Fat,Sick and Nearly Dead

Options

Replies

• chojolitos
    chojolitos Posts: 100
    Options
    I agree about the fiber but I use the pulp to make muffins, soups, popsicles:flowerforyou:
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking long term !!! I eat essentially pretty healthy,just have KILLER sugar cravings.thinking this might kind of retrain my taste buds.

The juicing probably won't help with the cravings. Largely because (unless you're doing only vegetable juice) you'll be ingesting a lot of sugar (fructose), and that is going to feed the cravings.

I used to be in the same boat. What helped me was throttling back my carb intake to about 100 g per day (none of those carbs are 'white') and considerably increasing my protein intake.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I actually just got finished watching it.

I don't know if I can do a juice fast like what was show. I may just drink one juice drink a day if I ever commit to it.
  • RES2333
    RES2333 Posts: 36
    Options
    only a good idea if it's medically supervised.

I agree with this. It'd be a huge shock to your body, especially if it's used to a lot of fats and carbs, sugars, all that kind of stuff. If you were to do it, you should at least notify your doctor.

I agree. Doing something like this should have medical supervision involved.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I have not watched this documentary yet. As for the juice diet, I took a class a number of years ago (computer class) and the instructor took everyone out to lunch each day. I noticed that he always brought his own food.....odd. Towards the end of the week, he told us that a year earlier he had been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and given less than a month to live. Someone suggested the Hallelujah Diet to him and he tried it. Next time he went to the doctors....no evidence of cancer whatsoever. Full recovery. He continued on the diet and planned to have it a permanent life change. It is largely a juice diet.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I loved the film! However, I think its a bit extreme. If I was facing the same medical problems, that this man was, I might would consider it. I did start juicing for breakfast, and felt amazing!! It made a big difference in my day.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine did it, i honestly can't imagine doing it after what he went through for a month.

I started watching the movie and its just not for me. Eating right, within calorie limitation and knowing what you eat (rather than fast food/restaurant where you have no idea whats in the food) and working out enough is something I can handle for the rest of my life
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen this. I have done a mostly juicing detox for 14 days before. Juice or soup for breakfast and supper, clean meal for lunch. It is the Clean program by Dr Junger, you can get all the info off the website in the downloads section on my.cleanprogram.com
    It did wonders for me, my horrible dry skin and hair turned soft without lotion, my knee and back pain disappeared, and my rosy cheeks went away (they look like I might have that rosacea or whatever thing I see on TV ads saying their product will get rid of it).
  • isabliss
    isabliss Posts: 4
    Options
    Maybe I would try it with just liquids like smoothies made with soy milk and fruit and some veggies but not just fruit & veggie juice. Seems a little extreme. I admire the willpower they had in that documentary to stick with that for so long. If I ever did something like that it'd have to be for a few days to a week, max.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I saw the movie, and I tried the juice only for about 3 days, and I felt really good. But drinking only vegetable and fruit juice long term was undo able for me, because I felt hungry all the time...

I started a raw vegan diet 80/10/10 80% carbs, 10% protein, 10% fat, 45 days ago, and I've lost 36 pounds, and I've noticed numerous health benefits, like getting off insulin, and my blood sugar levels have stabilized using oral diabetic meds alone.
    I drink a lot of green smoothies, kale or spinach, with bananas, and frozen fruit. Leafy greens are the key to health I believe.

80/10/10 Clip... And you don't have to buy any books or DVD's, theres enough free information available to learn how to eat healthy and reverse disease...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o
  • faithgriggs
    Options
    thank you to everyone :) I think i am addicted to chewing!!!---that's exercise right? kidding ! Think i will use it as a meal replacement/snack and keep working out etc......
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    all of the sugar and none of the fibre.....sounds legit!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I like to chew my food!!! lol.. im just sick of 'fad diets' and short short term.. i have like 70#'s to loose.. so I just want realistic.. not overwhelming.. not depressing.. and a 'plan' that is to monitor the foods I do eat (tracking) exercise more.. to see calories earned.. and not suffer through!!... I think most short term 'diets' 'juicing/fasting'..for too long then ur almost like gonna wanna make up for it and eat worse when your "free" from the fast?! idk.. eating/diet is on an individual basis :bigsmile:
  • faithgriggs
    Options
    I like to chew my food!!! lol.. im just sick of 'fad diets' and short short term.. i have like 70#'s to loose.. so I just want realistic.. not overwhelming.. not depressing.. and a 'plan' that is to monitor the foods I do eat (tracking) exercise more.. to see calories earned.. and not suffer through!!... I think most short term 'diets' 'juicing/fasting'..for too long then ur almost like gonna wanna make up for it and eat worse when your "free" from the fast?! idk.. eating/diet is on an individual basis :bigsmile:

:)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's an extreme diet, which might be a good thing for the right people. I really enjoyed the movie and briefly considered trying it, but realized that MFP was working for me, and I didn't have any need for anything that drastic.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking long term !!! I eat essentially pretty healthy,just have KILLER sugar cravings.thinking this might kind of retrain my taste buds.
    Exactly!!! I have done some juice fasting and i can say that it is GREAT for breaking addictions and bad habits related to eating. It doesn't have to be 60 days, or even 10. A 1-3 day juice fast can really help adjust your taste buds from a high salt/high fat diet to a vegetable based diet. I highly recommend juice fasting, but only if you do it right!
  • beckers80
    beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie, and I tried the juice only for about 3 days, and I felt really good. But drinking only vegetable and fruit juice long term was undo able for me, because I felt hungry all the time...

I started a raw vegan diet 80/10/10 80% carbs, 10% protein, 10% fat, 45 days ago, and I've lost 36 pounds, and I've noticed numerous health benefits, like getting off insulin, and my blood sugar levels have stabilized using oral diabetic meds alone.
    I drink a lot of green smoothies, kale or spinach, with bananas, and frozen fruit. Leafy greens are the key to health I believe.

80/10/10 Clip... And you don't have to buy any books or DVD's, theres enough free information available to learn how to eat healthy and reverse disease...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o
    THIS!!!! I love juice fasting on rare occasions and it was a GREAT way to help with transitioning, but 80/10/10 is what i am doing for the long term. Green leafies and fruit are the way to ultimate health and fitness!!!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Somedays were easier then others but man, I would have knocked a kid down for a carrot stick! Not kidding.
    Too funny. But I love food too much to fast.