Fat,Sick and Nearly Dead

Options
what are your thoughts about a juice fast like what they did in the documentary? anyone out here try it at all?

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Just say no to fasting!

LOL

Seriously, I haven't watched the documentary or done this juice fasting thing. Sorry :( I've been told many times to watch the documentary.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I think juice fasting only works if you commit to a very specific kind of diet afterwards, which this gentleman did. Essentially he went from drinking liquified fruits and veg to eating solid fruits and veg - his nutrition was the same, the form it took was different. The documentary is really good and profiles peoples interesting lifestyle choices.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    what are your thoughts about a juice fast like what they did in the documentary? anyone out here try it at all?

I watched it and the guy's tenacity impressed me and he obviously influenced people around him to cut the junk food,sugars, etc which has to be a good thing.

But, I'd say living on just juiced veggies isn't the way the go and it's a way too narrow focus for the long-term.

Of course you'll lose weight eating this way (and some exercise) but how does this teach anyone about what varieties of food they can eat and be healthy?

I would wager he could have eating steak each day with some veggies and got the same result.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    only a good idea if it's medically supervised.
  • faithgriggs
    Options
    I'm not talking long term !!! I eat essentially pretty healthy,just have KILLER sugar cravings.thinking this might kind of retrain my taste buds.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I watched the movie and actually try to do it for a while :)

I did it for about a month and it got very boring real fast. It wasnt something I could stick with long term and was hard to maintain. I did feel better but it wasnt really worth sticking with long term imo! I also didnt lose any real weight :( so thats another major reason i stopped!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I saw it and was impressed by his results, but I think it was a bit drastic the way he did it. I'm also not sure it's really all that safe to lose weight that quickly, or by the elimination of so many other healthy foods. In terms of his urticaria symptoms going away, there's really no way to know if that was due to the juice, or to eliminating some other allergen, such as gluten, lactose, soy, and/or nuts. I'd hazard a guess, "clean eating" would have been just as successful in eliminating his symptoms.

By the way, for the sake of full disclosure, I tried a juice fast and couldn't even last 2 days without having to eat some solid food. In addition, most of the recipes out there on the interwebz are just plain nasty. For example, anything with raw beets in it tastes like dirt.

Now, I do occasionally still juice, but only as part of a more balanced diet. (And I avoid the beets!)
  • Roanokejoe2
    Options
    I'm not talking long term !!! I eat essentially pretty healthy,just have KILLER sugar cravings.thinking this might kind of retrain my taste buds.

After seeing FS&ND, I went out and bought a Breville juicer. My gf and I have morning juice every day. It has made it super easy to get the necessary servings of fruits and vegetables I need. If you look at the program, there are different "fasts." You can do a weekend, long weekend, week, two-week, or a month. Adding fresh juice (Not V8) to your diet can only be a good thing. Dang tasty too!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Another thing I would add is that the nutrients in some vegetables are vastly more available to the body if they are cooked and I am all for getting the most out of what I eat.
  • kwoodson94
    kwoodson94 Posts: 37
    Options
    Not sure about the juice fast but I have experience with HMR fasting. You "drink" your protein several times a day and you drink water. My husband and I were both elated, we lost 50 lbs each and it was pretty fast. It was monitored weekly by a doctor, etc... There were 2 main problems, after we got over the week long headache, we felt better but we were literally starving! Somedays were easier then others but man, I would have knocked a kid down for a carrot stick! Not kidding. The other problem was,once we started to eat again, even though it was very strick, like 1 meal a day and liquid for the others, we immediately began to gain weight.
    The experience is also responsible for one other thing, in my opinon. I now cannot eat salt. Even the tiniest bit will make me retain water. That never was an issue ever, and now it is and has not gone away.
    In short, I would only recommend a fast as part of a religous belief or as a cleansing to get the icky stuff out of your body before you start on a program like this.
    Hope this helps. Kathy
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have thought about drinking the juice fast drinks in addition without giving up food. I would drink them instead of sodas or other unhealthy drinks I like, but I would not replace food with them for any amount of time, unless I got into a situation where a doctor would recomend it to me. But since I am not in that situation now, I don't see a reason to do that, I would rather just eat them.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, documentaries may have bias and may lack sound research, but because they are very convincing they may cause people to apply those things to their daily lives.

This may be one example.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    eat right.work hard. period.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's a convincing, touching story. But I'm fundamentally against juicing because you're taking all the fiber out of good foods. Fiber's what makes you full and is good for your digestive and even cardiovascular systems. If he had done smoothies of all those vegetables instead, or just eaten them, I would've been more on board.
  • chojolitos
    chojolitos Posts: 100
    Options
    Juicing is a great way to cleanse your body and loose some pounds!!!!
    Youn don't have to doit for a long time to gain some benefits. Try it for 7 days and you'll feel better and ready to reach your goals .:drinker:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    only a good idea if it's medically supervised.

I agree with this. It'd be a huge shock to your body, especially if it's used to a lot of fats and carbs, sugars, all that kind of stuff. If you were to do it, you should at least notify your doctor.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just eat food and work out.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Juice fasts are amazing for around 7-10 days, its a great way to cleanse the body. I was doing fresh juice for breakfast for a while and it was amazing how just that one meal made such a difference. That documentary is amazing, and is the root of my interest in non-conventional sources of medicine. I say try it, you'll probably feel really really crappy for a few days while your body is flushing everything out and detoxing, but I've heard excellent reviews from individuals who have done them.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    eat right.work hard. period.
    ^
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Just eat food and work out.

Yep! :happy: