I've WASTED over a year of my life!!!

Options
By trying to diet! I've tried low carb- several times! 17 day diet- several times! You name it, I've tried it!!! I've watched others who started after me on MFP have GREAT SUCCESS! I'm happy for them but not me! Why.....?.... BECAUSE.... I think I'll lose the weight faster by being on some super strict diet and time and time again I do great for a week, maybe 2 and then I throw in the towel and binge for a week or 2... This cycle repeats over and over!! The moment you tell me I cant have a certain food, that's the food I want the MOST!!!!!

So........ I'm miserable, DEPRESSED, grumpy, clothes don't fit, don't want to go in public, especially to a pool or beach! The final straw was back in June I celebrated my 20th anniversary with my wonderful husband. My gift was a second honeymoon to any " all inclusive resort" that I wanted to go to. He even got vacation from work for Aug 6th. I REFUSE TO GO!!!! I do NOT want to go on my second honeymoon to a sexy resort THIS OVERWEIGHT!!! I don't want to remember how miserable and NOT SEXY I felt for my 20th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!!! So the plan is we will go sometime in early 2013....... I should explain 2 years ago I was a fit 150 pounds, able to run 5 miles 2-3 times a week... Felt HAPPY, SEXY! Then some VERY stressful things happened and I turned to food and wine to cope......

I NEED TO CHANGE MY LIFESTYLE AND LOSE THIS WEIGHT!!! I reset my goal to 1 pound week, I plan to start walking and weight lifting 4-5 times a week and as I'm able add in eliptical and running. I plan to eat what I feel like AS LONG AS IT FITS INTO MY DAILY DIARY. MODERATION!!!! NO FORBIDDON FOODS!!! NO BINGES!!!!!

I FINALLY UNDERSTAND ITS GOT TO BE A LIFESTYLE CHANGE- NOT A DIET!!!!

Replies

• tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congratulations on your 20th wedding anniverary! =)
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me. You can do it this time! I also weighed less than I do now just 2-3 yrs ago until some bad shi!t happened and I got really depressed and over ate and drank. It is so frustrating. I just now can finally fit back into all the clothes I wore before the weight gain. And I think of the last few years and how I did this to myself. But I am finally doing it by making a lifetime commitment and you can too! feel free to add me if you need some support.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I understand. I'm constantly gaining and losing the same 10 pounds.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Now stick to it. Even when the scale doesn't move, understand that it's not NUMBERS that count, but your overall feeling. Measure yourself if you haven't already and watch those inches shrink. Best wishes.
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love MPF just for the reason I can track my food and exercise and not restrict myself. You can have whatever you want but are responsible to stay in the calorie range, and food choices become easier to make in order to eat healthy. I worked out and busted my rear this week and stay below my calories, but only lost 1/2 lb. But maybe 2 more will come next week with more ease....Losing weight has never been easy for me, and has been a life long battle...YOU CAN DO IT!
  • kwoodson94
    kwoodson94 Posts: 37
    Options
    I know what you mean. I gained so much weight when I was diagnosed with RA and put on steroid therapy. It was horrendous. That was 18 years ago and I have been on a up and down spiral since then, tried everything, even fasting. I now need 2 hips replaced and got a bariatric sleeve to launch me into my weight loss. It worked. I lost 50 lbs. but then it slowed down. I wasted a couple months trying one day, blowing it the next. FInally I realized this is my life and no matter what happens it is up to me. I have to control what I put in my mouth and what comes in this house. If it is here, I will eat it!
    Once I got serious, I came to this site which several people I know have raved about. I know now, that I am absolutely able to wake up every day and make a choice. I feel excited now, eager to get to my goal. But, I have stumbled and will stumble again I am sure. The difference is, I don't dwell on it. It happened, ok.....now get back in the wagon. Thats all. It is not the end of the world.
    I wish you well. There are so many positive and helpful people here. You can do! Take control back! You deserve it. :flowerforyou:
  • move257
    move257 Posts: 313
    Options
    It sounds like you have the right mindset... I wish you the best of luck, I know you'll get there!! :)
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary! You can do it, one day at a time. If you are not where you want to be come 2013, you need to go on the vacation. Don't look at it as "I am not at the right weight", but as a great place to start. With the trip you could plan activity that requires exercise. Someone else is cooking so you can eat healthier. And with vacation you can devote time for a healthier you and some time with your hubby!
  • vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Welcome back for good!!! I've only been on here for a couple weeks because for years I've been the same weight and I could never get it off. The calorie counting keeps me on track and I'm with you, I realized it's not about diets, but about what your putting in your body... you can eat a lot and still be allowed to.

The biggest reward is going to be when you are so proud to take that vacation and you're packing those bags girl!!
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I lost the weight before, I just bascially did some form of exercise most days and I kept a food journal (on paper) There was no taboo foods, I didn't eliminate carbs. I just kept calories around 1500-1800 and I know there were days I went over and days I went WAAAAYYYYY over but I got up the next morning and started fresh. It just took a long time to drop the weight. I averaged 6 pounds a month. But I now realize I've wasted 18 MONTHS!!!!! If only I started correctly 18 months ago!

This time I do have about 48 pounds to lose (YES! I weigh MORE this time around! ) So on one hand I tell myself that it will take 8 MONTHS to lose it but than I need to remind myself it's a LIFESTYLE NOW and I need to do this my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE!!!

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You have got a great plan and just take it day by day! This website is great and there is a HUGE amount of support! Don't base things necessarily with the scale-- definitely measure yourself first! Also take before pics too! Happy Anniversary and feel free to add me if you like! :smile:
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I used to be this way. MFP has given me the tools I need to finally lose weight. At first I didn't have any bad foods. I just kept track and tried to eat in moderation. To date I have lost almost 30 pounds. I workout twice a day most days. I hated exercise at first and now I am a complete endorohin junkie. As I have lost weight I have changed my nutrition. I would love to offer you support in your weight loss.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good for you for understanding this should be a lifestyle change! I've also understood this myself recently and I've been reading lots and educating myself on clean and lean eating. I am starting the 2-week kickstart diet this weekend and I am hoping to stick to it for the rest of my life.

It's going to be tough, but it will be so worth it! Keep going and be strong!
  • sradnan
    sradnan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to be this person!! It's all about eating, restricting, overeating, falling off and trying to pick yourself up again...can I suggest checking out http://www.paleoforwomen.com/the-most-common-pattern-of-overeating-and-how-to-stop/ ... I seriously had such a messed up system before doing a Paleo reset...it's crazy how much foods can affect everything from your mood to your ability to feel satiety and happiness...you don't have to restrict or worry about macros and what not...once your body relearns how to function properly and run like a smooth machine it will all become so natural and you'll get to a healthy weight your body wants to be at!
  • nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on 20year of marriage. Now you have a solid goal in mind you know what you have to aim for.

Just keep your holiday in mind when temptation creeps in, as it will.. regularly.

There's loads of support here for you.
  • birdi0421
    birdi0421 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for you. It really is a lifestyle change. And anything that makes you lose a ton a weight overly quickly isn't usually healthy, sustainable or realistic! I've learned that the last year as well. And accepting that the weight didn't come on overnight and will not come overnight has helped me appreciate the smaller changes I see and maintain. Best of luck to you! And congrats on 20 years! I'm sure your husband still finds you as sexy as the day you married!!