat takes up more space in the body, muscle takes up less. (short version)

But I applaud you for encouraging the OP ;-)
  • atlanticgypsy
    atlanticgypsy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    speaking from experience! i just came off a 3 weeks plateau! don't be discouraged or stressed (that won't help your body give up those pounds). Make sure you're on track with your healthy eating, mix things up with your training.....I took a couple yoga classes. If you are training hard be sure you are eating enough protein. Drink lots of water, get enough sleep (7-8hrs)....and here is an article that I found helpful....

http://paleoweightlosscoach.com/3250/weight-loss-plateaus/

but the biggest thing is patience. My trainer said that plateaus can last anywhere from a couple weeks to 6months. I was terrified when I heard that! But I really had to let go....and remind myself that I was going to do this anyway....no matter how long it takes...and I would be doing the same things (i.e. eating healthy and cross training) anyway. time is time. might as well do the right thing while it passes no matter what. If you stay on track your body will eventually get re-balanced and you'll see a nice drop! And hopefully it will be much MUCH sooner than 6months! maybe next week!! Stick with it! Don't be discouraged. Stay focused and relaxed. You can do this! You are powerful!!!

18304147.png[/url]
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I was there, too. I have been stuck twice...once in the 20-30 pound loss area, and once at 54 pounds.

It happens, you get stuck.

My most recent breakthrough came about because I stepped it up a bit in the exercise and general sweating department. I started running for longer periods of time, a little longer distance, etc. Also, I went to two outdoor concerts on back-to-back nights (Jane's Addiction and Weezer), and the sweat from being in the crowd helped a lot.

I dropped 5 pounds in the last eight days and am back on pace again.

Basically, you changed your life to drop the first set of poundage...you might need to step it up a little notch to push through again. Only a small change will get you over that hump, trust me.

Also, one key I learned early on....just because MFP says you have extra calories because you exercised, don't eat beyond your normal day's goal. If you are supposed to eat 1,500 calories, stay at that amount, even if you earn another 800 through exercise.

Jane's addiction and Weezer are fccking Awesome!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You started with 75 pounds to lose, now you only have about 50 to go... which means that if you started with a weekly goal of 2 pounds a week, it might be time to shift it to a weekly goal of 1.5 pounds a week, or even 1 pound a week. You might have more of a calorie deficit than your current weight and body fat can support, which can make the body do funny things.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    chill out, you'll be fine. There's all kinds of adjustments you can make and do to kick out of a plateau. just search the mfp threads and you'll find some answers. you can adjust how you're eating, when, type foods, your workouts etc etc.. usually the first months the weight just melts off then you have to pay way more attention and get more precise with your tracking and routines.

good luck
  • curthopkins
    curthopkins Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had two instances in which I bumped UP two pounds. The first time I thought, "What's the use?" Then, when I weighed a couple of days later, I had LOST two pounds. This has happened once since then. I imagine it will happen again. We're like professional card players. The "gambler" counts success as being UP at the time and loss as being DOWN. But a pro looks at the ENTIRE gain/loss over time. We have to have the long view. Never apologize for ruling.
  • Breanne074
    Options
    Do you do strict paleo all the time or do you kind of add to it? to the girl that had the paleo website post! Sorry dont remember her name
  • rackie515
    rackie515 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Being discourage will only set you back. You Love your new lifestyle, and the way you're eating. Don't give up, like anything else thier can be a few bumps in the road. My suggestion would be don't step on the scale for two weeks, jump start yourself once again, maybe by doing 10 extra minutes of cardio a day, and getting back to the basics, like when you first started, kind of being strict again for a little bit. You will be amazed that in two weeks you will be right bwck on track, and feel better again!! Good luck
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're expecting too much too quick. If you've indeed changed your lifestyle, which you say you've done, it will be with you for your lifetime. Be patient and live healthy. Your physique will follow from that in due time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau. Water weight, especially with women can really impact the scale. You need to look at it in at least 4 weekly increments.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you get really stuck I would highly recommend trying Intermittent Fasting. I was having the same problem when doing the standard diet/5 small meals a day etc. Since doing IF in just a week lost 2.5% bodyfat and can notice a diffrence in just a week so I am liking this alot.

I read about it at www.leangains.com

Good luck