"big" breakfast ideas?

Options
invisiblemonster
invisiblemonster Posts: 35 Member
(i hope i'm posting this on the right board?)
i hear everywhere that you're supposed to have a big breakfast, a medium lunch and a small dinner. i keep struggling with this because i usually have 1 slice of toast for breakfast or no breakfast at all.
anyone got some ideas they'd like to share?!

Replies

• ewai05
    ewai05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Ideas....

1. Oatmeal, banana, blueberries, nuts, 1/2 cup milk, and top with cinnamon
    2. 2 French toast topped with warm blueberries, strawberries, and honey and top with cinnamon
    3. better n' eggs substitute - omelette with peppers, onions, and mozzarella cheese, and tomato on the side, 1-2 slice of toast
    4. wheat english muffin with 1-2 teaspoon peanut butter and some bananas
    5. 1 cup cereal with banana and some milk, add some cinnamon
    6. toast with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and bananas, topped with cinnamon

I love cinnamon!
  • invisiblemonster
    invisiblemonster Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i'm actually very allergic to cinnamon, haha
    but thank you, i'll definitely try some of these! just without the cinnamon :p
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Pancakes!
    Eggs, Hash Browns, bacon and Toast!
    Sorry that is what I think of for big breakfast.
    But very filling small portion breakfast is oatmeal.
    I love to put some coconut oil in with the hot water and then maybe some type of fruit cut up into the plain oatmeal.
    I don't do the flavored.
    But since I don't eat that anymore my usual go to breakfast is 3 pieces of turkey bacon one fried egg and 1/4 of an avocado.
    Keeps me full for hours, especially paired with a big cup of tea.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    you don't have to have a big breakfast if you don't want to. I used to never eat breakfast at all, and now i eat a small breakfast, granola bar or yogurt... eat what feels right for you
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I saw an episode of Dr Oz a few weeks ago saying breakfast should be the biggest meal and the the rest should be smaller through the day. It makes sense. I started eating a bigger breakfast and feel better now. I don't eat for about 2 hours after I wake up, just have coffee and feed the dogs and do some other stuff. I like a late breakfast because my normal routine is leaving around 11am for work. During the busy season I often have very early visits and may leave as early at 4:30 or 5am. But I do come home in a few hours and always eat right away.

I am so hooked on smoothies right now too. Try those if you don't want a lot of food. I usually have a smoothie with a boiled egg or steel cut oats. It may not seem big but it fills me up and gives me energy.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    eggs, bacon/sausage, fruit, and toast is my idea of a biggish breakfast. (ok, technically my idea of a big breakfast is an 8 ounce rib eye, 2 eggs, fruit, biscuits, and hashbrowns, but I'm assuming you don't want to go that far)

Except I would eat it at lunch time because I don't eat breakfast.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i hear everywhere that you're supposed to have a big breakfast, a medium lunch and a small dinner. i keep struggling with this because i usually have 1 slice of toast for breakfast or no breakfast at all.

the premise is false. you can spread out your calories however you like.

but if you want a nice big breakfast, try
    3 eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 1 slice of toast, 1/2 cup of oats, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 2 tsp sugar, and 1 scoop of whey protein. That should be about 1000 calories or so.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I saw an episode of Dr Oz a few weeks ago

Avoid any advice following this phrase
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

^^this.

But if you actually find that you do well on a big breakfast my favorite is egg whites with veggies and cheese, fruit, low sodium v8, coffee, maybe some chicken or turkey sausage (not necessarily all of this at once.) Carbs do me no good in the morning (I am by no means low carb), so I avoid bread/pancakes/waffles for breakfast most days.
  • cardioandcupcakes
    Options
    I always try to have a breakfast high in protein to keep me full throughout the day.

This could be: greek yogurt (high in protein) with an apple or some berries (good for fibre)

1 egg with 1/2 cup egg whites scrambled, turkey bacon, some cheese on bread of your choice

Those are what I stick to. Protein is key!
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    If you're not use to any breakfast, you might want to start small and build. Here is my favorite breakfast :

soft-boiled egg
    whole wheat toast
    -cut off crust for dunking in yolk
    1 oz Greek Yogurt
    -spread on remaining toast
    1 T of Fruit Perserves
    -spread on Yogurt and toast

That's 190 calories, 14 g of protein.

If you not much of a mornig eater at all, do a protein shake. I do a protein shake with coffee as my second breakfast.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Oatmeal (150) cooked in 8oz milk (80) with 2 tbsp peanut butter mixed in (200)= 430 calories. Add fruit and yogurt for more calories or a hardboiled egg
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    7-9 oz steak, side of country potatoes, 3-4 scrambled eggs, toast, and a glass of whole milk :-)
  • ifyouwanttosingout
    Options

Right on.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Most days for breakfast I have 2 eggs, 4 slices of Butterball thin and crispy turkey bacon, 1 packet of instant grits, and a slice of sprouted grain bread, with 1 tb of cream cheese, and 1/2 tsp of jelly for about 450 calories.
  • macsgirl526
    Options
    Today I had a super yummy and it felt very indulgent breakfast. 2 pieces of Sara Lee Mulit-grain 45 calorie bread-toasted. When it came out of the toaster I spread 2 tbsp of reduced sugar whipped Jif peanut butter.Then I sprinkled about a Tbsp of choc cips on top of that. Yummy and filling. It was all 340 calories.
  • eklipz95
    eklipz95 Posts: 3
    Options
    You would want protein in the morning. If you do not have a job that keeps you moving all day, then I would not have to many carbs and sugars. They feel great for a little while but wear off quickly and your hunger comes back.

Every morning I have 6 eggs, scrambled and sometimes Almond Milk with it.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter how big your breakfast/lunch/dinner is as long as you are in a calorie deficit. I'm total opposite. Breakfast is my smallest meal, medium is lunch, and biggest is dinner. Eat when you are hungry. If you don't feel hungry until 2pm, then eat then.

My ideal big breakfast is some eggs, 2 slices of sausage, 2 slices of bacon, hash browns, and a side of biscuits & gravy..... I don't eat that every day though. I haven't in the past year. If I'm craving that now though, I make a 2 egg omelette with 2 turkey sausage links from Banquet (taste pretty much the same, sodium though) or you could even add in 2 slices of turkey bacon. All good.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    7-9 oz steak, side of country potatoes, 3-4 scrambled eggs, toast, and a glass of whole milk :-)

I dig your meal...a lot...minus the whole milk.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Omelet. One egg and 3 egg whites. Stuff with veggies, turkey bacon, thin sliced swiss cheese.

Eat like a King for breakfast, a Prince for Lunch, and a Pauper for dinner. Old saying. Older than me :)