Protein Bars - need some help

Options
80zgrl
80zgrl Posts: 16 Member
I just joined a gym and need to eat something at least an hour before I leave work so I won't be so hungry and to tie me over until I can go home and eat something light. One of my co-workers told me I should eat a protein bar and drink some water. I went to the store and they have so many to choose from. Since they all vary I'm not sure which one to get. High in protein? Low in carbs? Low in sugar? It would be really nice if I could get one that tasted good and not like cardboard, LOL. I could sure use some help in this area. Any suggestions?

Replies

• codercarol
    codercarol Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Prue Protein from Costco aren't too bad. The one's that taste really good are usually not that good for dieting, too much sugar or fat. In general protein bars aren't very good for dieting, but work well if traveling.:smile:
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    http://www.kindsnacks.com/kind-nut-delight.html

https://www.bakeryonmain.com/Products/Store/tabid/135/categoryid/7/truebar/Default.aspx?categoryid=7

http://www.questproteinbar.com/

first one is one my wife really likes, the second and third are 2 i found i like. All seem to be pretty healthy for you

I used to eat cliff bars and liked them but they were to high in sugar for me

alot of it is trial and error on your taste buds and you have to decide what you want out of it.

I prefer quest for the low sugar decent carbs and high protein
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I like ProMax and Tiger's Milk protein bars. Both have about 20-30 grams of protein, with vitamins and minerals added. They are made to taste decent, so they do contain carbs and sugar. It all depends on what your macros are.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Eat Good, Look Great, Pure Protein. I get these because they have about 18-20gms of protein and fewer calories than other protein bars.
  • Brunchstress
    Options
    KIND BARS! Fantastic tasting and low in sodium, which causes bloating! :)

I love the Cherry Dark Chocolate Cashew and the Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate. I don't know if you have access to Kroger, but they are having a sale on their bars for $.49 each if you buy 10. They're normally in the $1.50 to $2 each range!
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I love the Cherry Dark Chocolate Cashew and the Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate. I don't know if you have access to Kroger, but they are having a sale on their bars for $.49 each if you buy 10. They're normally in the $1.50 to $2 each range!

Thank you for this info I will make sure my wife knows i found them 10/10 at sprouts lol and my wife is in love with them
  • nantobe
    nantobe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Kind bars, i like the dark chocolate with peanut butter, lots of natural ingredients. Another bar i really like is Zone double dark chocolate, they are also very good. I have tried many and most taste like crap. These Kind have 7 grams protein and the Zone have 12 grams protein, give them a try. Most places you can buy individual bars, enjoy!
  • Brunchstress
    Options

Thank you for this info I will make sure my wife knows i found them 10/10 at sprouts lol and my wife is in love with them

YOU'RE WELCOME! I bought 30 and I'm probably going back for more.... hope they're still on sale! :)
  • 80zgrl
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice. I went to Fry's (Kroger brands) and the KIND bars were on sale. What an awesome deal. I can hardly wait to try them.
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition's Whey Crisp Bar!

I got the marshmallow treat and tastes just like a rice krispy treat!

Nutrition Info: 250 Calories 25 Calories from fat
    2.5g of fat
    75mg sodium
    34g Carbs
    7g sugar
    26g of protein

Super awesome, I love to have these just before my work out!
  • 80zgrl
    Options
    These sound wonderful. I love rice krispy treats. Thank you.
  • 80zgrl
    Options
    Thank you that information was really helpful.
  • xerotolerance
    Options
    Power Crunch has been my favorite lately :)
    http://www.powercrunch.com/