Fat Loss Supplements

Options
Hi all, what's the craic? I'm new to the forums and decided I'd get into the whole message board thing.

I recently purchased a box of Perfect Fat Loss dietary pills. I haven't opened them yet and they're just sitting on the counter like a stalking butler, but I'm looking for opinions on dietary supplements in general and any experience stories if possible! I know people may think that I'm cheating by taking these or whatever, but take note that I spend an hour and over in the gym everyday and keep my diet in check. I'm just looking for that little extra boost that'll help me reach my target that much faster.

So yeah, OPINIONS! Please and thank you :)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Looking over the ingredient profile, it looks pretty craptastic. If it cost more than $10 or so, you got ripped off
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with them. I've changed my lifestyle as opposed to dieting. I've opted not to add anything that isn't healthy and sustainable in the long run.

Look at it this way- if it were as simple as an over the counter pill, nobody would be fat. ;)
  • DaleMurphy
    DaleMurphy Posts: 24
    Options
    Yeah I'd consider myself ripped off. But hey, ain't nothin' for free in this world. Thanks for the reply.
  • DaleMurphy
    Options
    Yeah I get where you're coming from about the over the counter thing, but it's not like I'm just popping these pills then watching TV all day ha Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are just caffeine pills, so know that going in.
    Some contain acai berry, algae, gava root and a host of other exotic sounding ingredients, but the one thing they all have in common is lots and lots of caffeine.
    What a coincidence!:laugh:
    Here's the real deal. There are no shortcuts. There is no magic pill. If you take caffeine, you'll see some results until your body down regulates the effects, and then you must increase the dosage. And on and on...
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    And feel free to try it for yourself. Maybe your experience will be different.
    Good Luck :drinker:
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Some people like lipo6. I used it with powder after my pregnancy in 2009 and it took me to the next level and got me out of a plateau. Maybe something with cla in it that you can pump into your body extra. i know CLA is found in food but an extra boost could help. It depends on what you are comfortable doing or want really. Some people opt not to take anything and do all natural some don't.
  • DaleMurphy
    Options
    Ha yep I knew all that when I was buying them, but the illusion of short term satisfaction is a terrible dimmer of logic :P Don't worry you're not the bearer of bad news, more the bringer of rationality. I'm having second thoughts about them anyway, the more research I do regarding them, the more the costs seem to outweigh the benefits :/

Anyway, thanks for your opinion :)
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are just caffeine pills, so know that going in.
    Some contain acai berry, algae, gava root and a host of other exotic sounding ingredients, but the one thing they all have in common is lots and lots of caffeine.
    What a coincidence!:laugh:
    Here's the real deal. There are no shortcuts. There is no magic pill. If you take caffeine, you'll see some results until your body down regulates the effects, and then you must increase the dosage. And on and on...
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    And feel free to try it for yourself. Maybe your experience will be different.
    Good Luck :drinker:

I agree with this. However, you purchased them you may want to try and make your own conclusion. OR return them, you might get a refund.

I got a free sample of one of these supplements, I got so scared by reading the ingredients, they are still sitting on my counter. Just recently someone on my MFP list started inputting them in her diary so I asked her about them- and she said it was what she needed to give her a boost.

Everyone has there own way to reach there goals, and you just have to figure out yours... :D
  • DaleMurphy
    Options
    Yeah plateau seems to be the word of the day lately cos it's happening to me too...mhmm they'll definitely pump you up and give you extra energy for a harder workout, but terms like "palpatations" "heart attack" "blood pressure" "stroke"...when they're floating around every forum I go to, the whole extra energy kind of seems really overshadowed ha

Thanks for the reply.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I took the original Ripped Fuel years ago in addition to working out hard and saw good results. Diet and exercise are key to fat loss. There isn't a "magic pill" for long term success.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd consider myself ripped off. But hey, ain't nothin' for free in this world. Thanks for the reply.

Except for MFP of course. Best diet supplement I have found :smile:
  • DaleMurphy
    Options
    Yeah I get you...it wasn't so much the ingredients than the side effects that's freaking me out. I knew when I was buying them that they're borderline illegal and basically just a media-hyped, thinly veiled amphetamine. I might give them a go for a week or so or I might get a refund...the latter's kind of looking more probable now ha

Thanks for the advice!
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    I take Beast Sport Nutrition’s 2Shredded, its sale pitch is "fat loss" but I use it for the appetite suppression and the diuretic qualities; it works great for those! It sure has been a helper but above all you have to exercise and eat right to lose fat. I exercise like no other, but it’s nice to curb the appetite and keep the water flowing.
  • tracystire
    tracystire Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use the ACE dietary supplement. It helps me with the reason why I gained most of my weight in the first place - overeating and energy issues. It controls my appetite and reduces the cravings for the sweets and Pepsi (I am a former addict)!! It has SOME caffeine in it but not as much as what I was drinking in a day before I started with it. ACE has also helped with my overall health and because I saw results within the first week, I have made an effort to change my eating habits - largely because I just don't want the sugary stuff anymore. I will probably continue to take it after I have reached my weight loss goal - just not as often - for the energy boost!!! It is not a magic pill but if you are working it with a changed attitude towards your health - it is a easy and inexpensive way to get you up and running to your weightloss goals but don't expect it to do ALL the work - you still gotta get some exercise!! If you want to know more about it, add me as a friend and message me for more info.
  • DaleMurphy
    Options
    Well hey, Jack wouldn't have gotten up to the sky without a few magic beans along the way. I'm using them as an aid to an already tedious workout, not just taking them and stuffing my face watching daytime TV. If I wanted to get to my goal without the hard work, I'd just get liposuction. (That's hypothetical seeing as I'm broke.)
  • DaleMurphy
    Options
    I take Beast Sport Nutrition’s 2Shredded, its sale pitch is "fat loss" but I use it for the appetite suppression and the diuretic qualities; it works great for those! It sure has been a helper but above all you have to exercise and eat right to lose fat. I exercise like no other, but it’s nice to curb the appetite and keep the water flowing.

Ah I see, never knew they were an anti-diuretic! Yeah the appetite supression's definitely another pull factor...I kind of want to try intermittent fasting too, but I'm stuck between the two. Thanks for the reply :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    If they actually worked, this forum would be a desolate and lonely place.
  • DaleMurphy
    Options
    I use the ACE dietary supplement. It helps me with the reason why I gained most of my weight in the first place - overeating and energy issues. It controls my appetite and reduces the cravings for the sweets and Pepsi (I am a former addict)!! It has SOME caffeine in it but not as much as what I was drinking in a day before I started with it. ACE has also helped with my overall health and because I saw results within the first week, I have made an effort to change my eating habits - largely because I just don't want the sugary stuff anymore. I will probably continue to take it after I have reached my weight loss goal - just not as often - for the energy boost!!! It is not a magic pill but if you are working it with a changed attitude towards your health - it is a easy and inexpensive way to get you up and running to your weightloss goals but don't expect it to do ALL the work - you still gotta get some exercise!! If you want to know more about it, add me as a friend and message me for more info.

I'm not sure the exact amount of caffeine that these things contain though :/ I don't usually have any trouble with energy but a bit more wouldn't go astray ha They've apparently had some serious side-effects on people who hadn't noticed a huge change in their health though which is worrying. Thanks for your input :)
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yeah plateau seems to be the word of the day lately cos it's happening to me too...mhmm they'll definitely pump you up and give you extra energy for a harder workout, but terms like "palpatations" "heart attack" "blood pressure" "stroke"...when they're floating around every forum I go to, the whole extra energy kind of seems really overshadowed ha

Thanks for the reply.

Its all in moderation and you take it short term. if you read the warnings on the shots you give your kids or 1/2 the stuff out there they all say the same warnings. Even things that are considered good for you could have bad side effects if taken long term or at all. Its all on what you are comfortable doing and how your body responds. My husband took it too and did very well. I took 1/3 of the dose with CLA meaning 1 pill instead of 3 a day and it just did the trick to drop those last 2% body fat i needed. Even 2/3 of the daily dose was too much so I staid at 1. I only took it for a little over a month and I was done. It does get your body pumping though. Have you tried maybe protein powder instead? That might be something to look into. Just a thought. Anything different then what you are doing now to kick your body out of the routine would be good. But it has to be right for you. You know your body best. I too have been plateauing because i have been sticking with the same type of exercises. Switching it up and bought p90x on craigslist for 60.00. Hoping that change and adding powder in will help. If that doesn't do anything then I will be hitting the CLA up again... I am saving that in case I have another plateau since it works really well on me. :)
  • DaleMurphy
    Options
    If they actually worked, this forum would be a desolate and lonely place.

Hmm not really considering a majority of people's inability to lose weight in purely psychological and due to complete laziness. I hear ya though, the "magic pill" theory's ringing in my ears. Thanks for the reply.