Calories Burned Calculators

Options
It occurred to me today when I read a post on Ellen Barrett's wall ((She's on FB and it's the REAL Ellen. I LOVE her workouts.)) inquiring about calories burned estimated by body weight. :) I had not thought of this, but it makes sense. The heavier you are, the harder you have to work, thus more calories burned than the average listing. Here is a calculator I found that seems to be pretty spot on with the others.

Thoughts?

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Replies

• anitac0126
    anitac0126 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well, color me happy!! Myfitnesspal already counts calories burned based on your current weight. :) I don't remember seeing that specifically stated anywhere, but I'm just tickled to death! :bigsmile:
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but for some reason MFP WAY over estimates how many calories are burned!! I got an HRM and my calorie burn is usually half of what MFP was saying. I think this is why at the beginning of my journey, I was not losing weight. After I got my HRM and got an accurate calorie burn, I started losing weight.
    Don't trust the calorie burn on MFP!!
  • Faith2FeelFabulous
    Faith2FeelFabulous Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the calories burned website. I do different types of walking, like treamill or on a flat surface at different speeds and that website gives way more options to pick from to more accurately tell me what I'm burning. Thanks so much!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but for some reason MFP WAY over estimates how many calories are burned!! I got an HRM and my calorie burn is usually half of what MFP was saying. I think this is why at the beginning of my journey, I was not losing weight. After I got my HRM and got an accurate calorie burn, I started losing weight.
    Don't trust the calorie burn on MFP!!

^^I agree. Calories burned for any given workout vary vastly depending on your age, gender, weight and heart rate. A programmable heart rate monitor is in my top three for important fitness tools (along with good running shoes and a gym membership)!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My bike has a cyclo-computer that tells you calories burned based on your weight and age, and mfp is usually LESS calories than what my cyclo-computer says...whom to believe?
  • TheYankeeBelle
    Options
    Pay the money for a quality heart rate monitor. It's the only way to accurately gauge your calories burned. I like any model from Polar. Before I got mine I was overestimating my burn and not getting results.
  • solarfish
    solarfish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well after two months on MFP I finally bought a HRM (Polar FT60). I just completed a 30 minute row, 6.6km and the HRM and MFP both reported 398 Kcal. So apparently my weight and fitness are bang on what MFP is estimating right now, no doubt things will change in the coming weeks.
  • anitac0126
    Options
    As I was posting this topic I was looking at those nifty HRM watches!! That's so funny...now I KNOW I need to get one. But I don't want one that has the chest belt. Just the wrist watch. What kinds do you guys have?
  • anitac0126
    Options
    YankeeBell...Holy Moly on your loss! Great job!! :):)
  • alishaneedstopee
    Options
    hey everyone i am a very bad person at working out..how do i make it easier?? realistic ways???
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with those that say that MFP was greatly overestimating. I got an HRM about three months ago and MFP would have my cycling at over a thousand calories while my HRM has me at 600. Everyone NEEDS to get one. I have a Polar FT7 and I use it every day.

And for the person that said the rower was spot on, sometimes the equipment syncs to your HRM. I found this out at my gym, where initially the calories were greatly overestimated because they are sized for a muscular, tall male. However, those that say Polar sync to your HRM. Pretty neat.
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    I think the accuracy of mfp's calories burned calculator really just depends. Because for me, MFP always underestimates my calories burned. I caculate my calories burned off of this website:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx